If old genitics

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Hollis
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:17 pm

If old genitics

Postby Hollis » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 am

If you could only use old genetics were all u could use. What would you use.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21357
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: If old genitics

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 am

Hollis wrote:If you could only use old genetics were all u could use. What would you use.



Brahman I would go to the Manso bloodline Herefords Vindicator.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 am

Re: If old genitics

Postby JWBrahman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:15 am

CB those aren't old genetics. If you wanna see old genetics dip your toe in one of my livestock ponds.
Image
0 x

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1548
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: If old genitics

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:16 am

JWBrahman wrote:CB those aren't old genetics. If you wanna see old genetics dip your toe in one of my livestock ponds.
Image


Nope. That's cause to move more northern.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: If old genitics

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 am

Image

This is my new jr. herd bull. He is 15 months old but his sire, Leonid of Wye, was born over 35 years ago and his MGS, Prince of Malpas, was born over 60 years ago. Plenty of people still interested in using these genetics for what they are good for, maternal, functional cows.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21357
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: If old genitics

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:31 pm

JWBrahman wrote:CB those aren't old genetics. If you wanna see old genetics dip your toe in one of my livestock ponds.
Image


I have plenty of those here.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4509
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: If old genitics

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:30 pm

artesianspringsfarm wrote:Image

This is my new jr. herd bull. He is 15 months old but his sire, Leonid of Wye, was born over 35 years ago and his MGS, Prince of Malpas, was born over 60 years ago. Plenty of people still interested in using these genetics for what they are good for, maternal, functional cows.


I'm sure he'll produce some quality beef. That's old fashioned thinking from a young man.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: If old genitics

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:52 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
artesianspringsfarm wrote:Image

This is my new jr. herd bull. He is 15 months old but his sire, Leonid of Wye, was born over 35 years ago and his MGS, Prince of Malpas, was born over 60 years ago. Plenty of people still interested in using these genetics for what they are good for, maternal, functional cows.


I'm sure he'll produce some quality beef. That's old fashioned thinking from a young man.



Vince, this picture also proves that grass does really grow here and its not always white. Not sure if you will believe it after what you saw but the cows sure do like it green more than in the hay ring.
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4509
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: If old genitics

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:14 pm

artesianspringsfarm wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
artesianspringsfarm wrote:Image

This is my new jr. herd bull. He is 15 months old but his sire, Leonid of Wye, was born over 35 years ago and his MGS, Prince of Malpas, was born over 60 years ago. Plenty of people still interested in using these genetics for what they are good for, maternal, functional cows.


I'm sure he'll produce some quality beef. That's old fashioned thinking from a young man.



Vince, this picture also proves that grass does really grow here and its not always white. Not sure if you will believe it after what you saw but the cows sure do like it green more than in the hay ring.


We'll be coming up for a week in the beginning of September. And this time I'm bringing my flats boat and staying on Grindstone island at the farm. Every time I think of you I see your dad slipping on that black ice.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: If old genitics

Postby farmerjan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:10 pm

The Wye bloodlines were really good functional cattle.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 am

Re: If old genitics

Postby JWBrahman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:51 am

Hollis/Allforage and the other guys chasing the past,
Yall need to have more faith in yourself and your own breeding programs. There is absolutely zero need for a cattleman to go 50 years in the past to find the magic elixir. It's one thing to use an animal several generations back in the pedigree, it's something completely different to go 50-70 years back in history.

If you can't tell which cattle are successful under your system old semen won't help.
0 x

User avatar
Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 pm
Location: North Texas
Contact:

Re: If old genitics

Postby Backbone Ranch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:46 am

We started AIing a handful of cows each year starting in 2013, so we have not had calves from many of the old Murray Grey bulls in our tank. So far, we have been very happy with our calves by Cadella Park Golden Boy, JOPA Elation Power, MCC Trigger's Champion, and Monterey Marshall. All of these bulls were born in the 1970s and 1980s.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3924
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: If old genitics

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:38 am

Not really old, but I always liked blackmax simmental bull.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 am

Re: If old genitics

Postby JWBrahman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 am

Hollis wrote:If you could only use old genetics were all u could use. What would you use.


Were you asking the advertisers or the commercial operations?

Frame 3-4 cattle are as popular as a$$ blisters at an orgy for 99% of commercial guys trying to make money with a small herd.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: If old genitics

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 am

JWBrahman wrote:
Hollis wrote:If you could only use old genetics were all u could use. What would you use.


Were you asking the advertisers or the commercial operations?

Frame 3-4 cattle are as popular as a$$ blisters at an orgy for 99% of commercial guys trying to make money with a small herd.


I agree 100%. Some seem determined to shove the frame 4 and less toads down the commercial breeders throats just because some show judge said they were the right thing.
0 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests