cow going down, heat stroke?

Cattle problems.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

cow going down, heat stroke?

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:43 am

Seems like I have a cow going down, possibly heat stroke? She's always looked like a miserable cow, 2 years old and just totally fell apart after breeding.. swayback, poor doer.
She has a slight injury on her hind foot somehow, but I really think it's nothing serious.. On the other hand, she's laying down, not eating, not chewing cud, it's sweltering hot here in the day, she was dehydrated tonight (skin pinch test), just got back from tubing her a bunch of water.. she's not the most cooperative cow (not one of the tame ones), but she's slow enough I was able to stick the garden hose in her mouth and she'd drink a bit.. slowly, but I kept insisting for a half hour or so and I think she got 3-5 gallons. When pressing on the side of her stomach, her rumen feels doughy. Tried to give her some treats with salt, she nibbled at it a little. Wasn't able to get an electrolyte mix into her.. no way I'd be able to administer a mixed solution.
The field they're on is an overmature alfalfa/grass that I mowed before putting them into it.. still a couple days worth of food there, everyone else is just fine... Her calf isn't getting any milk of course and is a little upset about this.
Thinking of putting her on a lush pasture perhaps to stimulate her? Anything else I ought to be doing?

I am going to ship her in the fall anyhow, but it would be nice to not need to dig another hole dammit!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: cow going down, heat stroke?

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:47 am

For the people who've been here a while, she's got the same symptoms that "Maddy" had 5 years ago, also in the middle of a hot spell.. One thing I'm certain of is the water has always been flowing, fresh and cool, and I didn't notice any "water hogs".. boss cows that hog the water trough and prevent others from drinking, which was my though of what happened with Maddy
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 am

Has it happened just after calving Nesi? Have you considered displaced abomasum, might be worth rolling her.

Ken
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 am

Not being a smart a$$ I really don't understand this heat stroke in a cow never seen it. It gets sweltering here as long as there is some shade and water in the pasture your good to go.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:26 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Not being a smart a$$ I really don't understand this heat stroke in a cow never seen it. It gets sweltering here as long as there is some shade and water in the pasture your good to go.

Me either the devil came to the gulf coast one time and said it was too hot for him.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 am

I remember Maddy. I think heat is as tough on a critter as the cold. Mine are black but with the hollers and shade here. They never have a problem.

0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 am

I wonder if it's more of property of age coupled with the heat
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:44 am

Probably not had the time to acclimate to the excessive heat, those extremes are hard on cattle...and Those poor doers need ideal weather..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:Probably not had the time to acclimate to the excessive heat, those extremes are hard on cattle...and Those poor doers need ideal weather..

:nod: :nod:

I found, a while back, that they need ideal everything!
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 am

Did she seem a little winded, or does she stick her tongue out, when moving around a lot during warm weather?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 am

They don't have shade in the field they're in.
Displaced abomasum.. how do you know which direction to roll them?.. No, it's not right after calving (calf is 4 months)

Normal breathing, no sticking the tongue out, no noticable abscess or swelling in the jaw, no grinding teeth
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 am

Nesikep wrote:They don't have shade in the field they're in.
Displaced abomasum.. how do you know which direction to roll them?.. No, it's not right after calving (calf is 4 months)

Normal breathing, no sticking the tongue out, no noticable abscess or swelling in the jaw, no grinding teeth

That's inhumane treatment of animals, I think you need to sit out in the field all day long with your cows. The feed lots are having heat problems again this year in the Midwest also, because of the lack of SHADE.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:08 pm

I just found a tick on her... Lyme disease a possibility?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Pic from this morning
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:10 pm

On messenger, you said the sweltering heat was awful yesterday. You mentioned that it got up to 98 yesterday. Regardless of what caused this, Nesikep, you need to provide them access to shade. Remember the photos Fire Sweep posted last summer? Someone in Kansas lost over 20 head to heat. If animals are dying or getting ill due to heat, it is inhumane not to adjust to their needs; not to mention EXPENSIVE.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”