Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

The place to start if you are new!
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Re: Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Postby BK9954 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Around here you can sell 10 month olds for about $500-$600 for heifer bulls. You will even see ads on craigslist sometimes of people looking to buy a jersey bull. I got one I have with some heifers. A lot of people do it. The guy I got mine from sold all 6 of his 10 month olds on craigslist. Going to the auction is a slaughter. I would rather eat him myself. I took a young one early this year, got .38 a pound. For .38 a pound I will eat jersey steaks all day.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 pm

But at 18 months they can get mean and dangerous, this guy is about to take a ride after he is done with these last girls. That old trailer in the background he flipped and pushed about 10 foot upside down, almost into the electric wire. Any jersey I have had have torn everything up they can get to.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:39 am

BK9954 wrote:Around here you can sell 10 month olds for about $500-$600 for heifer bulls. You will even see ads on craigslist sometimes of people looking to buy a jersey bull. I got one I have with some heifers. A lot of people do it. The guy I got mine from sold all 6 of his 10 month olds on craigslist. Going to the auction is a slaughter. I would rather eat him myself. I took a young one early this year, got .38 a pound. For .38 a pound I will eat jersey steaks all day.

Here, many folks begging anyone to buy their Jersey bulls even at lowest prices but many people won't touch the jersey bulls. There are plenty of cheap "beef" bulls available to most people (longhorns, Corrientes and highlands), at least here.
0 x

dave_shelby
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dave_shelby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm

I have been thinking about a Jersey cow for our family as we have some neighbors who never seem to have enough to go around. Price for Jersey cows seems high, then I saw this https://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/grd ... 82495.html. They are heifers so who knows.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:32 pm

dave_shelby wrote:I have been thinking about a Jersey cow for our family as we have some neighbors who never seem to have enough to go around. Price for Jersey cows seems high, then I saw this https://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/grd ... 82495.html. They are heifers so who knows.

Dave I am looking for one as well
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

dave_shelby
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dave_shelby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:08 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
dave_shelby wrote:I have been thinking about a Jersey cow for our family as we have some neighbors who never seem to have enough to go around. Price for Jersey cows seems high, then I saw this https://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/grd ... 82495.html. They are heifers so who knows.

These gals or any old Jersey heifer?
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Muddy wrote:
BK9954 wrote:Around here you can sell 10 month olds for about $500-$600 for heifer bulls. You will even see ads on craigslist sometimes of people looking to buy a jersey bull. I got one I have with some heifers. A lot of people do it. The guy I got mine from sold all 6 of his 10 month olds on craigslist. Going to the auction is a slaughter. I would rather eat him myself. I took a young one early this year, got .38 a pound. For .38 a pound I will eat jersey steaks all day.

Here, many folks begging anyone to buy their Jersey bulls even at lowest prices but many people won't touch the jersey bulls. There are plenty of cheap "beef" bulls available to most people (longhorns, Corrientes and highlands), at least here.

Not sure if its the guys doing roping with the corrientes and longhorns, or the ornamental look of a longhorn in Tx, but they seem to go a little higher then jerseys. You can find em cheaper every once in a while but the roping industry has them marked up a little higher usually.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:07 pm

BK9954 wrote:
Muddy wrote:

Not sure if its the guys doing roping with the corrientes and longhorns, or the ornamental look of a longhorn in Tx, but they seem to go a little higher then jerseys. You can find em cheaper every once in a while but the roping industry has them marked up a little higher usually.

We have very strong rodeo community here, so these roping cattle are common and usually cheaper. Lot of roping bulls brought less than $500 at a sale few weeks ago. I seen lot of Jersey bulls for the sale on Craigslist but nobody touch them when the roping bulls are getting sold pretty quickly.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:33 pm

dave_shelby wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Prefer a heifer to halter break and let the kids raise it up.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Some dairymen down here will raise hte holstein and jerseys after steering them up to about 900 lbs. then sell them at auction....they'll all head straight to the feedlot....the do pretty well with them.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
dave_shelby wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

That's not a bad price for the number of animals being offered. Most Jersey cows that are offered for family cows are in the 900-1200 range that I see. If I was a little further along with my ankle and knee treatments, I would be looking at them very seriously. Sell off the bulls, put the steer in the freezer if he is big enough and then milk the cows and sell a few off as family cows. I might go take a look at them anyway. I have a feeling they were someone's "cow share" deal and maybe just don't want /can't keep doing it.
0 x

Aaron9876
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Aaron9876 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:43 pm

I've also wondered if there is any merit to picking up 1-2 cheap dairy calves, raising them on pasture, and butchering them for burger and maybe a few of the nicer steak cuts. Got more grass than cows...
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:58 pm

Aaron9876 wrote:I've also wondered if there is any merit to picking up 1-2 cheap dairy calves, raising them on pasture, and butchering them for burger and maybe a few of the nicer steak cuts. Got more grass than cows...

Can't hurt
0 x

dave_shelby
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dave_shelby » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:40 pm

farmerjan wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
dave_shelby wrote:These gals or any old Jersey heifer?

That's not a bad price for the number of animals being offered. Most Jersey cows that are offered for family cows are in the 900-1200 range that I see. If I was a little further along with my ankle and knee treatments, I would be looking at them very seriously. Sell off the bulls, put the steer in the freezer if he is big enough and then milk the cows and sell a few off as family cows. I might go take a look at them anyway. I have a feeling they were someone's "cow share" deal and maybe just don't want /can't keep doing it.

I called the fellow and he is down in Martinsville, thats a long ways. He was using them as nurse cows. If you go down let me know I would learn something from you.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Dave, Martinsville is too far for me to go when I really don't need any. I figured that they were in the H'burg direction and I have to be up that way a couple times this coming week. If I change my mind I will definitely let you know.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”