Iodine

Cattle problems.
Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Iodine

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:43 pm

I had a cow with a limp and another with a lump on her face under her eye about were her top teeth are.
From past experience feeding cotton burrs I've always used iodized salt.
My local feed store doesn't keep it but he has a trace mineral block that has 70ppm iodine vs 100ppm on iodized salt.
They never touched the trace mineral block.
I also have cattleman blend loose mineral that has 120 ppm iodine, but they didn't touch it.
I went and bought iodized salt and they have been hammering it.
I bought a molasses tub and sprinkle the tub everyday with a heavy layer of the mineral forcing them to eat it before getting to the sweet stuff.
The lump on the jaw is gone.
The cow with a limp I put in the chute and cleaned it up but nothing between her toes and doctored with oxcytetracycaline SQ, she showed no improvement but I've noticed her at the tub/mineral several times and she's improving.

I'm pretty much convinced it's the iodine making the difference
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Iodine

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:55 pm

0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Mix with feed per instructions

http://www.okvetsupply.com/organic-iodi ... gIUufD_BwE

Didn't know about that
Thanks
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:06 pm

My husband always recommended adding iodine to mineral mix for pink-eye and foot rot.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:My husband always recommended adding iodine to mineral mix for pink-eye and foot rot.

He was right
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:17 pm

I've used it in the past regularly...till our farm supply stores quit stocking it....because of the meth cookers...sad,you suffer...because of idiots... Guess I'll order some,figured I'd have to get it black market like antibiotics...without having to jump through hoops....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:30 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I've used it in the past regularly...till our farm supply stores quit stocking it....because of the meth cookers...sad,you suffer...because of idiots... Guess I'll order some,figured I'd have to get it black market like antibiotics...without having to jump through hoops....

For a long time our feed store would not even keep the liquid 7% iodine on the shelf. The meth cookers would buy it all as quickly as they stocked it. Keeps it under the counter now. If you have a feed company in the neighborhood see if they will sell you EDDI. It's a powdered iodine but will be in a stronger concentration from about 9% up to almost 80%. Really not that expensive either.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks,, I'll check that out....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Valley Vet carries it and theirs is 40 grain. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... b0d0204ae5
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 pm

Redmond has a Natural Salt that is 10ppm in Iodine. When I was younger we bought ionized salt in 25lb bags but seems nobody gets it here that way now.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:43 pm

Bad stuff happens when iodine is lacking. Wish I had the picture to share of neighbor's calf born this spring with enormous goiter. Bigger than calf's head and so heavy it couldn't lift head off ground. Vet took blood work and diagnosed cow with severe iodine deficiency, which affected the calf in utero.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:34 pm

I'd always kept the EDDI salt out because I'd been told it helped prevent foot rot. I got to thinking that I didn't need it because I never had trouble with foot rot, so I started putting out plain white salt. Guess what? Three cows came down with foot rot. I'm back to the EDDI salt.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Rafter S wrote:I'd always kept the EDDI salt out because I'd been told it helped prevent foot rot. I got to thinking that I didn't need it because I never had trouble with foot rot, so I started putting out plain white salt. Guess what? Three cows came down with foot rot. I'm back to the EDDI salt.

:lol: Sounds like something I'd do Rafter.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:45 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Rafter S wrote:I'd always kept the EDDI salt out because I'd been told it helped prevent foot rot. I got to thinking that I didn't need it because I never had trouble with foot rot, so I started putting out plain white salt. Guess what? Three cows came down with foot rot. I'm back to the EDDI salt.

:lol: Sounds like something I'd do Rafter.

There's one thing I can say for that kind of lesson. You tend to remember them so you don't need a second application.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Health & Nutrition”