Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Badtrain80
Beginner
Beginner

Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Postby Badtrain80 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello I am new here!! I would like to here your thoughts on a some breed crosses. I have two brangus cows that gave birth to calves from a full blooded Santa Gurtrudis bull. I also have a full blooded Hereford cow that calve from the same bull!! My questions are do they have any value outside the action house. The Hereford cow calve a bull and its younger by two weeks to the other two calves and its visually larger in comparison! The other two are a heifer and another bull! All three of them are orange or dark orange in color! The first guy mom is a brangus the second guy mom is the Hereford and last it's the heifer her mom is a brangus. Anything will help. Thanks!!

0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:58 pm

The heifers might but I'm not sure the potential added money is worth the headache. The bull calf needs to go to auction.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Not really
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:11 pm

If the one out of the Hereford cow was a heifer, she would have good value..makes a great cross, like to have a few myself....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Badtrain80
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Badtrain80 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Ok thanks! I was honestly hoping for better feed back. The stud service was cheap could not pass plus trying to grow the herd without spending to much on buying cattle.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Badtrain80 wrote:Ok thanks! I was honestly hoping for better feed back. The stud service was cheap could not pass plus trying to grow the herd without spending to much on buying cattle.

Sometimes using the wrong sire can wind up costing you...you'd have been better off using a good brangus bull over those cows...growing a herd is easy with time... Growing a good one,another thing all together.. One thing I don't skimp on a good bull...but it takes time ,mistakes and experience,to get there..it's a constant battle
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:49 pm

deleted double post
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Badtrain80 wrote:Ok thanks! I was honestly hoping for better feed back. The stud service was cheap could not pass plus trying to grow the herd without spending to much on buying cattle.

Gerts have really went down in popularity. Back in the fifties uncle ran 250 head.
You can't find one now Brangus the F-1 and BM became the preferred Brahman influenced cattle.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:10 am

Keep the heifer. Castrate and sell the bulls.

Rinse.

Repeat.

... and as said above ... get a good bull from a cow family that produces good tempered, deep bodied, fertile cattle.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:47 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
You can't find one now Brangus the F-1 and BM became the preferred Brahman influenced cattle.

You ever heard of anyone in the SW use Droughtmasters?

I've read conflicting articles on them about their makeup. Some say 50/50 Brahma/Shorthorn..some say there can be hereford or other bos taurus in the mix.
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/catt ... ghtmaster/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droughtmaster
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:59 am

GB I have read about them if I ever saw one I didn't know it.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:11 am

Caustic Burno wrote:GB I have read about them if I ever saw one I didn't know it.

+1
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Never saw one myself, and I know how breeders and breed associations are about the pics they post, but I never saw a picture of one I didn't like. I don't remember ever reading about a single US or North American Droughtmaster producer tho. No one wanted to just make 2/3 of a beefmaster I guess...
http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/bee ... ghtmaster/
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:14 pm

You said you'd hoped for better feedback. I didn't think there was anything wrong with what you got, but maybe it wasn't what you wanted to hear. If you're using AI I'd recommend using a Brangus bull on the Hereford cows, and vice versa. You can't go wrong with super baldies.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:43 pm

I would watch the heifer develop. I have seen many good cows with Gert in them. The same can be said about Brangus. Either is a good cross if you are looking for some Brahma benefits without as much dockage. To be truthful IMO it is too early to tell a lot about any of the calves.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”