Winner - 'Antiques"

Submit your photo today! You can be the next winner.
alisonb
GURU
GURU

Winner - 'Antiques"

Postby alisonb » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:38 am

Apologies for delay folks :oops:

Thanks for the votes, the lock belonged to my grandfather. Congrats Slick for a close second, that is a beautiful cupboard, is it also antique? All great pics, if you like please give us some background on your antique ;-)

Alisonb

Slick

Caustic Burno

Nesikep

Callmefence
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Winner - 'Antiques"

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:35 am

I'll try and snap a pic of our old lock.. a little newer, but still well aged and working

The Mortar and pestles are pretty old, I think the larger one is from the mid-late1800's, while the smaller one is MUCH older, but would have to ask.. I think 16-1700's?
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:11 am

The Winchester Model 97 was purchased in 1907 and has been passed down three generations.Still all original I know of over 200 deer it has taken no tellin what else
I started to enter our pocket watches I have my great grandfathers, grandfathers, dads and the one given me all from the 1800's all in pristine working order .
Just figured all the paperwork to go along with the Hamilton's and Elgins to prove age would be a pain.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:49 am

The Alice buckthorn barbwire dates to late 1800s . I have several thousand feet of it rolled up. The picture is own my place where I found the calf. The strand of wire had been missed and was stretched tight through the Middle s of two liveoaks. Sorry bout the poor photo I good one before the calf scooted off.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:41 am

Alisonb, Slicks "cupboard" is actually an Ice chest and the tool in front of it was used to move the blocks of ice. Before electricity to,keep,things cold. Slick will have to tell you,the rest of the story.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 am

Congrats Alisonb!

I don't know anything about this icebox other than they were used in the early 20th century before electricity. I bought this one at a flea market several years back without any identifiers. The ice tongs displayed are of a commercial size and would have been used in the ice plant. Smaller ones were made so the iceman could handle smaller blocks better. Commercial blocks were as large as 400 lbs from what I've read.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:27 am

kenny thomas wrote:Alisonb, Slicks "cupboard" is actually an Ice chest and the tool in front of it was used to move the blocks of ice. Before electricity to,keep,things cold. Slick will have to tell you,the rest of the story.

Well...now I feel a bit foolish :oops: :lol: , thanks for the info Kenny. When Slick submitted the pic I did ask him what the tongs were used for. In his explanation he referred to putting ice in a 'box' and I just didn't make the connection of the 'pretty cupboard' in his pic being an icebox :lol2: :help:
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:08 pm

CB - would love to see the watches if you have a chance ;-) . Nesi, have the Mortar and pestles been in your family all these years?

Was searching around in my Late fathers tool boxes(a lot of his father's tools) to see what I could enter(haven't looked in them for ages) but it is always interesting. Mostly building and carpentry tools, all seem to be from around 1920 onwards. Here are some that are quite interesting -

Rabone & sons

Bigger one made in USA, smaller in England thus age difference.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:19 pm

alisonb wrote:CB - would love to see the watches if you have a chance ;-) . Nesi, have the Mortar and pestles been in your family all these years?

Was searching around in my Late fathers tool boxes(a lot of his father's tools) to see what I could enter(haven't looked in them for ages) but it is always interesting. Mostly building and carpentry tools, all seem to be from around 1920 onwards. Here are some that are quite interesting -

Rabone & sons

Bigger one made in USA, smaller in England thus age difference.

Here are my grandpas Hunter made 1882 . I didn't look the dates up on dads and mine.
My youngest son borrowed my great grandfathers to wear to an event.

0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:01 pm

No, those haven't been in my family ALL those years.. the bigger mortar is a pretty recent addition, though the smaller, older one was my grandfathers who was a pharmacist in the old country.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:54 pm

They are lovely CB...would they be considered 'Railroad watches'?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:43 pm

alisonb wrote:They are lovely CB...would they be considered 'Railroad watches'?

Two are
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Here is our old yale lock
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:26 am

Nice one Nesi :D
0 x

Return to “Photo Contest”