calf can't walk

Cattle problems.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: calf can't walk

Postby greybeard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:21 pm

I read elsewhere that the vet diagnosed the calf today: Sepsis.
Vet gave it colostrum, batril and Dex.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bguth71
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bguth71 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:37 am

Farmerjan: I took him to the vet yesterday. He has sepsis. She did some blood work on him and his white cell count is high, so his bodies fighting it, but she said his chances still aren't good. She gave him a shot of injectable colostrum, batril, and Dex. We're supposed to give him the second shot of batril tomorrow, if needed. After I got him home and the meds set in he began moving his legs, not something he's done before, and when we stood him up to feed him he tried to move his front leg, again something he's not done before. So at this point Im not sure what to do. Give him the second shot and continue trying to build his leg muscles up or just end it? It's a sad situation because he wants to stand up and go, it's obvious, poor baby just can't do it alone yet.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:02 am

I'm not Farmerjan, but it sounds like he's improving. I'd give him at least another day.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:28 am

natural selection would've made this a no brainer..im sorry to be harsh but that's the way it should've went..doing this in my eyes is wrong..it should've moved on the way it was intended...im outta this topic as I just don't really see the point so bash away..i wont see it :hide:
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 am

I know dieselbeef said he won't see this, but how far do you go worshiping at the altar of natural selection? Don't treat an animal that's sick?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:00 am

I definitely would continue with the treatment. You already have invested time & money. Follow it through. He at least has shown some improvement and you have an actual "prognosis" of what you are dealing with. BTW - hitting him with Multimin wouldn't hurt.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:07 am

never mind
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

garyws
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby garyws » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Bguth71, you have a very caring heart. Even though your patient may not live a normal life, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you tried to help. Keep up the good work.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm

I guess I never heard of Sepsis - is this what I thought was Septic, blood poison?
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I guess I never heard of Sepsis - is this what I thought was Septic, blood poison?

Sepsis is what causes septic shock. Merck puts it like this:

Sepsis is a serious bodywide response to bacteremia or another infection. Severe sepsis is sepsis plus either failure of an essential system in the body or inadequate blood flow to parts of the body due to an infection. Septic shock is life-threatening low blood pressure (shock) due to sepsis.

Many doctors view sepsis as a three-stage syndrome, starting with sepsis and progressing through severe sepsis to septic shock.

Sepsis takes different forms, depending which body systems it is affecting the most, and the results can be different forms of septic shock.
One of them is septic arthritis, when joint inflammation is caused by the bacteria entering the joints directly or being brought into the joint thru the infected bloodstream.
This may be why the calf has so much trouble standing and walking...
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Would naval-ill be a form of Septis?
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Perhaps, tho sepsis is usually more severe. Naval infections is a frequent precursor to sepsis in lots of species.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:01 am

Most likely, you are very aware that Naval Infection is totally different than Naval Ill. For those that are not aware, Naval ill, the infection sets up house in the knee joints. Extremely hard to cure.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:57 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Most likely, you are very aware that Naval Infection is totally different than Naval Ill. For those that are not aware, Naval ill, the infection sets up house in the knee joints. Extremely hard to cure.

I was under the impression that a naval infection somehow caused navel ill in the joints?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:23 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Most likely, you are very aware that Naval Infection is totally different than Naval Ill. For those that are not aware, Naval ill, the infection sets up house in the knee joints. Extremely hard to cure.

I was under the impression that a naval infection somehow caused navel ill in the joints?

My impression as well. The bacterial infection starts/gains entry at the navel/umbilical and if left untreated, progresses to the abdominal area, organs and/or the joints. Different stages of the same infection.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”