Cattle problems.
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Re: calf can't walk

Postby dieselbeef » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:02 am

is it a dairy breed?
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Bguth71
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bguth71 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:41 pm

dieselbeef wrote:any other time on this board yall would've said shoot it. whay waste the time and money with an animal that has little return value...place is getting soft

oh..you must be raising a pet for the kids.

trying ot to be a ddiicckk here but I just don't get it..its gonna be retarded no matter what....

That's what they said. He would be retarded but I'm just having a hard time believing that. And, no, he's not a pet for the kids, they have enough of those. I just feel like he may have been misdiagnosed. What could have caused him to go from walking and "playing with the dog" to down and can't get back up? I had a calf that was oxygen deprived a few years ago and this guy is nothing like that one was. And I don't think your being a d*#k, I think that's your opinion. I'm actually going to discuss euthanasia with my husband tonight just because I don't know what's wrong. And I don't think I'm being fair to the calf as far as quality of life.
0 x

Bguth71
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bguth71 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:42 pm

dieselbeef wrote:is it a dairy breed?

No
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Bguth71 wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:How much was it eating before when it was walking? Could be as simple as being weak from not getting enough to eat

From what they told me he was getting one pint every four hours. That's why we bumped it to two when we brought him home but now we're up to a full bottle and he's still alert, eats well, potties normal. I'm hoping we can find the problem soon. My vet was swamped on Thursday and out of the office on Friday. I'd go to another but the town I live in my options are limited and this guy is good at what he does.

Okay, now I'm confused. In one post you say he gets 2 pints twice a day (2 qts a day), now you say he gets a full bottle, every 4 hours (3 gallons). :???:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Bguth71 wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:How much was it eating before when it was walking? Could be as simple as being weak from not getting enough to eat

From what they told me he was getting one pint every four hours. That's why we bumped it to two when we brought him home but now we're up to a full bottle and he's still alert, eats well, potties normal. I'm hoping we can find the problem soon. My vet was swamped on Thursday and out of the office on Friday. I'd go to another but the town I live in my options are limited and this guy is good at what he does.

Okay, now I'm confused. In one post you say he gets 2 pints twice a day (2 qts a day), now you say he gets a full bottle, every 4 hours (3 gallons). :???:

I'm confused too
0 x

Bguth71
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bguth71 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:31 pm

The people I got him from we're feeding him one pint every four hours. When I got him I moved it up to two pints twice a day (worried about scours). After talking to folks on here I raised his milk intake to the recommended 2 qts twice a day. Sorry for the confusion. So we went from a half bottle twice a day to a full bottle twice a day.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:16 am

allergic to your feed
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Bguth71
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bguth71 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:23 am

Hmm. I honestly never thought about that. What's the best milk replace out there? I can change it, that's not a problem. And if that's the case how do I fix the allergy part of it? We are going to the vet tomorrow so I'll add this to my list to go over with him and get his thoughts on everything.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Sarcasm is hard to convey in type. But db makes a good point. You need a milk replacer that is not soy based.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Bguth71 wrote:Hmm. I honestly never thought about that. What's the best milk replace out there? I can change it, that's not a problem. And if that's the case how do I fix the allergy part of it? We are going to the vet tomorrow so I'll add this to my list to go over with him and get his thoughts on everything.

A milk replacer that is made from/out of 100% milk & milk based products. NO soy. Preferably 20% Protein, 20% fat. Land-O-Lakes "Cow's Match" is a great product. It is not cheap, but it is good.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:51 pm

obviously if e was fine prior to you getting it home and feeding it it is something youre doing..get some replamin and take the advice on the milk replacer
0 x
einstein

Bguth71
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bguth71 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Diesel I believe you missed something somewhere. What I said was: when my family had him, he was walking. When they put him in the barn, after two days he went down. He was down when I got him, so no, it isn't anything I'm doing. The only thing I'm doing is trying to figure out why went down after they put him in the barn but not before.
0 x

Bguth71
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bguth71 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:26 pm

I have not had to buy calf milk in so long that I wasn't even aware they made changes until someone here mentioned it. The bag I got with the calf didn't have any ingredients listed on it but I trusted the people I got him from knew the difference as they've been raising cattle for years. Apparently not. After doing research it turns out it is soy based milk, so we bought something that was milk based with no soy in it.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Bguth71 wrote:we bought something that was milk based with no soy in it.

Good move. A calf can almost starve to death on that soy crap unless they are several months old. Even then it isn;t all that good for them, but it's sure a bunch cheaper.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Yes, there are several "soy" milk replacers now due to the cost of "REAL MILK" milk replacer. And all milk products is the only way to insure a calf will grow and thrive.

Is there any chance the calf got hurt when they put him in the barn? Got scared, ran into a post, hit his head, injured his spine....? Something?
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”