Sure are pretty

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3023
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Sure are pretty

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 am

https://waco.craigslist.org/grd/d/brang ... 09402.html

They ain't mine. They sure are pretty. :tiphat: to whoever raised them.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

User avatar
Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Granville County NC

Re: Sure are pretty

Postby Dogs and Cows » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 am

NICE...Waco...I am curious...I am currently running an Angus bull over my Hereford ladies. I also have a couple black baldies in the herd. The black cows and bull are really suffering in the heat...much more so than the Herefords. It is like night and day how they are handling the weather. I was thinking about switching over to a Brangus bull my next go around...so my question...are the black Brangus cows/bulls much more heat tolerant than straight Angus??? Thanks!!

Tim
0 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:45 pm
Location: west central mn

Re: Sure are pretty

Postby skeeter swatter » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:NICE...Waco...I am curious...I am currently running an Angus bull over my Hereford ladies. I also have a couple black baldies in the herd. The black cows and bull are really suffering in the heat...much more so than the Herefords. It is like night and day how they are handling the weather. I was thinking about switching over to a Brangus bull my next go around...so my question...are the black Brangus cows/bulls much more heat tolerant than straight Angus??? Thanks!!

Tim

Quite a bit yes. Also those Brangus-baldies make a heck of a mama cow.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Location: Northeast KS (USA)
Contact:

Re: Sure are pretty

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:41 pm

skeeter swatter wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:NICE...Waco...I am curious...I am currently running an Angus bull over my Hereford ladies. I also have a couple black baldies in the herd. The black cows and bull are really suffering in the heat...much more so than the Herefords. It is like night and day how they are handling the weather. I was thinking about switching over to a Brangus bull my next go around...so my question...are the black Brangus cows/bulls much more heat tolerant than straight Angus??? Thanks!!

Tim

Quite a bit yes. Also those Brangus-baldies make a heck of a mama cow.


+1

There are many breeds (all of which are not black) that are more heat tolerant than a BLACK angus.

The best solid black animal for heat tolerance I've ever seen is a Mashona.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

User avatar
Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Granville County NC

Re: Sure are pretty

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:00 am

Yea, I'm aware of Mashona, but I am looking for something that is a little bigger to help calves mash the scales at the local sale barn. And I need black as that is the only thing that sells well in my area. Thanks!
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2735
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Sure are pretty

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:03 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:Yea, I'm aware of Mashona, but I am looking for something that is a little bigger to help calves mash the scales at the local sale barn. And I need black as that is the only thing that sells well in my area. Thanks!


Tim, my black Simmentals do fine here but I have some deep hollers with heavy shade.
0 x

User avatar
Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Granville County NC

Re: Sure are pretty

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:07 am

LOL...Yea Ron...your place sure looks nice to me!!! And I truly mean that!!!! Here for the last month we have been in mid 90s and higher with dew points in the mid 70s. Its been a steam bath for sure...and being in the NC piedmont...no hills or hollers for miles! I'm not complaining though, after seeing the post by Old Timer. Many have it very bad. I am just trying to plan ahead and improve my herd for my area over time! I hope you are well!!

Tim
0 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests