Fencing With A Tractor

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Fencing With A Tractor

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 am

Ol' 243 wrote:Anyone else use a tractor to fence with, bucket makes a great storage area and work bench, cab is nice to store lunch and cold drinks, pull wire from 3 point hitch. I have used several different vehicles, but I like this the best.

I have and a Mule is pretty handy at as well
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

TexFarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby TexFarmer » Tue May 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:Anyone else use a tractor to fence with, bucket makes a great storage area and work bench, cab is nice to store lunch and cold drinks, pull wire from 3 point hitch. I have used several different vehicles, but I like this the best.

I just finished a 1,200 ft stretch of 5 strand barb wire and used my little compact New Holland TC30 tractor just like you showed in your pictures. The arms of my 3point stick out far enough from the rear tires that I just slide a steel rod between the two arms to hold the roll of barb wire as it unwinds, works pretty good. I will say that the bucket of your tractor looks much cleaner than mine was. My bucket became a catch-all for everything, it got disorganized really fast.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:30 pm

TexFarmer wrote: I will say that the bucket of your tractor looks much cleaner than mine was. My bucket became a catch-all for everything, it got disorganized really fast.

That was taken before I started . . . . . . . lol
0 x

sstterry
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sstterry » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:44 pm

I am a newbie to the Boards, but for unrolling Barbed Wire you can't beat the Easy Fence Tool. My father invented it years ago. Sadly he was run over by a Tractor last month and died. This is not a solicitation because his patent ran out years ago and lots of companies make them now (not as sturdy as the original but cheaper).

0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 am

sstterry wrote:I am a newbie to the Boards, but for unrolling Barbed Wire you can't beat the Easy Fence Tool. My father invented it years ago. Sadly he was run over by a Tractor last month and died. This is not a solicitation because his patent ran out years ago and lots of companies make them now (not as sturdy as the original but cheaper).

neat story.. sorry about your father.

I use a old push mower handle with a small rebar through the barb wire roll.. that way the barb wire stays on the ground and unrolls itself as you pull. most of the time i just pull it with the atv.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:01 am

sstterry wrote:I am a newbie to the Boards, but for unrolling Barbed Wire you can't beat the Easy Fence Tool. My father invented it years ago. Sadly he was run over by a Tractor last month and died. This is not a solicitation because his patent ran out years ago and lots of companies make them now (not as sturdy as the original but cheaper).

Sorry to hear about your dad.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

sstterry
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sstterry » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Thank you, at least he died doing what he loved.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:19 am

ddd75 wrote:

neat story.. sorry about your father.

I use a old push mower handle with a small rebar through the barb wire roll.. that way the barb wire stays on the ground and unrolls itself as you pull. most of the time i just pull it with the atv.

Exact same thing I did, slammed pipe in ground, put roll of wire on it, tied the end of the wire to the ATV rack and drove to the next H Frame and tightened with a come along. Did a mile of fence like this by myself, easiest fence I ever did.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Jalopy
GURU
GURU

Postby Jalopy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Well I like your ideas but what I do with barb wire is drive a heavy steel bar thru the center of an old broken disc blade turned concave down. Then I just either walk off the wire or on long stretches use the drawback on the tractor. Works fine and is free.
0 x
Life is just a series of adjustments ; so keep on adjusting. PB

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 pm

I have two of them. Great work aide.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:07 pm

I like using the Mule. Its a lot easier to jump in and out of, more nimble, and cheaper to run than the tractor and will hold just as much as the bucket if not more.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I like using the Mule. Its a lot easier to jump in and out of, more nimble, and cheaper to run than the tractor and will hold just as much as the bucket if not more.

But does it have air? :lol: . . . . . . . . .you brimmer pimps aren't quite as soft as some of the rest of us. :lol: :lol:
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I like using the Mule. Its a lot easier to jump in and out of, more nimble, and cheaper to run than the tractor and will hold just as much as the bucket if not more.

But does it have air? :lol: . . . . . . . . .you brimmer pimps aren't quite as soft as some of the rest of us. :lol: :lol:

You can get them with air if you want :nod:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”