cow going down, heat stroke?

Cattle problems.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: cow going down, heat stroke?

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 pm

I get that.. however, what do you do when most of your fields have no shade?.. certainly not enough to graze them on for a summer. I don't have a problem being out there all afternoon with them either

99% of them have no trouble with the heat, it's currently about 90ish and they're out grazing.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:32 pm

So how about lyme disease?
http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdisease ... --,00.html
This shows lameness and stiffness in joints.. I did mention that earlier
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:36 pm

some shade cloth and simple sled frame would suffice
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 pm

I have no help but I bought some northern bred cows and they are suffering, even the calves.
I had one the other day with his mouth open trying to breath.
I put them in the pasture with the pond so they can stay cool
They say in the water all the time but the other cows are doing fine, no sign of stress. Graze a little and sit in the shade chewing cud.

I wonder if it more to do with them not being accustomed to the heat.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Spoke to the vet.. they said remove tick and disinfect the area.. wait 24 hours and keep them hydrated
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Can't see heat being the problem. Lots of cattle in prairie ranch country with no shade and they don't all drop dead. Not my cup of tea, I always want animals to have shade in heat of summer - just an observation.

Is she running a fever? Sick cattle in hot weather go down twice as fast as in winter.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 pm

I haven't been able to take her temp.. Gave her more water today and hosed her down.. doesn't look better or worse than yesterday, I'll take another look in a couple hours..

I'm more and more certain that tick is the cause of it (and guess where they pick those up? In the shade!). The symptoms sure line up well.
It's been a bad year for ticks, but since most of my cows are sucks for attention they'll get picked off quickly. On the property they aren't tooo bad, but the feral horses around here are so infested with them that I'm sure the deer are too and they bring them in.

Here's some pics from around noon today.. they certainly don't look stressed out.

0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:05 pm

M-5 wrote:some shade cloth and simple sled frame would suffice

One that fits 50 animals under? Not something you're going to get through any 12' gates without a lot of cussing.

I keep hearing this thing people around here say that "The cows work for them" and not the other way around.
All this one has to do is stay alive another 8 weeks and she's shipping out.. Hopefully with the tick removed she'll get better.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:17 pm

I am using a vitaferm heat tub.
We've had some people lose cattle to anaplasmosis.
The heat tub was designed for fescue, but the peppers and garlic seem to repel flys and ticks.
I've just had it a few day and spraying for flys too, so Idk if it working or not but other people in the area claim they don't have as many ticks and flies as before.
But it's turned off extremely hot and dried out too, so the tub might not be the reason,

I keep a pump up sprayer and spray them when when I see flies bothering them. I try to spray the ear ticks too bit they don't like it on their head,
To get the ears good I have to pen them up and use a 12v but I soak them down when I do.
0 x

Waterway65
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Waterway65 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 pm

How does her manure look and smell? How does her urine appear? How does her breath smell? I bet the heat is just stressing another problem. I will follow this to see what you find out.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Nesi, have you verified what type of tick it is? Not all ticks/tick diseases are created equal. Anaplasmosis is more likely but curious to see what your vet says.
Shade is a must for this girl if her only other alternative is for you to hose her down. Can you keep her contained somewhere? I've parked my Polaris next to a down cow and shoved golf umbrellas in the utility holes for a simple fix.
Have you considered hardware? The way she's standing and losing condition raises a red flag for me.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Here is a pic if the tick
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Waterway65 wrote:How does her manure look and smell? How does her urine appear? How does her breath smell? I bet the heat is just stressing another problem. I will follow this to see what you find out.

No smell to her breath, didn't see her do a #2, but she did urinate a fair volume... didn't want cubes this evening, but did like grass, so I gave her a bunch until the other cows got wind of it.. I'll let her out of that paddock for a while in the lush stuff.. gave her water about 3-4 times today, thankfully her favorite spot to lay down is within reach of the hose.
0 x

ufo_chris
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ufo_chris » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:10 am

No shade ???? :cry2: I'm only in Ohio and my cows stay in the shade all day long even in the 70'
I would feel really crappy if they didn't have any shade and they would feel a lot worse and I would say it's definitely the heat ,poor cow!
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:07 am

I think you are dealing with something more chronic Nesi. If the tick had anything to do with it, it would be something that the tick transmitted. Some of those organisms are susceptible to Tetracyclines, some not. Anaplasma marginale that we have here is susceptible but the 2 forms of Babesia are not. Borrelia that cause Lyme disease in humans is susceptible to Doxycycline.

Ken
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”