Pinkeye outbreak

Cattle problems.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Pinkeye outbreak

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Stanford777 wrote:I had one cow I would've swore would lose an eye, she was completely white and she wouldn't go near the barn so I could get here in the chute, friend of mine came and darted her with draxxin and within two days she was pretty clear, now three weeks later you can't tell she ever had it. This is one of those issues that will run rampant on the part time cattleman who's working a hectic schedule due to the vfd law. But I put up facefly oilers on the mineral feeders and use a friend's concoction on it and after clipping pastures we have no more weeping eyes and no more faceflies.

When one gets blinded in one eye even temporarily... Their hard to work and handle..theres a segment on doc talk on RFD at 3:30! this evening,on treating Pinkeye
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:The vet is coming out today with the custom vaccine. We're going to tranquilize the bull and treat and vaccinate the unaffected one with vaccine and then treat the few mild cases in the cows.

Honestly, a vaccine is something you give before you have an outbreak. I don't understand the tranquilize either. I just put mine in a chute at the first sign and get them treated pronto. If you vet is going to give a vaccine, I think you better call a different vet.

It is a bad year for flies. If you are in the center of several herds, the flies will transmit everything you can think of. Sight completely gone is quite an evolution. I've had them so bad they got a cloud in the eye. I don't think I have ever had one go completely blind in an eye.

As bad as the flies have been, I've been keeping a close eye on them. There are so many cows around here that worming alone just isn't enough.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:The vet is coming out today with the custom vaccine. We're going to tranquilize the bull and treat and vaccinate the unaffected one with vaccine and then treat the few mild cases in the cows.

Honestly, a vaccine is something you give before you have an outbreak. I don't understand the tranquilize either. I just put mine in a chute at the first sign and get them treated pronto. If you vet is going to give a vaccine, I think you better call a different vet.

It is a bad year for flies. If you are in the center of several herds, the flies will transmit everything you can think of. Sight completely gone is quite an evolution. I've had them so bad they got a cloud in the eye. I don't think I have ever had one go completely blind in an eye.

As bad as the flies have been, I've been keeping a close eye on them. There are so many cows around here that worming alone just isn't enough.

I don't understand the tranquilizer as well.
Working facilities are as essential as the bovine to proper management practices.

I just come to cool off from vaccinating all mine for lepto and fly management with Sabre.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
I just come to cool off from vaccinating all mine for lepto and fly management with Sabre.

You didn't call the vet ??? :lol:
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:59 pm

3 cc penicillin in the eye lid. LA200 per the label directions. Pink eye is cured. I don't use LA200 for anything else but it does work for pink eye.

People are going to call this "old school", but by golly it works. It is in this forum. Several times we have had this discussion through the years. Info is there if you search and use it. But hey, if you can afford a vet for pink eye, who am I to question you.

I've never done the patch thing. Maybe it works too. If my method quits working, I may try the patch.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:15 pm

The patch is good for further fly problems from drainage,,,helps prevent transmitting the virus ,sun light,, helps speed up healing....
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 pm

The bull couldn't see anything and couldn't get him to work to the chute so we tranqed him. The vaccine was given to the ones without symptoms all showing symptoms where treated with la 200. I know how to work my cattle but wanted a vet to look at the bull to see if there was any saving the bad eye. He was optimistic about saving both eyes. We patched them to help keep flies and dirt out of them I'll pull the good eye patch off in 10-12 days and check the bad eye and repatch the bad eye. When we worked them all thru the chute we sprayed them for flies as well (sabre. Mixed in a pump sprayer)

Texas bred
Sorry about calling you a smart be nice. I hadn't slept in 3 days between working midnights and spraying pastures clipping other pastures and cutting hay. I know I should of been keeping a closer eye on them the past few weeks but it wasn't physically possible. Sometimes $hit happens, sucks, but it does.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Farming can get overwhelming..got to choose you'r battles,start with the most important and work your way down.. Like a cat eating a grindstone... A little at a time.....
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:The bull couldn't see anything and couldn't get him to work to the chute so we tranqed him. The vaccine was given to the ones without symptoms all showing symptoms where treated with la 200. I know how to work my cattle but wanted a vet to look at the bull to see if there was any saving the bad eye. He was optimistic about saving both eyes. We patched them to help keep flies and dirt out of them I'll pull the good eye patch off in 10-12 days and check the bad eye and repatch the bad eye. When we worked them all thru the chute we sprayed them for flies as well (sabre. Mixed in a pump sprayer)

Sounds good. I agree with Alacowman. It can get overwhelming. Good luck.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:11 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:3 cc penicillin in the eye lid. LA200 per the label directions. Pink eye is cured. I don't use LA200 for anything else but it does work for pink eye.

People are going to call this "old school", but by golly it works. It is in this forum. Several times we have had this discussion through the years. Info is there if you search and use it. But hey, if you can afford a vet for pink eye, who am I to question you.

I've never done the patch thing. Maybe it works too. If my method quits working, I may try the patch.

Patch definitely works but I always infused several CC's of a mastitis tube under the eyelid. Used it because it is peanut oil based and doesn't seem to wash out quiet as quickly. The Patch simply keeps the bright sunlight, dust, weeds and other irritants away from the eye for about 30 days. When it falls off the eye will be as healed as it's ever going to be.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:41 am

Patch protects from more UV light and other irritation... plus, it gets the thing out of sight of the owner (lol).

ANYTHING you squirt in the eye - whether it's oil- or water-based - will be washed out by normal tear action within 10 minutes or so... probably even faster with the increased tearing that goes along with pinkeye. That said, I do commonly squirt some mastitis meds in there if I've got a tube on hand when I'm treating one.
I still think Vetericyn pinkeye stuff is total BS... it's very(expensive) dilute bleach water (99.836% water!)... not gonna hurt anything, but about all I can see it's doing is flushing the eye... and maybe just stimulating more tearing because you're bugging the animal squirting it in it's eye...

Treating with a systemic antimicrobial, like long-acting tetracyclines(LA-200/300) or Draxxin, which will be present in the tear film at the same concentration as blood/tissue fluids, essentially 'bathes' the eye in a constant therapeutic dose of the antibiotic.

I used to do the subconjunctival penicillin/steroid injections back in the day - in conjunction with LA-200 and a patch or sewing the lids shut - but I'm not convinced that (actually, I'm fairly certain that it's NOT effective) it is helpful.
Once the needle be nice seals up and the antibiotic stops leaking out... which occurs within just a few minutes... that bleb of a couple of milliliters of penicillin will be no more effective than if you'd stuck it in the back end of the cow...and a 2-3cc dose of penicillin in a 1000-lb animal is NOTHING.

Vaccination... I'm not convinced that it's effective... commercial or autogenous... if you think it's helping in your herd, who am I to tell you not to do it?
0 x

Andyva
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Andyva » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:34 am

I've always heard the vaccine was a waste of money. A guy here swears by it. Says he ran out on one bunch, he has places rented with 15 or twenty head, all pretty close together. The bunch he vaccinated had 5 cases and none of the others have had a single one. Yet. I'll be watching him. Sometimes wasting money will make you feel better. I've been wasting mine by charging up the cattle rubs and clipping pasture and trying to treat pinkeye cases as they come. Sometimes I wonder if him vaccinating up the road is giving me more pinkeye. Is that stuff a modified live virus vaccine?
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:56 am

No, andy; it's a bacterin... a killed bacterial preparation.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Lucky_P wrote:No, andy; it's a bacterin... a killed bacterial preparation.

Lucky what is the deal with this Vetericyn. I agree with you it's 99.5% water but everybody in the world seems to swear by it like it's magic. Never been able to waste that much money on water myself. :???:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:28 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Lucky_P wrote:No, andy; it's a bacterin... a killed bacterial preparation.

Lucky what is the deal with this Vetericyn. I agree with you it's 99.5% water but everybody in the world seems to swear by it like it's magic. Never been able to waste that much money on water myself. :???:

Im not lucky-P but another vet I know has said the same thing to me 5 cc bleach 95 cc water and it is the exact same thing. Kinda like going swimming in a heavy chlorinated pool and a cut seems to heal faster
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Return to “Health & Nutrition”