Little advice please

The place to start if you are new!
Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Little advice please

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:16 pm

I had my first calf pull yesterday. Was a long hard job with a lot of stress on heifer, calf, and me and son. We got heifer up and she was licking calf and he was nursing. This morning we went and checked on them and he was right with her and looked to be nursing. Today she has kinda left him on his own. She is about 400 yards away in the shade/pond for water. He is in the shade of some trees. I have never had a mamma do this before...should I be worried or am I just over thinking this? Thanks for the thoughts and comments!

Also, HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO EVERYONE!

Tim
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Little advice please

Postby M-5 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Should be fine just watch about dark or when they get up to move, calf should suck then
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Agree should be fine. Just keep a eye from a distance. Congratulations on getting your first pull behind you. Gained a lot of experience in a hurry didn't you. :nod:
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Some cows, like deer, will tuck their babies in a spot they figure is safe while they go graze... benign neglect at this point is appropriate. with supervision!

It's the 1st of July btw :P
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Congrats on the pull! Long & hard I'm assuming it wasn't just the chains so well done. I calve out our heifers in the barn and keep them there a couple days after just to make sure everything's okay. When they re-join the herd they almost always hide them the first day or two. Older cows generally hide them right away unless we're having brutal weather. If your heifer claimed her calf immediately, especially after a hard pull, I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on the calf & make sure his sides look full.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:11 am

Thanks everyone. Yes...glad for the calf pull experience, especially since it turned out well...but definitely don't want to be doing that very often.

Tim
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Congratulations on a successful pull, keep an eye out but it sounds like mamas got it covered .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:51 am

Yep...everything seems fine. She is doing her job. I will say, it is very interesting the difference in mammas. I have a few that won't let their calves out of their sight and then this...she will leave him and go about her business. I rotational graze and moved the cows yesterday. The little calf stayed laying in the pasture...mamma was really agitated and bellowing. Finally calf came over. I was very happy to see her so upset...LOL. Anyway, I appreciate all the comments.

Tim
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”