Calf leg problem

Cattle problems.
Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Calf leg problem

Postby Dsteim » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:05 pm

I have a newborn calf he's a week old and he doesn't put weight on his front right leg. (if you're looking at him) I noticed this the day he was born but figured he may have been stepped on during birth so I figured I'd let it go for a week. He will put weight on his leg if he's standing still but when he walks or runs he uses his other three legs and kind of holds that front leg limp. Nurses fine doesn't appear to be anything on or around his foot or any abnormalities, I didn't get the closest look today he took off running when I was walking towards him and his mother hid him. What should I do about this?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Calf leg problem

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Not much you can do . either leave it be or euthanize him of you think he's suffering
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Leave him be. One week is not enough time to recover if he did get stepped on or has another injury. I raised one up to 700 lbs on three good legs and one swinging, She tasted just fine.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Yeah he's young they heal up fairly quick, all he has to do is nurse and lay around,, those bones are soft and growing.getting milk and calcium..harder on a cow
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Probably born with contracted tendons. If so as it gets stronger it will be fine.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”