Marketing a bull

The place to start if you are new!
govols
Cowhand
Cowhand

Marketing a bull

Postby govols » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:45 pm

I've lurked here for awhile but never posted much. I'm a hobby guy by the way. I recently bought a few registered BA cow/calf pairs at our state agribition sale. The little experience I have is with commercial cattle. I'm not trying to get into the bull business but I'd hate to cut one really nice bull calf I have. He's a 10x son and looks really nice for a 8 month old bull calf. I'm estimating he's 750-800lbs right now and had nothing but grass since I've had him. I bought the pair on 3/11.

The problem is everyone around here wants LBW bulls with high CED. I'll list his numbers and tell me what you think. Should I keep him or cut him.

Actual BW 65lbs

CED -2
BW +2
WW +59
YW + 107
RADG +25
CW + 47
MARB + 93
RE + 29
Fat -.045

Maternal side stinks but he should make a lot of beef! I know numbers aren't everything but what would y'all do?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Marketing a bull

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Well, 65 pounds actual BW is low. My average for Simmentals is 87. The -2 calving ease and +2 on birth weight are not very attractive.

There are breeders who want those pounds.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Numbers look good to me I don't worry till 4 or 5's. And with his low birthweight that's a bonus. If the maternal side stinks why did you buy the cow?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

govols
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby govols » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 pm

CEM wasn't great, she's a big cow. Milk epd was low too but she's got a good bag with plenty of milk. I'm not a breeder. Honestly I just wanted some nice looking cattle, averaged $2250 a head on them. I didn't think that was terrible based on what commercial pairs were bringing. They're actually 3n1's, all are set to calf again this fall by ai sires.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:51 pm

If he looks good I sure would use him
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:05 am

If he really looks good keep him don't let some numbers scare you off. Different people buy different types of bulls, every one don't strictly want a calving ease heifer bull. My only worry would be how many bulls will there be, being offered when he's ready for a herd. This year seemed there were more bulls offered than cattle herds for them to go too. But when he is ready it might be different or he might be better than a bunch of others. Wishing you best of luck with whatever direction you go with him.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 am

Stupid question that I shouldn't have to ask but how does one calculate EPD's on a calve like this one here?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Stupid question that I shouldn't have to ask but how does one calculate EPD's on a calve like this one here?

Not stupid at all.

The breed association will provide the EPDs. You can arrive at them even before a calf is conceived by doing "planned matings" on the association websites. If you provide DNA samples after birth, they use markers to enhance the accuracy.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:50 am

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Stupid question that I shouldn't have to ask but how does one calculate EPD's on a calve like this one here?

Not stupid at all.

The breed association will provide the EPDs. You can arrive at them even before a calf is conceived by doing "planned matings" on the association websites. If you provide DNA samples after birth, they use markers to enhance the accuracy.

Interesting. I have papers on a dozen or so cows and all my bulls so I could do this. Only piece I don't have is actual birth weights.
0 x

govols
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby govols » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:45 am

EPD's were on the registration paperwork. The previous owner also spent the money and got i50k testing done according to the registration paper. I know just about zero on the i50k stuff.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 am

govols wrote:EPD's were on the registration paperwork. The previous owner also spent the money and got i50k testing done according to the registration paper. I know just about zero on the i50k stuff.

Post some pics of the young fella and see what the pros think of him.
0 x

govols
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby govols » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:56 pm

0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Disclaimer! I'm not a pro but I like your bull. Hope I'm just seeing wild hair around his sheath and nothing worse. I'd trim that up.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 pm

There is a buyer for him in Tennessee... I don't know who, but there is someone who will be happy to buy him.
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Nice looking bull. Do NOT cut him. Someone would be thrilled to have him breed their cows.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”