Bottle calf

Cattle problems.
Jdwest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Bottle calf

Postby Jdwest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:11 am

I have a brangus calf that lost its mother on Tuesday this week. I have it in a dry shaded location with clean water available. It has taken to the bottle well and I'm currently feeding it two quarts twice a day but occasionally she won't take it all and her stomach is growling and making noises when I feed her. She is very lively and seems to be healthy .She had a loose poop today but it didn't look like scours. Should I be worried that she is taking scours or is it just loose naturally?
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Bottle calf

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:14 am

It is probably loose naturally. I am currently feeding a bottle calf now and she had the same thing for the first week or two.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:17 am

It sounds to me, that her digestive system/"stomach" is getting used to the change in milk, from momma's milk to "formula". She should be fine.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:53 am

The moment she wont eat, take her off milk and give electrolytes only..Worm her for stomach worms, bottle calves get them easily. Soon as you see improvement, she can got back on milk. Call your vet and see if they feel medication is needed. BUt the most important thing to do at first is stop all milk if the calf quits eating with their normal gusto...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jdwest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Jdwest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Ok thanks for the replies everybody
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Make sure you're feeding a good quality milk. I haven't fooled with bottle calves in years, but it's my understanding that there are some soy based products out there that aren't much good.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Rafter S wrote:Make sure you're feeding a good quality milk. I haven't fooled with bottle calves in years, but it's my understanding that there are some soy based products out there that aren't much good.

stay away from soy milk
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jdwest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Jdwest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:17 pm

I'm currently using the Purina milk replacer which is not soy I believe
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:24 am

If she is scoured yet still eating good, its probably stomach worms. Paste wormers are best for stomach worms. You can take a stool sample to your vet to find out why its runny. That way you are nipping the bud quick...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Return to “Health & Nutrition”