Solar Power Fence Chargers, any good ones?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Solar Power Fence Chargers, any good ones?

Postby dun » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Jake wrote:I think I'm going to end up splitting the fence with two chargers, one on the perimeter and one on the subdivision fences. There is about 3 miles of three to five wire fence on it. The corn on the opposite side of the fence makes me want some extra juice.

Our cross fences are powered off of the perimeter fence and the polywire is enough to keep the bulls from visiting hot heifers/cows on the other side of the fence
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

S&S Farms
Rancher
Rancher

Postby S&S Farms » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:00 pm

We use solar speedrites, the 1000 model to keep our bulls in with a single strand all winter. One fencer was doing three pens covering 75 acres. use a marine deep cycle battery and it is always charged. You can get a bigger fencer and put a bigger solar panel on it and it could do all of that area for you. Got mine through Zeitlow in Mac. I have 2 year olds and yearlings across from each other and had no problems. I do have a 15 foot lane between them.

Jeff
0 x
Focused on the Customers Ultimate Satisfaction

theranger
Beginner
Beginner

Postby theranger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:24 am

Check out https://renewitsource.com/best-solar-po ... r-reviews/, they have some reviews of decent solar fence chargers to check out.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:27 am

I've used about everything over the years. From transformers off old neon lights up to the current ones on 110 chargers. There are several good choices in 12v solar chargers. In my experience I've had the best results with Gallaghers. They have a long life and are very dependable. The battery and solar panel are critical in solar chargers.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:47 am

Joules... know your joules.

The more the merrier (as long as you're not the one touching it)!
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

UG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby UG » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:32 am

We have had a couple Gallagher S50 solar chargers. Had issues with both and had to send them to the Gallagher repair shop; fortunately one was under warranty, but the other cost approximately $60 to repair, since we had had it for more than a year (probably closer to two years). Also have had to replace batteries more than I would like. One has failed again and will cost over $100 to repair, so it is on the shelf for parts. The other has been acting up recently and I am guessing it is time to trash that one too.

A Gallagher dealer has told me that their customers have had issues with this model as well.
0 x

u4411clb
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby u4411clb » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Best I have found http://www.taylorfence.net/index.php I bought one setup and then made my own solar setup on the next one for allot cheaper thanks to one of the guys on this site. I run outside perimeter and cross fencing on solar and have never had any issues on 2 seperate places.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”