Selling Beef on the whole of half

The place to start if you are new!
Duramaxgirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Selling Beef on the whole of half

Postby Duramaxgirl » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:57 pm

This is a great thread. We just butchered a steer this morning DOB 4/3/2016 butcher says he will be HW 560lbs +/- a little and he's always been accurate it the past. We were going to charge $3.00 a pound and that includes cut and wrap. Just selling to family. Steer was angus/Hereford/limosin. All grass fed. Hope he tastes good!
0 x
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy cows... which is pretty much the same thing
“Life is what you make it. Always has been, always will be.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:
Supa Dexta wrote:@ 4.20/lb cut and wrapped here.

You Canadians... always mucking up prices :)
4.20c = 3.25 usa or 60 Mexican pesos

Sell 1 a week usually, but its sort of a hassle. Some people think its a great deal, others think they should be
paying bargain bin prices since they're buying it straight from the old, dumb farmer.

IF the quality is there 3.25/lb cut/wrapped or (60 Mexican Pesos).. may not be bargain bin... but is a good value

Yes dealing with the public can be a hassle (People they're the Worst) :)
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Duramaxgirl wrote:This is a great thread. We just butchered a steer this morning DOB 4/3/2016 butcher says he will be HW 560lbs +/- a little and he's always been accurate it the past. We were going to charge $3.00 a pound and that includes cut and wrap. Just selling to family. Steer was angus/Hereford/limosin. All grass fed. Hope he tastes good!

Let us know how his steaks turn out. He was about 15 months old and must have had a live weight of about 900# based on a 62% cutability.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:17 am

doesn't seem worth it to me to go past 800 lbs for one. You have to keep them a lot longer, put a ton of grain and hay into them.. all to get another 400-500.. plus taking them to the butcher.. etc.. I think I 'might' profit another 100 by feeding them to finish and selling direct.. but with the time, and extra hassle.. just doesn't seem worth it.
0 x

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:27 am

http://postimg.org/image/vaxio9mil/

http://postimg.org/image/c7477x9od/

http://postimg.org/image/joden4z7h/

Here's the ribeyes. These were some of the best I've had even at high dollar steak houses. As long as my family and my customers are happy I will keep doing the same feeding method.
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Duramaxgirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Duramaxgirl » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Duramaxgirl wrote:This is a great thread. We just butchered a steer this morning DOB 4/3/2016 butcher says he will be HW 560lbs +/- a little and he's always been accurate it the past. We were going to charge $3.00 a pound and that includes cut and wrap. Just selling to family. Steer was angus/Hereford/limosin. All grass fed. Hope he tastes good!

Let us know how his steaks turn out. He was about 15 months old and must have had a live weight of about 900# based on a 62% cutability.

Thanks for the info! I'll let you know... He was one of the best looking steers we've ever had. Fat and put lots of weight on fast on just grass. We're still newbies at this though
0 x
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy cows... which is pretty much the same thing
“Life is what you make it. Always has been, always will be.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Duramaxgirl wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:

Thanks for the info! I'll let you know... He was one of the best looking steers we've ever had. Fat and put lots of weight on fast on just grass. We're still newbies at this though

What breed was he?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Duramaxgirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Duramaxgirl » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:43 pm

His dam was Hereford/Angus and his sire was Limosin/Angus. He was from my favorite cow because she's long and deep, and he was forever sneaking milk from all the cows that would let him. He out grew his half brother who was older and bigger at birth.
0 x

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 am

0 x

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 am

sorry that took so long
0 x

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm

anyone have a idea what he would go?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:31 pm

IMO 700ish , I have not read the whole thread but he is a ways off from being ready to kill IMO
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 pm

ky colonel wrote:Image

Guessing from a picture won't be of help, especially a photo with no reference points of any kind.
Last time someone played online guessing game, all the guesses were too light and closest guess was 134 lbs under.
Only a fool would venture a guess.... 888 lbs :)

He could use a good 120 days supplementing with corn.
0 x

ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ky colonel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:29 pm

what kind of weight gain would 120 days on corn do?
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:57 pm

ky colonel wrote:what kind of weight gain would 120 days on corn do?

Lot of factors, how much, cracked or whole, mixed, other type of hay, quality of steer, etc.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”