Selling Beef on the whole of half

The place to start if you are new!
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Selling Beef on the whole of half

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:15 pm

Do you honestly want to evaluate what your steers are worth?

Check out Fire Sweep's June 30, 2017 Steer Carcass Contest posting of data, before and after photos and carcass values
It's an excellent posting and very educational.
How do your steers compare with the 7 steers pictured these kids raised?

viewtopic.php?p=1429835

spoiler alert
5 graded choice .... with 1 steer earning premiums for the top hanging weight value 2.11 lb
1 Select + .... (1.98 lb hanging weight)
1 Select ..... (1.82 lb hanging weight) 1400 lw 870# hw = $1579

Actual Values ranged from high of 1.29 lb live weight to low of 1.13 lb lw and 2.11 lb h.w. (High) to (Low) 1.82 lb

2nd high price for hanging weight value was 2.02 lb for the largest steer grading choice and hanging 997 lbs = $1974
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 pm

This came across my facebook feed yesterday, might be of interest in this thread...

0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Firesweep,
We dont get that amount of wrapped meat from the hanging wt. (~78%). Ours are hung for about 10 days before cutting. we get more like 60-65% of wrapped meat off the hanging wt. Steaks are mostly deboned if that helps. I saw that same type of thing of facebook and thought they were alittle optimistic on some of the prices on things like round steak, chuck roast, etc.

We feed out steers/heifers (bottom end heifers) average 751# on both (693# on heifers 783# on steers) got $2.80/lb hanging wt on them. average age 14-16 months. 15 to 20 calves per year.
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:15 pm

Either way you look at it, no matter what you are charging if you have visited the meat counter at your local grocery store the price and quality they are selling pales in comparison to what someone can buy freezer beef from a local breeder. My in-laws feed out a few steers a year and sell them at live weight and buyer pays the processing. The total cost usually comes out under $3 a pound which now days it's hard to buy 85% ground beef at that price at the grocery store let alone some good steaks and roasts. Plus you know where your meat comes from too. Needless to say they usually have no problems finding someone willing to buy their beef every year.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:39 pm

SPH wrote:Either way you look at it, no matter what you are charging if you have visited the meat counter at your local grocery
store the price and quality they are selling pales in comparison to what someone can buy freezer beef ....

B.S.
Not always... 15 yrs ago my brother bought an over priced beef steer 1/2 from a hobby farmer at his work place.
He and his wife were so pxzzxd off with the quality, they ended up feeding 1/2 of it to their dogs... and then went
and bought a half dozen cows, just to raise a few good beef each year for their family and friends because he grew up
on a farm and loves doing it.
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:01 am

Son of Butch wrote:
SPH wrote:Either way you look at it, no matter what you are charging if you have visited the meat counter at your local grocery
store the price and quality they are selling pales in comparison to what someone can buy freezer beef ....

B.S.
Not always... 15 yrs ago my brother bought an over priced beef steer 1/2 from a hobby farmer at his work place.
He and his wife were so pxzzxd off with the quality, they ended up feeding 1/2 of it to their dogs... and then went
and bought a half dozen cows, just to raise a few good beef each year for their family and friends because he grew up
on a farm and loves doing it.

That's why you buy from someone that you trust and will back their product. Not saying there isn't crap beef someone is selling out there but I would guess to say the scenario you described is not the norm.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:52 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:This came across my facebook feed yesterday, might be of interest in this thread...

If something sounds to good to be true... it is.
I went and checked the prices at local grocery store and the local butcher shop.
Biggest error in listed prices T-Bone Steaks USDA Choice 10.49 lb not the above listed 16.10 lb
Roasts and Steaks graded USDA Choice averaged $7.04 lb NOT $11.04 that's a 36% difference and these
were the everyday prices Not Sale prices... which a thrifty shopper could really take advantage.
Beef Stew Meat and Lean Hamburger freshly ground from local butcher $4.59 lb not $8.00 and $5.60

396 lbs x 7.04 = 2,788 and 243 lbs x 4.59 = 1,115 2788 + 1115 = 3,903
639 lbs purchased at local grocery store and butcher shop = $3,903 NOT $6,024.24

price to have 800 lb h.w. animal butchered, cut, processed and wrapped 70 cents lb = $560 not $750

Paying $3,900 for 4 H steer + $560 processing = $4,460 vs $3,903 Choice USDA inspected meat from your grocery store.

As for take home 79.88% (639 lbs) of 800 lbs hanging weight also a load of :bs:
Try 68.25% of h.w. on a choice steer for 546 lbs take home NOT 639 lbs
339 lbs roasts and steaks @ 7.04 = 2387
207 lbs hamburger and stew meat @ 4.59 = 950
buying 546 lbs at grocery store $3,337

1300 lb steer $2,277 = (1.75 l.w. or 2.85 h.w.) plus processing 560 = $2,837 (vs 3,337 for a savings of $500)
(this pricing doesn't apply to grassfed or Wagyu influenced or kobe style beef ect.)

In my opinion... if consumer can't save $125 per 1/4 ($500 per steer) buying in bulk... then they are better off buying
USDA inspected Choice meat as needed from their local grocery store... but to each their own.

As for Wal-Mart (and some other grocers) watch out for deceptive labeling!
I've noticed they will package select and standard grade beef cuts and label them in giant letters USDA INSPECTED
but... they do not put the grade on the package. I'm sure that's where bxtchin' starts about Wal-Mart steaks
Wal-Mart usda Choice steaks are as good as any... but shoppers looking to save a buck will grab the super lean
select or standard grade steaks... because they look so lean and healthy... when in reality they are tougher than he//
0 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:42 am

SOB,
You stole my thought process exactly. I saw this post on a local Ag teachers website, so I clicked the link. I noticed that the site was Canadian, so part of the price issue might be the exchange rate into Canadian Dollars ( $1.30 Canadian to $1.00 US Approx). Thanks for taking the time to break it down for everyone on here.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:01 am

SOB thanks for breaking it down. I figured the numbers might be fudged a bit, and realistically a "bargain shopper" will NEVER buy a side of beef because of the purchase price (like people who buy $35 hay for a 4 x 4, but refuse to pay $40 for a 5 x 4 that is better quality and more volume... it is the initial sticker price!). People on a budget buy meat one package at a time because that is all they can afford. We raise our steer for our own personal consumption. My sister keeps asking me to raise one for her (a half), but I can not justify the expense and loss. The kids raised broilers, and the final cost of the birds, whole in my freezer, is about $10/bird. Each one is 3.5 to 5 pounds... and my sister squacks when I tell her how much she would have to pay to buy one (I gave her a few when she picked up her half of a pig we raised). She tells me how much cheaper it is in the store to buy whole fryers.... oh well, more for me to eat!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 am

great feed back. so right now i have a steer thats around 14 months and 850 range. should i wait form him to get to 1000 or would it be ok to butcher him now? i have ppl wanting steaks but i dont want to run off business giving a bad product.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:58 am

I sell 5 or 6 a year. A retired friend of mine feeds them out. I take them to his place 60 days weaned he takes care of everything from there. He gets them to around 1200#'s does a great job! This year we sold them for $2.45 per pound hanging buyer pays processing. Then we spilt the profit. Like SPH stated, this year it was right around $3.00 per pound in the freezer.
B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:09 am

I'd wait until at least August... to have steaks to sell by Labor Day weekend.
You would get more bang for your buck taking him to 1,100 lbs as the skeleton frame forms first... so you'd have
a good bit more meat on his bones and increase his retail yield and your profit butchering at 1,100 lbs vs 900 lbs
You only get to butcher them once.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote: The kids raised broilers, and the final cost of the birds, whole in my freezer, is about $10/bird.

Yup, chickens are my plan to get rich whenever I see grocery stores selling whole rotisserie cooked chicken for
$4.99 - $6.99 per bird.

Now let's see... if I buy 1,000 chicks, buy feed and grow them out, then all I have to do is butcher 'em, clean, package,
cook 'em and find buyers for 1,000 of them... at their convenience... for $6 apiece ...
Then go home and clean out the chicken barn for the next group... while counting all that easy money....hmmm
Well you do the math... but I'm pretty sure I'll be rich in no time! :)
0 x

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:13 pm

does it matter if its grass fed? this steer has been on just grass since march.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:30 pm

ky colonel wrote:does it matter if its grass fed? this steer has been on just grass since march.

Yes

Some steers will not finish on grass in a reasonable amount of time.

We used to buy a couple heavy feeder steers and try to finish them by late summer. They would only gain about 1 #/day on average grass and were select when butchered.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Beginners Board”