Canning beans.....................

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

Canning beans.....................

Postby jltrent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:19 am

Anybody canned any beans yet? Yesterday I got started and did 42 quarts (28 quarts peanut beans and 14 quarts topcrop) Also I baby sat my daughters 3 kids as she and her husband had to work and my wife had to work. I am still tired............

I just got done with them at around 7P....................

Here is my work crew (3, 6, and 9).................

Last edited by jltrent on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby talltimber » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:25 am

That's a lot of work sitting there. I remember my Grandma, Great Grandma and her sisters getting together to can. No A/C, just fans in the living room pointing to the kitchen so they would get a little air. Couldn't put it in the kitchen, be blowing the burner/pot too much. If we were all out there putting up hay, and come in for dinner (canning AND made dinner), I'd be glad to be done and out of that house.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:20 am

Snapping them is the longest, but most fun part of the whole process. We snap the ends off then break them in half. Is that what you do when yo can them?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 am

jltrent wrote:Anybody canned any beans yet? Yesterday I got started and did 42 quarts (28 quarts peanut beans and 14 quarts topcrop) Also I baby sat my daughters 3 kids as she and her husband had to work and my wife had to work. I am still tired............

I haven't canned any but froze some canning takes too long and I don't have the time to do it right now.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am

No garden this year, but I've done lots of canning in past years. Just 2 of us now, so we freeze most of the stuff from the garden nowadays, and only enough for 1 year.
I tend to over do it sometimes. I once canned 30 qts of pickles. We'll never eat that many pickles..I just didn't want them to go to waste.

Beans, corn & peas tho, we eat a lot of.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 am

My beans are only about 6 inches tall. It will be a while until I can them or harvest anything from the garden.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:35 am

MRRherefords wrote:Snapping them is the longest, but most fun part of the whole process. We snap the ends off then break them in half. Is that what you do when yo can them?
On the peanut beans I have to string them also, a lot of extra work to go along with them being small also. But for flavor they IMO are bout the best so the hard work pays off during the winter months.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
jltrent wrote:Anybody canned any beans yet? Yesterday I got started and did 42 quarts (28 quarts peanut beans and 14 quarts topcrop) Also I baby sat my daughters 3 kids as she and her husband had to work and my wife had to work. I am still tired............

I haven't canned any but froze some canning takes too long and I don't have the time to do it right now.

I freeze my greenbeans....too much work canning them and they don't get mushy in the freezer.
I'm switching to tattler lids. So tired of the metal ones and i'm always out. Just canned up all my garden potatoes, and it was a good potato year. I'll start on pinto beans, bought not home grown, for our food storage. I can up around 30 pounds a year for that if the SHTF time.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Nice work. Didn't do any canning this year because we still have plenty. Love canned beans but am considering freeze drying them in the future if I can convince myself to get off the money for the equipment.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Just brought in more work.....

0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Not telling anyone how to put up their beans but We lost a whole family of cousins to botulism before I was born from home canned green beans. We blanch them and freeze them....I won't even consider any other way.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:33 am

3waycross wrote:Not telling anyone how to put up their beans but We lost a whole family of cousins to botulism before I was born from home canned green beans. We blanch them and freeze them....I won't even consider any other way.

Its amazing more people don't die from it, but i'm guessing they cook it enough before eating it.
I never blanch my greenbeans. Unless you're eating them without cooking, there is no point in what blanching does. Even if you eat them without cooking, no one eats raw thawed green beans...Just pick, wash, trim and put in a Ziploc bag. After a bit of freeze you can move them around in the bag so they don't freeze together (although they usually don't unless they are real wet when they go in the bag)...but then you can just grab what you need when you need it..It also helps if you have a deep freeze..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:42 am

jltrent wrote: On the peanut beans I have to string them also, a lot of extra work to go along with them being small also.
But for flavor they IMO are bout the best so the hard work pays off during the winter months.

That's a good looking work crew you've put together. Work 'em hard for that winter payoff. :)
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:10 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
3waycross wrote:Not telling anyone how to put up their beans but We lost a whole family of cousins to botulism before I was born from home canned green beans. We blanch them and freeze them....I won't even consider any other way.

Its amazing more people don't die from it, but i'm guessing they cook it enough before eating it.
I never blanch my greenbeans. Unless you're eating them without cooking, there is no point in what blanching does. Even if you eat them without cooking, no one eats raw thawed green beans...Just pick, wash, trim and put in a Ziploc bag. After a bit of freeze you can move them around in the bag so they don't freeze together (although they usually don't unless they are real wet when they go in the bag)...but then you can just grab what you need when you need it..It also helps if you have a deep freeze..

For the benefit of others who may read and believe this to be true....

There are a number of benefits to blanching most veges before freezing....
Most importantly it will stop the enzymatic action that causes maturing/ripening.
Freezing will slow down this process but not stop it. Proper blanching will preserve freshness, flavor, color, texture and nutrients. It will also make produce less susceptible to freezer burn.
It will also kill most pathogens that may be present. Again, freezing will slow the metabolism of bacteria and molds, but not kill them.

To avoid the inevitable forthcoming bs from the princess, here is one link from a quick search.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/blanching.html
2 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:29 am

Thank you Cottage farm. Sorry to hijack this thread. However good information is always appreciated.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Return to “Gardening”