Thinking long term

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

uplandnut
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Thinking long term

Postby uplandnut » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Sounds exciting!
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks everyone. Yes, it is exciting --- many (!!) details still to work out (including the possibility of a trip to France this fall ... which would just so happen to coincide with my 20th anniversary ... SHHHHHH do NOT tell my wife).
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:38 am

Buy her a fix ur upper chateau !
0 x
Stocker Steve

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cbcr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:33 am

WalnutCrest wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:I did not totally understand. You are trading semen with a respected French breeder?

Semen to France.
Embryos and semen to the US.

Import restrictions and the nuances of the French herd book are not inconsequential. There is a decent (or better) chance this won't happen ... but that they sought me out and want it to happen is a big deal to me.

There is no reason that it can't happen. With our dairy breed Montbeliarde, Coopex / Umotest in France have purchased one bull here in the US and are in the process of purchasing a second bull. The bulls will remain in the US and semen has been exported to France, Russia, South America and Turkey so far. The bulls are also in the Montbeliarde herd book in France with their US information.

Some of the very top bulls of any breed from overseas are not available for use in the US because of Schmallenberger disease. As some protection against this problem, some of the foreign bull studs are bringing embryos to the US to develop a breeding program in the US. Viking Genetics is one of the first to do this.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”