Pasture Lease

The place to start if you are new!
Ogonzalezjr
Beginner
Beginner

Pasture Lease

Postby Ogonzalezjr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:38 am

Is there a website where we can go to look for pasture leases near us ?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Pasture Lease

Postby M-5 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:44 am

where is near us ??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 am

Where I live I don't know if such a web site. Pasture around here is hard to come by
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:00 am

I see it advertised on CL for wanted and available.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:54 am

M-5 wrote:I see it advertised on CL for wanted and available.

Were any of them worth a flip? I saw a few but they looked like the FarmerOnly.com adds....

"Cow pasture for lease. We have 12 total acres. Our house sits on 2ac. The other 10ac is available. It will only be shared with our 4 horses. We consider them friends of the family and know they will love the companionship of the cattle. Please call..." :shock:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:00 am

Brute 23 wrote:

Were any of them worth a flip? I saw a few but they looked like the FarmerOnly.com adds....

"Cow pasture for lease. We have 12 total acres. Our house sits on 2ac. The other 10ac is available. It will only be shared with our 4 horses. We consider them friends of the family and know they will love the companionship of the cattle. Please call..." :shock:

Some actually are good little places But They are just 2 far from where I live to be functional. Some people want to try and lease to strangers because they know the locals wont take care of it.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 pm

M-5 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Some actually are good little places But They are just 2 far from where I live to be functional. Some people want to try and lease to strangers because they know the locals wont take care of it.

Interesting. I have often thought about putting an add out just to see what happens kind of thinking along the same lines.

When I was in middle school I put an add in the paper to mow lawns. There were at least 3 or 4 guys mowing in town already. The next week after the add ran I was covered up. About 1/3 of the people had a bad experience with the "regulars" and wanted new blood. The next third wanted to price check against the "regulars". The last third were from out of town and depend on the news paper or online to find help. I prefer doing business with the last third.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:37 pm

My problem has always been longevity. Fix it up and you lose it.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Get them to agree to a long term lease with penalties for both lessee and lessor for cancellation prior to end of lease and at least one guaranteed renewal for same term as original lease for an agreed amount. Not fool proof but gives you some insurance.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 pm

I had a ad on CraigsList asking for available grazing lease land with a minimum of 50 acres. It was on there about 60 days and renewed often to get it back to the top. I limited to my county and the ones around me. I didn't get one response except from a guy who sent me a email to let me know that if I turned down any offers, direct them his way.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Still need to know where you are located? How many cows are we talking about? I have seen several very big leases Northern Nevada and California, and Eastern Oregon in the Capital Press but those were earlier in the year.
0 x

uplandnut
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby uplandnut » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Not sure where you are at but if your in the Minnesota and southern Wisconsin area there is a website called "land stewardship project" that has both lease and looking to lease pastures and farms. There are a couple other ones that I can't think of at the moment, if you do a google search there should be some results.
Craigslist can work but it can bite you in the be nice too. Found a one that sounded really good till I thought about it and realized I was over paying for the ground that was good and a large majority was mature woods that had little grazing. The pasture I ended up renting this year was listed in a local paper. Paid a little more than I probably should have but he takes care of the fences and has a great guardrail corral for catching them that has been handy. I know everyone says cheap rent is the only way to go but not having to worry about fence repairs is priceless.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Ranchworldads.com
Most are big places in the SW US. Mostly AZ and NM and BLM places.
Lots of places with full care available.
I'd give my right testi .. ear for a good lease place
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:30 am

backhoeboogie wrote:My problem has always been longevity. Fix it up and you lose it.

i have a neighbors 12 ac .. he hasn't touched it in years. It's actually looking pretty good now with my cows on it.

Now he's asking me to mow, spray, etc... I'm like.. I'll mow it once, thats it.

After ripping all the trees down, getting it all nice.. new fence.. boom.. that place will be on the market for top dollar and not even a 'thanks' to me.

nah.. i'll just let it grow up and buy it for market price like it is.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:25 am

ddd75 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:My problem has always been longevity. Fix it up and you lose it.

i have a neighbors 12 ac .. he hasn't touched it in years. It's actually looking pretty good now with my cows on it.

Now he's asking me to mow, spray, etc... I'm like.. I'll mow it once, thats it.

After ripping all the trees down, getting it all nice.. new fence.. boom.. that place will be on the market for top dollar and not even a 'thanks' to me.

nah.. i'll just let it grow up and buy it for market price like it is.

Unless someone else is willing to pay more.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Return to “Beginners Board”