Montana Burning Up

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Oldtimer
GURU
GURU

Montana Burning Up

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:50 pm

It was just brought to my attention by another cattletoday poster that I haven't been on here for awhile. I've been a little busy trying to survive- we in northeast Montana (after several great years) are in the worst drought in over a century. No moisture to speak of since March- grass is burned and water holes dried up.. Last week we turned the cows into the wheat and hay fields and fall pasture.. Daily job of checking water.

Here I am moving a couple pairs out of a pasture with no water- the grass just crunches under your feet its so dry:

But we could be worse- 100 miles south of us- on the south side of the Missouri fires are burning everything up.. One fire has now burned close to 300,000 acres and burned out 16 residences.. Miles and miles of fence and hundreds of cattle are lost- along with horse herds and now those ranchers are left with no grass.
Since I lost photobucket- I'm having a terrible time getting pictures to load. But if I can I'll load some..
If not go to my Facebook site Dick Britzman- as it has some photos that show the enormity of this situation..
0 x
Lazy Bar B Angus on Facebook

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Montana Burning Up

Postby Ol' 243 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Man, that's awful. I feel for ya, we had our worst drought since 1917 here last year. Horrible situation, I hope you get some rain.
0 x

Oldtimer
GURU
GURU

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:03 pm

These pictures show the enormity of these fires.. This one fire is bigger then the size of New York City..

0 x

Oldtimer
GURU
GURU

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:06 pm

0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Ugghhh!!! A friend of mine (like a daughter, really), is with a crew from Maine, out your way fighting fires. I fell for you and everyone else affected by the drought. We had drought here, a few years back, and I sold off half the herd etc. I have never complained about rain or mud since.

Those fires are terrible! I pray for all those affected.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Terrible!!!

I just Google searched the Montana fires. I was totally unaware what a disaster is occurring up there. I know how vulnerable Montana is to fire. I lived in Helena from 1987 until 2005. One of the greatest places on earth. This really is disappointing for me.

Looks like the eastern part of the state is getting hit the hardest. This is not good. It only gets drier from here. I hope you farewell.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:53 pm

OT

We will be praying you get some rain and that the fire fighters get control of these fires. Also praying for those fighting the fires.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

uplandnut
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby uplandnut » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:04 pm

That is terrible, I wish you and all affected the best. I would assume Montana's hay supply is a little on the short side then too?
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

We had a crew there for 2 weeks and they came home Saturday. Said they were on 1 fire for 4-5 days then never got on another fire. They chopped wood for the Ranger Station and fished till their time ran out. Very bad management of the crews when they were obviously needed elsewhere. I think they were on BLM land.
Another crew was in southern Utah with the same reports. Said nothing to do where they were.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Oldtimer
GURU
GURU

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 pm

Yeah I think they have fire crews in here from 37 states this morning.. The mainsteam media seems to be blind to these eastern Montana fires- as I've seen very little on national news..
Hay is at a premium- probably going to be around $200 T.. Some being trucked in from Minnesota. Several of my neighbors are selling cows- one is selling 200 head of pairs (about half his herd) to someone in Nebraska- and another is selling 150 head (about 1/3 his herd) to a ranch in Wyoming..
We are in better shape then most- as we have quite a bit of irrigated hay and so will only have to buy enough to make up for what we didn't get off dryland-- and we had a lot of old grass left from last year.. But probably will wean a month or so early- and sell off about 25 to 33% of the herd- as we know that the BLM and State will be cutting AUM's by at least that much next year on the public leases.. Probably won't keep as many bull calves or heifers to winter and sell as replacements.. Sell the bulls as calves after they are weaned..
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:40 pm

I feel for y'all.
Starting in the fall of 2010 till late 2012 we didn't get but about 6" and very little at a time. We had more than a 100 days in 2011 with a 100 degrees and most days it was a 110 or more.
It's a scary hopeless feeling, but it'll rain again.
Just have to wait, survive and pray.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Wow.

Not a lot more to say than that.

I'll be praying for you all.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:09 pm

I'll be praying for you all.[/quote] here to....hope it turns around for you before fall
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Cross-7 wrote:I feel for y'all.
Starting in the fall of 2010 till late 2012 we didn't get but about 6" and very little at a time. We had more than a 100 days in 2011 with a 100 degrees and most days it was a 110 or more.
It's a scary hopeless feeling, but it'll rain again.
Just have to wait, survive and pray.

That sounds like 2015 was here.. zero rain in the growing season, 100+ from May through september.. No matter how much you watered, grass didn't grow, it just sat there... 95 here today
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Yeah I think they have fire crews in here from 37 states this morning.. The mainsteam media seems to be blind to these eastern Montana fires- as I've seen very little on national news..

I keep up with the news pretty regularly...I thought.

This thread, is the first I've heard of these fires.
I hate to see it happen anywhere, but I remember the great pics of those same areas in the past.
Heartbreaking.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Breeds Board”