Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

The place to start if you are new!
M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1518
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby M.Magis » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

cowboy43 wrote:I do not know of any restaurant that will buy meat from an individual. Too many health factors.

Many do. Obviously it has to pass USDA inspection.
0 x

User avatar
OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:22 pm
Location: Nowhere New Hampshire

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 pm

That's true. I'm lucky, there is a local "Local farm restaurant" that will buy anything fro anyone if I were to butter it up and make it sound nice.
0 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3132
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:47 am

Like others have said fatten them up and take to slaughter house then fill your freezer and eat like a king. Ribeye and eggs is a darn good breakfast.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby farmerjan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 pm

I get jersey bull calves from a dairy for $10 to $20 each. Put them on nurse cows and raise them up as there is too much milk replacer in them to get it back. Around here there is very little market for them except for the individuals that want one or two to raise for beef for themselves. Best time to sell is in the spring here, in the 4-600 lb size. Usually bring in the .70/lb range so a 500 lb calf is worth $350 to $400. You've got that in them.
MAKE THEM STEERS or there is next to no market for them.
0 x

dave_shelby
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah County VA

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby dave_shelby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:47 pm

jan don't you raise Jersey cows?
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17736
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:22 pm

cowboy43 wrote::Growing bottle calves will be a good experience and education for you. How do you plan to market them? The feed cost and medicines for 3 months will be more than the selling price, but you will have fun losing money. You did not give your location, most locations their is not a market for them, you can always eat them. :2cents:


This is a broad brushed statement that is not factual but an opinion of yours.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17736
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:28 pm

M.Magis wrote:
cowboy43 wrote:I do not know of any restaurant that will buy meat from an individual. Too many health factors.

Many do. Obviously it has to pass USDA inspection.


M.Magis I was going to say the exact same thing...

Cowboy I think sometimes it would pay for you to sit back and learn something instead of being negative and not knowing exactly what you are talking about. I am not trying to start an argument but in general one can learn more by sitting and reading than typing in responses of misinformation just to post something.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby farmerjan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 pm

dave_shelby wrote:jan don't you raise Jersey cows?


Yes, I have a couple of jerseys, a guernsey, 3 1/2 jersey 1/2 holsteins, and 4 1/2 angus 1/2 dairy cows that I use as nurse cows. Want to do some cow shares for milk once I get retired so for now they just raise calves and I milk for the house. Have 1 in milk now, 3 calves on her, 3 more due in October. My joints have been a big factor in my not doing much milking lately. Plus I get jersey bull calves off a dairy that I test for when I have cows needing calves. The market has gotten soft for jersey steers lately and I am also tired of people that want them then don't have the money to pay when the time comes or change their mind and all that. Have gotten burned a couple of times, so if they are ready to go and buyers disappear, they go to the market. At least I walk out with a check that I know is good even if it isn't what I should have gotten. The going rate here is about .70/ lb and holsteins is in the .85 to 1.00 / lb.
I don't use sexed semen but get mostly heifer calves it seems. In fact our beef herd has been running 75% heifers for the past 3 calving seasons...we calve spring and fall. And we use anywhere from 4 to 7 bulls with cows scattered at different pastures, so it isn't the bull. Must be in the water !!!!!! I breed some AI and some get put out with the bull. Got my oldest hol/jer cow out with the beef bull, her last ditch chance.
Some of my angus/dairy cows will raise 2 calves if I keep them where they can get grained as it will drag them down on pasture with more than one calf. Most of the dairy girls will raise 3-4 and I figure that if I have to buy 2 calves to go on them plus their calf then maybe one is profit over and above the cost to keep the cow and some supplemental grain to keep her in good shape and milking well, so that she will also breed back. With the price of beef feeders down in the 1.50 plus or minus range, it just isn't very profitable to raise dairy steers, and holsteins are better than jerseys. I prefer the jerseys for beef in my freezer.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2127
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby Muddy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:03 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
cowboy43 wrote::Growing bottle calves will be a good experience and education for you. How do you plan to market them? The feed cost and medicines for 3 months will be more than the selling price, but you will have fun losing money. You did not give your location, most locations their is not a market for them, you can always eat them. :2cents:


This is a broad brushed statement that is not factual but an opinion of yours.

:roll: :roll: to be honest I agree with Cowboy43 with his statement.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17736
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Muddy wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
cowboy43 wrote::Growing bottle calves will be a good experience and education for you. How do you plan to market them? The feed cost and medicines for 3 months will be more than the selling price, but you will have fun losing money. You did not give your location, most locations their is not a market for them, you can always eat them. :2cents:


This is a broad brushed statement that is not factual but an opinion of yours.

:roll: :roll: to be honest I agree with Cowboy43 with his statement.


and you can agree but its not a factual statement its an opinion. It goes back to the old debate of selling hay for 20 bucks a roll and others say no it has to be 45.00 to make some money. Not everyone has to spend alot of money on meds etc and milk replacer. I raise holsteins because they IMO grow better. I can raise them very cheaply and most of the time without any meds other than the vaccines all my cattle get.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2127
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby Muddy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Muddy wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
This is a broad brushed statement that is not factual but an opinion of yours.

:roll: :roll: to be honest I agree with Cowboy43 with his statement.


and you can agree but its not a factual statement its an opinion. It goes back to the old debate of selling hay for 20 bucks a roll and others say no it has to be 45.00 to make some money. Not everyone has to spend alot of money on meds etc and milk replacer. I raise holsteins because they IMO grow better. I can raise them very cheaply and most of the time without any meds other than the vaccines all my cattle get.

So you just kick the jersey calves out to the pasture without any feed, hay or grain costs for three years? It cost so much to finishing (or growing) a Jersey steer to get the desirable results.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17736
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Muddy wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Muddy wrote: :roll: :roll: to be honest I agree with Cowboy43 with his statement.


and you can agree but its not a factual statement its an opinion. It goes back to the old debate of selling hay for 20 bucks a roll and others say no it has to be 45.00 to make some money. Not everyone has to spend alot of money on meds etc and milk replacer. I raise holsteins because they IMO grow better. I can raise them very cheaply and most of the time without any meds other than the vaccines all my cattle get.

So you just kick the jersey calves out to the pasture without any feed, hay or grain costs for three years? It cost so much to finishing (or growing) a Jersey steer to get the desirable results.


read what I wrote again and see if thats what I said
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1192
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm

farmerjan wrote:
dave_shelby wrote:jan don't you raise Jersey cows?


Yes, I have a couple of jerseys, a guernsey, 3 1/2 jersey 1/2 holsteins, and 4 1/2 angus 1/2 dairy cows that I use as nurse cows. Want to do some cow shares for milk once I get retired so for now they just raise calves and I milk for the house. Have 1 in milk now, 3 calves on her, 3 more due in October. My joints have been a big factor in my not doing much milking lately. Plus I get jersey bull calves off a dairy that I test for when I have cows needing calves. The market has gotten soft for jersey steers lately and I am also tired of people that want them then don't have the money to pay when the time comes or change their mind and all that. Have gotten burned a couple of times, so if they are ready to go and buyers disappear, they go to the market. At least I walk out with a check that I know is good even if it isn't what I should have gotten. The going rate here is about .70/ lb and holsteins is in the .85 to 1.00 / lb.
I don't use sexed semen but get mostly heifer calves it seems. In fact our beef herd has been running 75% heifers for the past 3 calving seasons...we calve spring and fall. And we use anywhere from 4 to 7 bulls with cows scattered at different pastures, so it isn't the bull. Must be in the water !!!!!! I breed some AI and some get put out with the bull. Got my oldest hol/jer cow out with the beef bull, her last ditch chance.
Some of my angus/dairy cows will raise 2 calves if I keep them where they can get grained as it will drag them down on pasture with more than one calf. Most of the dairy girls will raise 3-4 and I figure that if I have to buy 2 calves to go on them plus their calf then maybe one is profit over and above the cost to keep the cow and some supplemental grain to keep her in good shape and milking well, so that she will also breed back. With the price of beef feeders down in the 1.50 plus or minus range, it just isn't very profitable to raise dairy steers, and holsteins are better than jerseys. I prefer the jerseys for beef in my freezer.
Same prices I see here on Jersey calves. How long does it take them to get to 500 lbs on moderate feed and grass?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby farmerjan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Ranchman90: I find that if I raise the calves on the cows they are in the 500 lb range at 7-10 months. Depends on the size at birth, some are 40 lbs and some 60, and how long I keep them on the cow. The past few years I have only raised 1 "set" of calves per lactation, so they usually have 3 or 4 calves. I like them to be 400 at least when I wean at 7-8 months. I do creep feed them so to speak, but not a self creep but actually feeding them a couple of times a week. I only feed 2-3 lbs per calf of a 17% stocker feed with a little 14% sweet calf feed mixed in for the draw of the sweet feed. Took a holstein steer that I put on a beef heifer when hers died, and it didn't look like she had much milk and he weighed 600 at 7 months. He stood way taller than the beef calves on the other first calf heifers and was about 200 lbs bigger than they were.
Had a jersey that I didn't pull til he was about 10-11 months since I had trouble getting the cow bred back, there were 3 calves then I pulled one at 5 months as I could see her milk was dropping, left 2 on her; and the jersey steer, weighed about 600 and the other, jersey angus heifer weighed about 500. The better milking cows will naturally wean a bigger set of calves.
They all get some pretty decent grass and the cow gets grained for at least the first 4 or more months to keep her production up and her in a positive energy balance so she can breed back. Once I am pretty sure she is bred, I will cut the grain back or stop it all together as long as the grass is good. I also will usually have a roll of hay available even with good grass and the dairy cows seem to eat it more than any of the beef heifers.
Let's face it, I am asking them to wean off 1200 lbs of "calf" per lactation. They need the extra due to their physical makeup and the demands I am putting on them. The calves will also spend some time at the hay but I don't see them getting alot. It does help to firm up the real green grass effects.
Not for everybody, but since I don't have my own dairy, and I like my dairy cows, had to find a way to make it work and not be a losing proposition financially.
0 x

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1192
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:00 pm

farmerjan wrote:Ranchman90: I find that if I raise the calves on the cows they are in the 500 lb range at 7-10 months. Depends on the size at birth, some are 40 lbs and some 60, and how long I keep them on the cow. The past few years I have only raised 1 "set" of calves per lactation, so they usually have 3 or 4 calves. I like them to be 400 at least when I wean at 7-8 months. I do creep feed them so to speak, but not a self creep but actually feeding them a couple of times a week. I only feed 2-3 lbs per calf of a 17% stocker feed with a little 14% sweet calf feed mixed in for the draw of the sweet feed. Took a holstein steer that I put on a beef heifer when hers died, and it didn't look like she had much milk and he weighed 600 at 7 months. He stood way taller than the beef calves on the other first calf heifers and was about 200 lbs bigger than they were.
Had a jersey that I didn't pull til he was about 10-11 months since I had trouble getting the cow bred back, there were 3 calves then I pulled one at 5 months as I could see her milk was dropping, left 2 on her; and the jersey steer, weighed about 600 and the other, jersey angus heifer weighed about 500. The better milking cows will naturally wean a bigger set of calves.
They all get some pretty decent grass and the cow gets grained for at least the first 4 or more months to keep her production up and her in a positive energy balance so she can breed back. Once I am pretty sure she is bred, I will cut the grain back or stop it all together as long as the grass is good. I also will usually have a roll of hay available even with good grass and the dairy cows seem to eat it more than any of the beef heifers.
Let's face it, I am asking them to wean off 1200 lbs of "calf" per lactation. They need the extra due to their physical makeup and the demands I am putting on them. The calves will also spend some time at the hay but I don't see them getting alot. It does help to firm up the real green grass effects.
Not for everybody, but since I don't have my own dairy, and I like my dairy cows, had to find a way to make it work and not be a losing proposition financially.

Good job. Although not for everybody, looks like a winning proposition from an ROI perspective. Being able to replicate these results seems to be the key element here.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jeanne - Simme Valley, True Grit Farms and 6 guests