What to have on hand in your medicine cabinet?

Cattle problems.
NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

What to have on hand in your medicine cabinet?

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 am

I'm two years into my small herd of belties and so far, other than a young bull getting a little too excited about switching pastures and coming up lame for a couple weeks, I haven't had any health issues. I see in these threads about giving cattle this and that for various ailments and I'm wondering what I should have on hand to treat the unexpected?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What to have on hand in your medicine cabinet?

Postby dun » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 am

Your vets phone number. If you have antibiotics or stuff on hand with any luck it will expire before you ever need it.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 am

Mostly antibiotics. La200, Lutalyse, and Banamine are the main meds I always try to keep on hand.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 pm

LA300, Penicillin, Resflor Gold, Sustain III Cattle & Calf boluses, Banamine, aspirin/aspirin powder, colostrum replacer, electrolytes, Betadine, thermometer, First Defense, Nursemate ASAP, mineral oil, Kopertox, Lutalyse, Vitamin B Complex, OB lube/sleeves, Vetericyn, Blue Kote, supply of disposable needles/syringes, Today & Tomorrow . . . . just to name a few :)
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:47 pm

OB Lube, gloves, one bottle of CMPK, one bottle of Dextrose Solution, an IV set, Lutalyse, cystorelin and a piece of a bottle of Micotil that's probably 15 years old.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:29 pm

I will add Draxxin, pine tar, a milk fever test kit, bag balm, nitrofurazone, icthamol. I'm sure I'll think of more...

Edit to add sterile cotton, gauze rolls, vet wrap, gorilla tape (duct tape, but way stickier), calf coats and ear muffs (don't laugh, it gets d**n cold up here!), forceps, suture needles and suture, one use scalpels....

Also, gauze soaked in a pail of sugar and iodine is handy to keep around....works as a cheap and effective drawing agent (icthamol, but cheaper and can make quick).
Last edited by Boot Jack Bulls on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:48 pm

In addition to what has already been listed, a tube feeder (calf), about a 4' to 5' length of garden hose (tube for a cow), an old glass coke bottle, large bottle Pepto Bismal or generic Pink Bismuth, Spectam Scour Halt (its a swine product but good for treating scours in calves), a set of hoof nippers, a hoof knife, a set of OB chains. Just to name a few.

Most likely you won't need these, but if you fool with cattle long enough, at some point some of these (what everyone has listed) items will come in handy!
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 am

Looks like a pretty comprehensive list - thanks! I'm fortunate that my vet is also one of my tax clients and lives just a mile down the road. Plus she has her own herd of around 300 simmentals so she is an excellent source of help/information.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:39 am

I have a large ammo box with everything it stays in the Kubota
tail chalk , ob chains and handles, nippers, hoof knife, regular Knife , scalpel, hemostats , needles and syringes, gloves and lube , taggin pliers and tags, bander, rags, Iodine, pine tar, b-12 , banimine, dex, ivomec, paste wormer, jump start, noramectin that's all I can think of at the moment
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Return to “Health & Nutrition”