Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

The place to start if you are new!
LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby LDEnterprises » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:51 pm

HML-167 wrote:I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my request for help. I plan on incorporating the changes. It is great to have such experience available on this site.

LDEnterprises - these are the cattle panels I am talking about: https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... el-16.aspx


Like Brute already mentioned I'm not a fan of these panels. The welds break all the time and I've had calves literally go right through them. I'd look at oaks boards before those panels.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21066
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 pm

LDEnterprises wrote:
HML-167 wrote:I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my request for help. I plan on incorporating the changes. It is great to have such experience available on this site.

LDEnterprises - these are the cattle panels I am talking about: https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... el-16.aspx


Like Brute already mentioned I'm not a fan of these panels. The welds break all the time and I've had calves literally go right through them. I'd look at oaks boards before those panels.


Mine is made up of 4x4" panel and drill stem and has been tested by some very salty F-1 tigers all have failed.
The neighbors 2200 lb sim Angus bull bounced off every side when I penned him for getting in my pasture.
Brute that pen is twenty years old and they ain't tore it up yet.
You put enough drill stem braces in and
welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby LDEnterprises » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:17 am

Caustic Burno wrote:You put enough drill stem braces in and welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.


Based on your experience it sounds like it does work welding it like you described. The original poster mentioned using wood like i did with my first corral and these panels. Even if you staple every inch of the panel it won't hold a 250lb heifer. I think i have a lead on a pile of guard rails on the cheap so hopefully wood is in my rear view in the near future.
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14160
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby greybeard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:41 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
LDEnterprises wrote:
HML-167 wrote:I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my request for help. I plan on incorporating the changes. It is great to have such experience available on this site.

LDEnterprises - these are the cattle panels I am talking about: https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... el-16.aspx


Like Brute already mentioned I'm not a fan of these panels. The welds break all the time and I've had calves literally go right through them. I'd look at oaks boards before those panels.


Mine is made up of 4x4" panel and drill stem and has been tested by some very salty F-1 tigers all have failed.
The neighbors 2200 lb sim Angus bull bounced off every side when I penned him for getting in my pasture.
Brute that pen is twenty years old and they ain't tore it up yet.
You put enough drill stem braces in and
welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.

I remember when you said you were going to add the panels to the pipe so you could climb it easier.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21066
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 am

LDEnterprises wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:You put enough drill stem braces in and welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.


Based on your experience it sounds like it does work welding it like you described. The original poster mentioned using wood like i did with my first corral and these panels. Even if you staple every inch of the panel it won't hold a 250lb heifer. I think i have a lead on a pile of guard rails on the cheap so hopefully wood is in my rear view in the near future.


I wouldn't attempt it to wood.
Wood pens in my experience didn't work out well over the years.
In my younger days the rougher the cow the better I liked it.
Father Time educated me that was not the right course to be on.
The glory of metal is I built my pen in an octagon with no corners.


GB age has a way to make you look for safer and easier solutions.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21066
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:22 am

GB this old man penned and worked cows the last two days and I got way too hot.
I had my hand doing the vaccinations as well.
Penning the second day was the stupid tax I had to pay for the first day.
Working cattle is stressful on them and dangerous to us.
The better your pen design the less of both stress and danger exposure there is.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6164
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:25 am

That's what I have CB.

Image
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21066
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:38 am

Brute 23 wrote:That's what I have CB.

Image


Very similar to mine cept I put my down bracing pipe every six feet and used 4x4 panel much stronger than 6x6.
Looking back I should have went every four feet.
That comes with a different set of problems.
The entire pen is a solid weld octagon top and bottom and across the gates.
The amazing thing to me was the Tigers in general were much calmer in that design versus wood. This one s just my opinion they didn't feel as trapped.
This pen design is the culmination of 20 plus years of O Shyt and look at what I have to fix. Is it perfect no such thing.
Brute if I had it to do over I would take my design and build the entire pen out of drill stem, that would be close to perfect.

Image
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6164
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:07 am

My gates are 4x4 panels with 3 horizontal runners.

I made them take 4x4 out of the crowding area because it was a death trap. There was no climbing out. My foot does not fit in 4x4.

I've had hogs break the welds on 4x4 panels on hog traps too.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21066
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:10 am

Brute 23 wrote:My gates are 4x4 panels with 3 horizontal runners.

I made them take 4x4 out of the crowding area because it was a death trap. There was no climbing out. My foot does not fit in 4x4.

I've had hogs break the welds on 4x4 panels on hog traps too.


That is the reason I hung corral panel to climb.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6164
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:14 am

Got ya. That makes sense.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6164
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:21 am

Those pens are at our main, home place. For as much as I say I don't like them I have used them with out a hitch for 15 years.

All I ask is if the find me balled up in a corner one day i want all the CT members to torch them off... sell them for scrap iron... then blow the money on hookers and alcohol.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21066
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 am

Brute 23 wrote:Those pens are at our main, home place. For as much as I say I don't like them I have used them with out a hitch for 15 years.

All I ask is if the find me balled up in a corner one day i want all the CT members to torch them off... sell them for scrap iron... then blow the money on hookers and alcohol.


Old gates or corral panel strategically hung sure will make you feel better and it is pretty cheap insurance.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby BK9954 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm

I tried cattle panels with wood the first time and didnt care for them. Takes a lot of wood. After the wood and panel for about the same cost I bought the solid steel panels. They are moveable later if you want to expand and over 6 foot tall, did my whole coral in them. They are not the hollow cheap crud at tractor supply, my cattle would toss those into the air. These have held through some rough cattle. They link together and I put wood post sunk in concrete to support the place they connect. In the part where they form my cattle chute I used old electric poles for the post. You need something pretty heavy that can withstand loading a big bull.
Image



Image
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby BK9954 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Building my coral alone and on a budget this has worked fine. As long as I keep it painted it will last until I am dead and gone. I also have moveable panels I use inside to seperate it off into smaller pens or make alleys when needed.
Image

Image
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], msplmtneer and 6 guests

cron