Pinkeye outbreak

Cattle problems.
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Pinkeye outbreak

Postby Ky cowboy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:26 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Banjo wrote:Put a patch over the bulls eye as well as treat it. You will be surprised as to how much it can heal.
I had a cow last year that both eyes turned white, but I was able to get her in and treat it a couple of times,

Now you can't hardly tell she had pinkeye.

Have done this for year. Patches cut from old jeans and glue from sale barn. Works very well. If bull has already lost one eye before it was even noticed I think the original poster needs to check his cows more often and act more quickly.

And I would agree with you. But work has kept me pretty busy the past few weeks I'm talking 72+ hours a week and I have gone up to check them but he was with a few cows up in the woods didn't think much of it bc it had been hot I did see him in the pond with the rest of the cows the other day was within 30 yds of him and couldn't see any signs. In a perfect world I would check them twice a day everyday but life doesn't work that way
0 x

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Last year I didn't clip my fescue pastures and that may have contributed to it some, whereas I am keeping them clipped now.
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:48 pm

We have so much rain and this farm is extremely wet always I'm just now finishing clipping so I think it might have contributed too
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Banjo wrote:Put a patch over the bulls eye as well as treat it. You will be surprised as to how much it can heal.
I had a cow last year that both eyes turned white, but I was able to get her in and treat it a couple of times,

Now you can't hardly tell she had pinkeye.

Have done this for year. Patches cut from old jeans and glue from sale barn. Works very well. If bull has already lost one eye before it was even noticed I think the original poster needs to check his cows more often and act more quickly.

And I would agree with you. But work has kept me pretty busy the past few weeks I'm talking 72+ hours a week and I have gone up to check them but he was with a few cows up in the woods didn't think much of it bc it had been hot I did see him in the pond with the rest of the cows the other day was within 30 yds of him and couldn't see any signs. In a perfect world I would check them twice a day everyday but life doesn't work that way

In that case don't worry about them. They'll go blind without you.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Have done this for year. Patches cut from old jeans and glue from sale barn. Works very well. If bull has already lost one eye before it was even noticed I think the original poster needs to check his cows more often and act more quickly.

I know excuses aren't justification but I feel like I do all I can for my livestock. And I get the feeling you are trying to be a smart a $$
0 x

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Pinkeye was awful last year around here. 5 empty bottles of Draxxin proved it. This year, my custom mineral was bumped to 800,000 IU of Vit A. It seems to be keeping things in check. I'll see a calf with signs of early pink eye but it doesn't go full blown. Seems to go so far then heal up. I've also been putting Vitamin C in their mineral. The VitC is debatable as to it's effectiveness. Makes me feel good anyway. I've also put up oilers and spray the cattle any chance I get.
0 x

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:52 pm

Cattle produce their own vitamin C...unlike humans, fruit bats and other primates. I guess it can't hurt....too much can cause diarrhea.
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 am

Ky cowboy wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:

I know excuses aren't justification but I feel like I do all I can for my livestock. And I get the feeling you are trying to be a smart a $$

you can only do waht you can do man.. don't worry about it.

take some LA200 .. depending on how many cows have pinkeye. you can put it in a squirt gun or just a syringe. squirt it in there eyes at least once a day.. twice a day is better.. I like to feed them some feed and as they are eating i'll spray them in the eye. make sure you shoot it right in the eyeball.

they'l be better in no time.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 am

If a guy checks them too often, then they are not the stand alone herd that makes without it any help, thus making culling them mandatory to pass muster in this dump.

Hi Mag, pinkeye vacc, a,d, and e supplement added to mineral, clipping heads shorter than cow eyes

All things unnecessary and scoffed at by the stand alone, no check, no maintenance herd. CULLS!!!

:roll:
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:26 am

Ky cowboy wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:

Richard is sometimes a smart a $$ but you have to give him credit - THAT IS A GREAT LINE. Made me laugh. No one is making fun of you. Sounds like life is just busy. If you can get a local custom pinkeye vaccine it might help. The commercial vaccines are not effective unless the strain of Moraxella is exactly what is in the vaccine.
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 am

The vet is coming out today with the custom vaccine. We're going to tranquilize the bull and treat and vaccinate the unaffected one with vaccine and then treat the few mild cases in the cows.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 am

Ky cowboy wrote:The vet is coming out today with the custom vaccine. We're going to tranquilize the bull and treat and vaccinate the unaffected one with vaccine and then treat the few mild cases in the cows.

:nod:
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 am

This year, we have had several cases of pinkeye. Knock on wood so far not in the yearlings that we vaccinated, and fly tagged. It has been mainly in cows and a bull that were not vaccinated. I think that the main contributing factor has been the weeds and fescue stems, as well as flies The hydraulic pump on our tractor is out and having a fiasco getting it fixed, had one ordered and put on but it didn't work either. Next year will try to vaccinate everything, and hopefully have mowing done earlier.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:41 am

Ky cowboy wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:

I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ at all. Just stating a fact. As I said, "do it your way" which I'm sure you will so why even sign on and ask the question.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Stanford777
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Stanford777 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 pm

I had one cow I would've swore would lose an eye, she was completely white and she wouldn't go near the barn so I could get here in the chute, friend of mine came and darted her with draxxin and within two days she was pretty clear, now three weeks later you can't tell she ever had it. This is one of those issues that will run rampant on the part time cattleman who's working a hectic schedule due to the vfd law. But I put up facefly oilers on the mineral feeders and use a friend's concoction on it and after clipping pastures we have no more weeping eyes and no more faceflies.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”