Gizmom and the Boss great adventure

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Jake
GURU
GURU

Re: Gizmom and the Boss great adventure

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:24 am

gizmom wrote:Jake

I hate we missed you I would love to see some of the bulls you have added to your bull line up. We are pulling a jeep so we have been setting up in campsites then running around sightseeing in the jeep. You live in some beautiful country.

Here is a couple of videos of the first 5 days of the trip.

https://www.youtube.com/video_copynotice?v=KSMVeKs3ebI

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=9ANU3gIAWls

I don't know if this will work but I am trying to get all computer smart!

I can't seem to get the videos to work. Glad you like the country. Finally got a rain last night, so that should help with as dry as we had gotten.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Videos didn't work for me Gizmon, something about copyright wouldn't let me see them.

Ken
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Videos didn't work for me Gizmon, something about copyright wouldn't let me see them.

Ken

They didn't work for me either. You tube has always worked but it said I have to join and create a channel and everytime I would hit yes another requirement would pop up. When the 5th one popped up I decided it was enough.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Sorry guys I am still in the learning stages with the videos, I promise I am trying to get it right! Today was amazing the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Just amazing!

gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 am

gizmom wrote:Sorry guys I am still in the learning stages with the videos, I promise I am trying to get it right! Today was amazing the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Just amazing!

gizmom

I fully understand. No problem. Not sure if it is my computer or what. Look forward to more upcoming pics and posts. You are in a part of the country that I plan to visit.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:00 pm

I think there are some options to make the video public when you publish it.

Ken
0 x

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Looks like you are having a great trip! I really like the looks of the OCC cattle.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

Willicd
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Willicd » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:12 am

i believe the bradley ranch ran about 100 head through the amarillo sale last week.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:17 am

I know they had their female sale Friday. If I hadn't been on call this weekend I may of bought 1-2. Want to try their genetics. Think they can be utilized in our environment.

What did they sell? Commercial cattle?
0 x

Willicd
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Willicd » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:54 am

yes, commercial. dont hold me to it as im not 100% positive it was bradley cattle but i do remember the auctioneer talking it up and several of the order buyers talking about it. several comments were made like "these are bradley cattle" as if they were of inferior quality to what was expected. they looked pretty decent to me. these were mostly red as best as i can remember but they dont show many red on their website other than some sires so it may have been someone else.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 am

All of their cattle I've seen are black or Char.Have never visited their herd but would like too. Their cattle are very efficient and functional for their area. And from what I've seen are very structurally correct. Also know there is a Bradley ranch in the Dimmitt area and they run a lot of cattle. I just looked at their site and they have removed some of the sires that had been there. They are SW of Leedey a ways but a big difference in type of country.
Look forward to more updates from Gizmom.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 pm

The boss and I visited Coleman Angus on Tuesday then drove to Billings on Wednesday. We spent the day today going to various AI studs we started the day at World West two of my favorite bulls at this stop were Coleman Doc 2261 and Connealy Black Granite 133 both really nice bulls.

I confess one of the reasons I like this bull is he reminds me so much of our Coleman EXT 6149 bull. Deep wide and Soggy and easy to get along with just calm as can be.

My second pick at this stop was Connealy Black Granite 133 very nice bull.

They also had two Coleman bulls

Coleman Charlo 3212 and his full brother Coleman Marshall 6313 both are really nice bulls.

We left World West and went over to Genex of the bulls on site a few that really stood out to me were:
SAV Reign 6845 was my favorite at this stop just as complete as you can make one. I didn't take pictures the bulls were up under the fans in the building and I just couldn't get good photos.
My second pick would be Buford Pathfinder C304 really nice
Others that I marked as really nice in no particular order were:
Mar Innovation 251
SAV Guideline 5203
Coleman Playmaker 427
GAR Scale House
SAV Abundance 6117 I liked him a lot
Schiefelbein Allied 514
Prairie Pride Premium 407
I was watching attitude closely especially on the Charlo's the Reign bull was a quiet as you could want one to be. I really liked the Plattemere Weigh Up K360 sons that I saw, a little bigger frame than I normally use but very nice bulls.

From Genex we moved on to Origen again I gave up on photos, you are not allowed in the pens with the bulls and trying to get decent photos from outside is a lesson in frustration. At this location I will list some of my favorites: Of the young bulls we looked at (the up and coming) my favorite bull was SAV Authentic 6293 he was very complete. The flush brother to Reign was also at Origen and he is very nice but IMO not as good as Reign. We looked at a lot of bulls at this location so I will just list the ones I noted as really nice.
Spring Cove Paygrade 5064
SAV Rainmaster 6849 (flush brother to Reign)
HA Cowboy UP 5405 - to be honest he was better than I expected, short but really deep and thick, but had a bit of attitude.
Buford Blue Stem 9974
3F Epic 4631
VAR Heritage 5038
CCR Boulder 1339A
Basin Payweight 1682 (very good)
Connealy Consensus 7229 (really good)
Sitz Stellar 726D
McD 406 UNO 603
Stevenson Weigh Up 60374
EXAR Stud 4658B
Musgrave Aviator 542

Like I said we looked at a lot of bulls, There were a lot of really nice bulls but they also had a lot of bulls that had feet that I sure didn't want in my herd. We were looking really hard at feet and also at attitude. The ones on the above list had good feet and good attitudes, or they wouldn't be on the list. Everyone has different opinions on bulls we all look at them differently depending what is important to us and our program. But I will tell anyone that will listen that you need to start looking from the feet up because if you don't no matter how much you like a bull or a program without a good foundation they are not going to be profitable.

gizmom
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Gizmom thanks for the post. I agree with you 100% about the feet and legs. I analyzing livestock from the geound up. I feel I prefer a little more frame size than you so I might really luje tge K30 progeny. Will have to look them up.
0 x

tnfarmboy67
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tnfarmboy67 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Gizmom thank you for the bull report.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:45 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oFO0Oyw-7w0

We visited Strommen Ranch today, it was great meeting Aaron. The boss and I were impressed with him and his cattle. We saw Bruin Torque today and he is the best Density son I have ever seen. His cattle are deep easy fleshing females that get the job done on forage. His Paxton Resource calves are just darn good. A great day talking and looking at cattle, this girl is loving life!

Gizmom
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”