Angus in Texas

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Angus in Texas

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 am

When you boys get ready for your brangus bulls give me a shout, I make a couple trips to Texas a year to see the in-laws. All are sired by Mound Creek bulls.

TT just so you know our culls sell for premium at the local sales.
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:57 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:TT As hard as it is for you to grasp the least wanted breed in this state is Angus

Brute you may be the wisest young man on this board for your environment.
I screwed up a couple of times and strayed from the girls I started the dance with.

You know I grew up in Dallas and attended college there as well, I love and miss Texas. That being said, there is a whole bunch of the country outside the state boundary lines and Angus do very well in lots of places.

TT. Your operation is not in Texas. From Warsaw all the way to the Tennessee and Virginia border, black cattle do fine. The physiography of Kentucky is characterized by numerous tree lined drainages and hollers. Including good diverse pasture. Cows don't graze 100% of the time. The mornings and evenings are cool and long. If they need a noon day snack, they are not going to suffer. Drive our state. Black cattle do excellent here. They are the color our markets covet. This is not Texas or Mississippi. Your horse (cow) is not in the "heat stress" race. I don't know about Tim and the east coast states but I do know Kentucky.
Last edited by Bright Raven on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:58 am

The cheapest heifers you can buy at Dominique in Baton Rouge are Charbray. You're lucky to get $0.75/lb for a Charbray steer. Even an F1 Braford will bring $0.80/lb.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:41 am

JWBrahman wrote:The cheapest heifers you can buy at Dominique in Baton Rouge are Charbray. You're lucky to get $0.75/lb for a Charbray steer. Even an F1 Braford will bring $0.80/lb.

Not here they like that Char cross calves.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:46 am

Just my opinion, I believe that most mainstream breeds will fair pretty decently in most if not all of the continental US. I do see that Brahman and Brahman influenced cattle would have a distinct advantage in the areas with longer, hotter, and more humid summers. Over the years we had had a few cattle that seem to struggle when it is hot. Some have stood around with their tongues hanging out panting like dogs, and some just seem to have labored breathing. Have noticed this in individual animals of different breeds, Charolais, Hereford, and Angus. I think that fescue probably plays a role in that as well. Have a cow now that breathes hard and has some bloody discharge from her nose when it is hot.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:10 am

[quote="Ky hills"]Just my opinion, I believe that most mainstream breeds will fair pretty decently in most if not all of the continental US. I do see that Brahman and Brahman influenced cattle would have a distinct advantage in the areas with longer, hotter, and more humid summers. Over the years we had had a few cattle that seem to struggle when it is hot. Some have stood around with their tongues hanging out panting like dogs, and some just seem to have labored breathing. Have noticed this in individual animals of different breeds, Charolais, Hereford, and Angus. I think that fescue probably plays a role in that as well. Have a cow now that breathes hard adnd has some bloody discharge from her nose when it is hot.[/. Probably chronic lung damage,,cattle got to pant, it's their way of cooling themselves...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
JWBrahman wrote:The cheapest heifers you can buy at Dominique in Baton Rouge are Charbray. You're lucky to get $0.75/lb for a Charbray steer. Even an F1 Braford will bring $0.80/lb.

Not here they like that Char cross calves.

Nothing wrong with that at all. We're just in different sectors of the beef biz. Ten minutes ago got a call from someone who slaughtered one of our 800 pound F1 Brangus. Said he ate "the best f-cking steak he's ever had in his life" for lunch. Straight off the teat, short ten minute ride to a local processor. I'm in this to build a world class reputation. Not trying to produce average/below average because I deal directly with the consumer. Once upon a time the American rancher was synonymous with quality and integrity...
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:When you boys get ready for your brangus bulls give me a shout, I make a couple trips to Texas a year to see the in-laws. All are sired by Mound Creek bulls.

That's terrific and if I were in Unionville that would be applicable to the situation but since I'm considerably further north and our market docs for ear it isn't.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Any Brahman influence above I20 is pretty much a personal preference...for someone to say I want a some Brahman blood in my herd, no luck with angus,(here) when a neighbor down the road has success with em ?? But I don't care what folks raise....I have Angus,brangus,BM,and simbrah in my herd... :cowboy:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:14 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:When you boys get ready for your brangus bulls give me a shout, I make a couple trips to Texas a year to see the in-laws. All are sired by Mound Creek bulls.

That's terrific and if I were in Unionville that would be applicable to the situation but since I'm considerably further north and our market docs for ear it isn't.

Like you worry about getting discounted for ear?

You live at 100 Easy Street, Warsaw, KY. You married one of our Belles of the Bluegrass. She came with a couple thousand acres on the banks of the Wide Ohio River. You are making a fortune moonlighting at Real Estate after pulling down several grand a year as a mortgage agent. You got a farm manager who breaks his back while you cruise around Music City. As if that is not enough, you are a kept man. "Please, Br'er Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch." Ain't nobody going to feel sorry for you. :|
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Like you worry about getting discounted for ear?

You live at 100 Easy Street, Warsaw, KY. You married one of our Belle's of the Bluegrass. She came with a couple thousand acres on the banks of the Wide Ohio River. You are making a fortune moonlighting at Real Estate after pulling down several grand a year as a mortgage agent. You got a farm manager who breaks his back while you cruise around Music City. As if that is not enough, you are a kept man. "Please, Br'er Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch." Ain't nobody going to feel sorry for you. :|

:pop:
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:54 pm

I'm not saying every one should use F1s or even Brangus. If you can put even 3/16 Brahman blood in your Angus cows you could benefit. When you go back with an Angus bull again the buyers will never know.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Against my better judgement I'm going to chime in.
I've never have nor will ever be a BTO.

In west Texas brangus cattle rule.
Put a terminal bull on them to take off a little ear and the calves ring the bell at the sale.
Here in hot humid SW OK it's mostly angus and a big bunch are red.
Most of mine are red with a few black angus.
I see zero difference in the heat tolerance between the two colors.

I have no idea why they don't run brangus here.
They'd thrive here.
I have a cousin that just bought a brangus bull to raise replacements and I planning on buying some.. if I stay

JMO but in a hot humid area where a cow needs to hustle a living a brangus cow is hard to beat
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I'm not saying every one should use F1s or even Brangus. If you can put even 3/16 Brahman blood in your Angus cows you could benefit. When you go back with an Angus bull again the buyers will never know.

UltraBlacks sounds like a good alternative for cold climates.
0 x

halfbean
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby halfbean » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:24 pm

I sent 17 of my steers and a few heifers last fall to Graham's in Gonzales to be fed after I weaned them. They were 1/4 to 1/2 Brahman. Got the results back last month and they graded out 73% choice with the remainder being select. We use a 44 farms Angus bull and a polled Hereford crossed on the Brahmans. I thought that was pretty respectable.

Graham's specializes in feeding Brahman influenced cattle.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”