Cow Genetics

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

WarEagle73
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Cow Genetics

Postby WarEagle73 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Just updating an old thread. We had 11 AI calves from Rito 6EM3 of 4L1 Emblazon (5), Connealy Consensus 7229 (2), and KCF BENNETT 9126J R294 (4), as well as 8 calves out our clean up bull AU Prototype 442 (an OCC Prototype son). I'll post some pictures of each group. Overall the 6EM3s were the most impressive group with the R294s and Prototypes right behind. I am probably going to stop using 7229, as those calves just haven't kept up and two heifers we raised last year out of him both came up open after one shot AI and 5 months with the clean up bull.

Of the sire groups, we have 2 heifers of each AI and 3 or 4 out of Prototype. Those will get one chance AI and the AI-sired heifers will get a short breeding season with the clean up bull. All of the steers and the heifers that come up open will go to the feedyard and I will have carcass data to report back on those calves in roughly 12 months.

Rito 6EM3 of 4L1 Emblazon
6EM3Nicest (and heaviest) heifer this year is a 6EM3 out of a 3 year old cow. To me she is as close to perfect as we have ever made. I'm really excited to see how she develops. She was also the 2nd heaviest calf in the herd behind the steer below on the left.

Nicest(and heaviest) heifer this year is a 6EM3 out of a 3 year old cow. To me she is as close to perfect as we have ever made. I'm really excited to see how she develops. She was also the 2nd heaviest calf in the herd behind the steer above on the left.

I think we are going to use MUCH more 6EM3 next year. Everything I hear from the Angus breeders I know is that the females are some of the best on the farm. Moderate and easy fleshing, but always weaning one of the heaviest calves.

Connealy Consensus 7229
ImageImage
Our two 7229 heifers. Good calves, but I like the 6EM3s better. No need for 2 Angus bulls in our small herd.
Last edited by WarEagle73 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

WarEagle73
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WarEagle73 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:57 pm

KCF Bennett 9126J R294
ImageImageImageImage
I really like this group of calves. They are a little more leggy than I was expecting, though. We will see how the two heifers do.

AU Prototype 442
These are three of the best steers. They weighed right up with anything we have ever weaned before, even though those OCC genetics aren't known for crazy growth. Good call by ALACOWMAN :nod: I really want to see how these guys perform on in the yard and on the rail.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Really like the 442 steers. I have had the chance to purchase a few 6EM3 sons and for some reason they never tripped my trigger. But after seeing your heifer and looking at the bull in pics I will look at them closer next time. Have only seen one heifer out of him but several sons.
Last edited by elkwc on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:10 pm

I really like the 6EM3 heifer, and the OCC calves.the Bennett calves look ok not as deep as the others but they sure are long. Keep up posted on how they work in the feedyard and on the rail. We were at OCC a little over a week ago and he has a young bull Zodiak that is sure good. I will be getting more info on him, I don't have EPD's or registration number as yet, but phenotypically he is as good as I have seen anywhere. We will be at Larry Colemans this week he has a few Bulls I really want to look at as well. What Angus Bulls will you be using this year?

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:01 am

WarEagle73 wrote:Just updating an old thread. We had 11 AI calves from Rito 6EM3 of 4L1 Emblazon (5), Connealy Consensus 7229 (2), and KCF BENNETT 9126J R294 (4), as well as 8 calves out our clean up bull AU Prototype 442 (an OCC Prototype son). I'll post some pictures of each group. Overall the 6EM3s were the most impressive group with the R294s and Prototypes right behind. I am probably going to stop using 7229, as those calves just haven't kept up and two heifers we raised last year out of him both came up open after one shot AI and 5 months with the clean up bull.

Of the sire groups, we have 2 heifers of each AI and 3 or 4 out of Prototype. Those will get one chance AI and the AI-sired heifers will get a short breeding season with the clean up bull. All of the steers and the heifers that come up open will go to the feedyard and I will have carcass data to report back on those calves in roughly 12 months.

Rito 6EM3 of 4L1 Emblazon
6EM3Nicest (and heaviest) heifer this year is a 6EM3 out of a 3 year old cow. To me she is as close to perfect as we have ever made. I'm really excited to see how she develops. She was also the 2nd heaviest calf in the herd behind the steer below on the left.

Nicest(and heaviest) heifer this year is a 6EM3 out of a 3 year old cow. To me she is as close to perfect as we have ever made. I'm really excited to see how she develops. She was also the 2nd heaviest calf in the herd behind the steer above on the left.

I think we are going to use MUCH more 6EM3 next year. Everything I hear from the Angus breeders I know is that the females are some of the best on the farm. Moderate and easy fleshing, but always weaning one of the heaviest calves.

Connealy Consensus 7229
ImageImage
Our two 7229 heifers. Good calves, but I like the 6EM3s better. No need for 2 Angus bulls in our small herd.

I had a bull that was a Prototype son before my current bull. He threw very small calves that grew fairly decent. One problem that I see is that your Prototype bull is M1c (double muscling defect genetic carrier). I like the OCC Paxton sired bull that have now. He would be Coleman Charlo's half brother. His calves are about as small as the calves from the Prototype bull, but they have better growth. I am glad to see that I have fellow Southerners like Gizmom, War Eagle73, and Alacowman using Ohlde genetics.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

WarEagle73
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WarEagle73 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:26 pm

gizmom wrote:I really like the 6EM3 heifer, and the OCC calves.the Bennett calves look ok not as deep as the others but they sure are long. Keep up posted on how they work in the feedyard and on the rail. We were at OCC a little over a week ago and he has a young bull Zodiak that is sure good. I will be getting more info on him, I don't have EPD's or registration number as yet, but phenotypically he is as good as I have seen anywhere. We will be at Larry Colemans this week he has a few Bulls I really want to look at as well. What Angus Bulls will you be using this year?

Gizmom

I went out to OCC as part of our farmers' federation beef tour last year. They had the Zodiac bull up in the barn for us to check out. I snapped a couple pictures of him. I thought he was pretty impressive myself! The only thing that keeps me from jumping on the OCC wagon a little more is their carcass numbers. I want to see some calves hang on the rail before I get more OCC genetics in the herd. I do plan on trying some Charlo this year though.
0 x

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jdg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Hey war eagle...I've been focused primarily on grass based maternal genetics for the past while. Fertility, efficiency, and longevity (which includes convenience traits), in that order. I direct market grass finished beef and sell seedstock and replacement heifers, both commercial and registered. To answer your original question, I have first hand experience with a few red angus programs. Jim Hudson, (Hudson Red Angus) my neighbor just down the road, has been breeding for low input, grass based red angus cattle for quite some time. Honing work that Roy Beeby, Beckton, Buffalo Creek and other breeders have done, selecting for the ones that will work in the hot south on our low energy grasses. He's quite a wealth of knowledge. Really small program, but a sharp breeder well outside the mainstream. I've bought seedstock from both Red Hill and Rick Calvo to start my Red Angus program. Both programs make their cattle work on grass, and develop bulls on high roughage rations. Very good cattle at both farms, but the red hill cattle match our environment better, so you have to be more selective at Rick's. REd Hill is selecting for fescue tolerance, if you have that...i'm below that line in the bahia belt. The thing to remember about AI'ing for maternal is, that you really need as much info on the lineage as possible before making a decision. Some of the most profitable cows you won't recognize until a few calving seasons in, and not certain until their teenagers. Yearling phenotype for maternal can be deceptive, early maturation is good, but not necessarily the biggest one in the bunch. (Sorry if i'm preaching to the choir) My environment down here doesn't always support the same cow as one that might get bred on time in the hard grasses of the west, especially out of herds that get everything they ever need. Feel free to PM me anytime. I also have a small herd of herefords that i'm enamored with...and a larger herd of registered Wye/Pinebank black cows, with a touch of Ohlde.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”