Molasses Alternatives ?

Cattle problems.
lms0229
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Molasses Alternatives ?

Postby lms0229 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Thank you callmefence! I bought cows 2 days ago and I am just a girl trying to figure it all out and I am in over my head. I needed cows badly and decided to stop doing business with a neighbor that I allowed to put cattle on my place after his dogs killed 7 of my exotics and he isn't willing to pay me for damages. My exotics can't keep up with the grass and after the bad experience I decided I will buy my own cows to keep the grass in check.

I know that humans can only absorb so much protein at one time but that if we eat something sugary like gummy bears that the increase in glucose allows for our bodies to be better able to absorb more protein. I was just trying to figure out if it was the same principal and if that is why cowboys bought molasses tubs. I didn't realize it was in combination with urea and I wanted to see if there was something similar that they could graze on to increase their absorption of protein without having to buy molasses. I didn't mean to ask any dumb questions. I just want the cows to get the best possible care I can provide. My exotics are some of the best in the country and i think it is because I do try to make sure they are taken care of and I just want the same for my cows.
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Glad some one put you onto the right track. I think for most of us your question didn't translate well.

"I was just trying to figure out if it was the same principal and if that is why cowboys bought molasses tubs."

Buying tubs is a habit for a lot of people, cause that's what they always done.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Ims - the "snickering" you are getting is because newbies always try to re-invent the wheel. Good lush, vegetative stage grass should have all the sugar the cows need. Your job is to provide that source of growing grasses, which can be extremely tricky depending on location. A molasses tub may be necessary during your non-growing season if you will be grazing stock-piled pastures. I live in Upstate NY, so I have a long "non-growing" season, but we put up quality hay, so I do not need to supplement with anything.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:10 pm

lms0229 wrote:Sugar increases microbial activity far more than grass alone... that's why it is fed to dairy cows to increase milk production... so I was seeing if there was a cheap alternative that could be grown and grazed on that would mimick this in pasture cattle in southern parts of the US...

Grasses contain sugars...usually all a cow needs this time of the year is good grazing. I wouldn't waste hard earned money on molasses of any kind.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:12 pm

lms0229 wrote:BC thank you for your answer. I found that I need prilled urea to act as a carrier for the sugar (molasses) for the rumen bugs to properly utilize it. I found out that urea supplies 2.87g of crude protein per gram of urea (46% nitrogen)

You've got it a bit reversed lms.....the molasses is the carrier for the urea. And yes urea has 287% equivalent protein and works very well with a molasses carrier in a high roughage (grass) diet. Unless you're cattle are losing body condition I still don't think you need the molasses or the urea at this time.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:23 pm

TexasBred wrote:
lms0229 wrote:BC thank you for your answer. I found that I need prilled urea to act as a carrier for the sugar (molasses) for the rumen bugs to properly utilize it. I found out that urea supplies 2.87g of crude protein per gram of urea (46% nitrogen)

You've got it a bit reversed lms.....the molasses is the carrier for the urea. And yes urea has 287% equivalent protein and works very well with a molasses carrier in a high roughage (grass) diet. Unless you're cattle are losing body condition I still don't think you need the molasses or the urea at this time.

I totally agree. The trick is having good - not mature - grasses.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Health & Nutrition”