The truth about farming....

The place to start if you are new!
angus9259
GURU
GURU

The truth about farming....

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:27 am

Wish I had known this when I was first starting.....

http://rickpattersonconnects.com/the-tr ... t-farming/
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: The truth about farming....

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:00 am

Good read thank you.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:05 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Good read thank you.

+1
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:19 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Good read thank you.

+1

Add another to that count
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:01 am

Me too.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 am

His philosophy is depressing in my opinion. I do not look at my operation like he does.

I often find myself looking for an excuse to do something else. Cattle restricts what I can do. I would like to make a couple more trips to Africa, not to hunt again. I got that out of my system. I enjoy the culture and nature of life there.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not miss Denver. The problem I have is the opposite of this man's. I like my cows and farm. I wish it was not so restrictive. But I find my cows as a huge source of pleasure. I don't even think about them dying. Every life form is finite. It does not take raising cattle to realize that! Just wait until you are older and you see three fourths of your family and friends gone. All the people who were part of your life. People who educated you, doctored you, who you worked with. Gone! Such is life.
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:53 am

I can relate to a lot of what he says. Usually the high times carry the low, sometimes they don't.
Thanks for the posting.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:15 am

Bright Raven wrote:His philosophy is depressing in my opinion. I do not look at my operation like he does.

I often find myself looking for an excuse to do something else. Cattle restricts what I can do. I would like to make a couple more trips to Africa, not to hunt again. I got that out of my system. I enjoy the culture and nature of life there.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not miss Denver. The problem I have is the opposite of this man's. I like my cows and farm. I wish it was not so restrictive. But I find my cows as a huge source of pleasure. I don't even think about them dying. Every life form is finite. It does not take raising cattle to realize that! Just wait until you are older and you see three fourths of your family and friends gone. All the people who were part of your life. People who educated you, doctored you, who you worked with. Gone! Such is life.

I would expect no less of you to disagree with something you know nothing about.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:50 am

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:His philosophy is depressing in my opinion. I do not look at my operation like he does.

I would expect no less of you to disagree with something you know nothing about.

I appreciate that you read my comment. That is exercising one of the two primary functions of a forum like this.
1. To post information.
2. To read and consider information.

Thanks.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:38 pm

That was a good read, but not really reflective of how I feel.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:36 pm

Not so much how we feel,, but it's 100 percent correct...but it's just one side of it,are everybody would be doing it...I love it,and try not to concentrate or dwell on it.....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Its all about stewardship.
0 x
Stocker Steve

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:50 pm

This struck me; "When people ask me about it I don’t glow with appreciation for how great it is. For me, it’s really rather brutal physically and psychologically. This is especially true when you have to euthanize an animal you couldn’t save or you watch a calf takes it’s last breath when it’s only a couple days old."

I have been at this almost a year now. My numbers are lower than I expected, mostly because the challenge is much bigger than I expected, and I am much older than I realized sitting behind a desk, and dreaming about this life I have now.

I still love it, but sometimes I think I am about to drown.

My hat is off to ya'll that do this well. It is no small feat. You have a right to be proud. :cowboy:
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm

HDRider wrote:This struck me; "When people ask me about it I don’t glow with appreciation for how great it is. For me, it’s really rather brutal physically and psychologically. This is especially true when you have to euthanize an animal you couldn’t save or you watch a calf takes it’s last breath when it’s only a couple days old."

I have been at this almost a year now. My numbers are lower than I expected, mostly because the challenge is much bigger than I expected, and I am much older than I realized sitting behind a desk, and dreaming about this life I have now.

I still love it, but sometimes I think I am about to drown.

My hat is off to ya'll that do this well. It is no small feat. You have a right to be proud. :cowboy:

Ryder, age changes a lot of things for most of us. I would love to do more but am simply not physically able any longer. I still love the lifestyle but have learned not to lose sleep over things nor let it simply ruin even one day for me. As the old boy said "I got many more birthdays ahead of me than behind me" so am just going to enjoy each day to the fullest, do the best I can with what I have and continue to give thanks every morning and every night (not to mention many times in between). Life is still good !!!!!
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:42 pm

I enjoyed the read as well.

I think he is getting a little too personal with it, and if he thinks as the article points out, I can see how it's a problem for him. The only way to not have some die, is to not have them. No other way. Now, that doesn't make losing an animal any easier, but you just have to try the best you can, learn from it, and move on - or get out. Before you can fail, you have to try. Really try, not lip service "I'm trying", but really lay it out there. Example, checking heifers every four hours is not something I enjoy. It's something I think I owe to the heifers, or there is no sense having them. It's my responsibility to the cattle. If I am satisfied that I have put forth the effort and done all I could, I'll still feel bad about it, but I won't consider myself a failure. I think he is getting into a serious depression type area there with the personal negativity. Guys gotta be careful there.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Return to “Beginners Board”