saving dairy milk

The place to start if you are new!
deleasom
Beginner
Beginner

saving dairy milk

Postby deleasom » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm new to this board so I appreciate the opportunity to post here and any advice I get.
I have 6 dairy cows and a herd of beef cows. I use the dairy cows to feed bottle calves. I'm not new to cows but very new to dairy. My Jersey girls make so much milk I have to pump them off with a milker until I get more calves. Can I freeze this milk and thaw it for later use for other bottle calves? Thanks again for any help.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: saving dairy milk

Postby dun » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:15 am

Get some pigs to feed the surplus to.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:24 am

I know of people who freeze milk for their own use and it's fine.. just seems to me it would take up a whole lot of freezer space and time to do it.
Make a few gallons of yogurt.. in a cool room it'll last for a LONG time, and it's pretty easy to make
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:54 am

Yes you can freeze the milk for later use. IF freezer space is a problem, I'd suggest skimming the cream to save.
I know some dairies freeze their best colostrum for future use. One even keeps a couple of ice cube trays filled with
colostrum as a handy way of popping a few cubes out for newborns or sick calves that need an extra boost.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:24 am

When I was a kid,mom used to freeze grocery store milk all the time. Bought it when it was on sale in the half gallon Foremost cartons and dropped 'em in the freezer and thawed 'em out as we needed them.
I guess we wuz po folks--just didn't know it..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:16 am

dun wrote:Get some pigs to feed the surplus to.

I agree.. or make cheese with the milk or butter
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

bja105
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby bja105 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 pm

I agree on the pigs. We milk one Jersey. She gives 8 gallons a day. The calf gets two gallons. We keep some as needed. 4 pigs get the rest. Its cheap gain for the pigs. We bought the pigs 4/26/17 for$27.50 each. They were about 20 pounds each. They are now around 80 pounds each. In barely over 2 months, they have eaten only 200 pounds of grain, some table scraps, and lots of milk. The pen was an hour of work, 8 hog panels, and some T posts.
The cow gets very good pasture and 8 pounds of grain a day.

If we don't sell our Jersey heifer, we are considering milking two and scaling up the pig operation.
0 x

deleasom
Beginner
Beginner

Postby deleasom » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:10 pm

THanks for the great ideas. I was considering the pigs and now think that is what we will do. Once I'm better at milking and trust my skills more I will be making butter and cheese.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Don't feed your pigs too much on table scraps... a neighbor fed one almost only table scraps, when they butchered
and cooked the meat it smelled like rancid garbage and was inedible.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:10 am

Feeding straight milk seems to give a bit of a mushy texture to the meat. When we fed milk it was soaking up old bread/bakery products. The stuff that the day old bread store can;t sell. We also finished them on barley/corn soaked in milk.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Beginners Board”