Garden 2017

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
ddd75
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 932
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Garden 2017

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:53 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:had to replant some of mine.. used some older seeds and they didn't do anything.. oh well.


I trash my old seeds every year ... been there done that... gardening is too much work not to start off on the right foot. That stinks hope it works out well.


got most of it replanted and we got a few days of rain, so that helps.

I'm trying some flowers in between rows of green beans.. we'll see if that cuts down the pests.
0 x

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7947
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Garden 2017

Postby 1982vett » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Image

Cantaloupe crop is coming in. Haven't had one thes good in years. I planted two varieties of 30 seeds each, about a dozen hills all together. Picked 3 Wednesday, 11 Saturday morning......and 33 today.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17633
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Garden 2017

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:14 am

1982vett wrote:Image

Cantaloupe crop is coming in. Haven't had one thes good in years. I planted two varieties of 30 seeds each, about a dozen hills all together. Picked 3 Wednesday, 11 Saturday morning......and 33 today.


Nice looks good ... I have some growing I will see what they do.. I hope they are good and sweet.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23316
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Vette, those c antelopes look good. Sort of a feast or famine deal isn't it.

Its been cloudy and drizzling rain here so I thought I'd take advantage of the cool weather and break some corn. This is some of that GMO corn everyone is warning us about. Not sure if I should risk it but I think I will because I like living on the edge.

Image
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17633
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Garden 2017

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Vette, those c antelopes look good. Sort of a feast or famine deal isn't it.

Its been cloudy and drizzling rain here so I thought I'd take advantage of the cool weather and break some corn. This is some of that GMO corn everyone is warning us about. Not sure if I should risk it but I think I will because I like living on the edge.

Image


That is some good looking clean corn
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7947
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Garden 2017

Postby 1982vett » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Vette, those c antelopes look good. Sort of a feast or famine deal isn't it.

Its been cloudy and drizzling rain here so I thought I'd take advantage of the cool weather and break some corn. This is some of that GMO corn everyone is warning us about. Not sure if I should risk it but I think I will because I like living on the edge.

Image


Worms won't even eat it...... :lol: Mine wasn't near that pretty but it tasted good anyway.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23316
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:05 pm

1982vett wrote:Worms won't even eat it...... :lol: Mine wasn't near that pretty but it tasted good anyway.


Exactly! Just goes to show how unsafe it is if the worms won't eat it. I couldn't help myself and went on and ate some for lunch and am now afraid some strange appendage might grow out of my head.

This isn't my corn but my neighbor's. I don't even know the name of it other than its a long string of numbers. Its some new hybrid. His son works for Monsanto so he has a great seed source. I have to say its some of the sweetest most uniform and bug free corn I've ever eaten. I'm tempted to go get a mess of it and put it up but I'm afraid if I did there'd be some hoarding intervention because we have way to much in the freezers already. But man am I tempted.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Northern Ohio

Re: Garden 2017

Postby ohiosteve » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Bt corn. A friend of mine plants quite a bit every spring. He said it's something like 5 times as expensive as the normal sweet corn seed and worth every cent.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5593
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern OK

Re: Garden 2017

Postby cow pollinater » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:32 pm

I've more or less given up on the spring stuff and am ready to start seeds for the fall garden. I did have good germination on a few things, it just all wound up at the end of the rows. Torrential rain has a way of causing slight erosion on freshly tilled soil. I do have plenty of green beans and tomatoes coming into production... only took three plantings to do it. My melon patch is about twice the size of 1982vetts but only has three measly plants in it. I probably ought to just pull them but I just can't bring myself to give up on them.
0 x

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23316
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:41 pm

ohiosteve wrote:Bt corn. A friend of mine plants quite a bit every spring. He said it's something like 5 times as expensive as the normal sweet corn seed and worth every cent.


I think he is probably right. I've never grown corn that was this uniform or so insect free. Each ear was nearly perfect and the yield was heavy with most ears ripening at the same time. I walked maybe 20 feet picking from two rows and filled two five gallon buckets. I was also impressed at how little silk it had and how sweet it was. Hands down I think this was the best corn I've ever eaten. I'd hate to know what the seed cost.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Northern Ohio

Re: Garden 2017

Postby ohiosteve » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:Bt corn. A friend of mine plants quite a bit every spring. He said it's something like 5 times as expensive as the normal sweet corn seed and worth every cent.


I think he is probably right. I've never grown corn that was this uniform or so insect free. Each ear was nearly perfect and the yield was heavy with most ears ripening at the same time. I walked maybe 20 feet picking from two rows and filled two five gallon buckets. I was also impressed at how little silk it had and how sweet it was. Hands down I think this was the best corn I've ever eaten. I'd hate to know what the seed cost.

It's the best corn I've ever tasted also. I'll find out how much it costs. I think it's hard to get a hold of. My buddy is in the seed corn business so I think he knows the bad folks who sell this evil seed. I seem to remember $600 for a 50lb bag. I'll give him a call and find out
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Is there a secret to growing tomatoes that no one has told me.
I've never been able to grow tomatoes.
I have the biggest healthiest plants that have been loaded with blooms for a month but not a single tomato.

I'm not doing something right
0 x

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1857
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Image
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:16 pm
Location: Northern Ohio

Re: Garden 2017

Postby ohiosteve » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:Bt corn. A friend of mine plants quite a bit every spring. He said it's something like 5 times as expensive as the normal sweet corn seed and worth every cent.


I think he is probably right. I've never grown corn that was this uniform or so insect free. Each ear was nearly perfect and the yield was heavy with most ears ripening at the same time. I walked maybe 20 feet picking from two rows and filled two five gallon buckets. I was also impressed at how little silk it had and how sweet it was. Hands down I think this was the best corn I've ever eaten. I'd hate to know what the seed cost.

Jo, you are as lucky to have your Monsanto friend as I am to have my seed corn friend. This bt corn is almost impossible to buy, I will leave it at that.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23316
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:47 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Is there a secret to growing tomatoes that no one has told me.
I've never been able to grow tomatoes.
I have the biggest healthiest plants that have been loaded with blooms for a month but not a single tomato.

I'm not doing something right


Are they in full sun? Are they getting plenty of water? If so, has it been rainy and cloudy? This can mess with your pollination. Best to have lots of sun, good soil with plenty of water. You should also put down a tablespoon of epson salt in each hole you dig. This will help prevent blossom end rot when they begin to bear.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.


Return to “Gardening”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests