Angus in Texas

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus in Texas

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Muddy wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I'm not saying every one should use F1s or even Brangus. If you can put even 3/16 Brahman blood in your Angus cows you could benefit. When you go back with an Angus bull again the buyers will never know.

UltraBlacks sounds like a good alternative for cold climates.

I couldn't remember what they called them. I had one. It was supposed to be less Brahman than Brangus. Thought they called it Angus Plus or some thing?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Against my better judgement I'm going to chime in.
I've never have nor will ever be a BTO.

In west Texas brangus cattle rule.
Put a terminal bull on them to take off a little ear and the calves ring the bell at the sale.
Here in hot humid SW OK it's mostly angus and a big bunch are red.
Most of mine are red with a few black angus.
I see zero difference in the heat tolerance between the two colors.

I have no idea why they don't run brangus here.
They'd thrive here.
I have a cousin that just bought a brangus bull to raise replacements and I planning on buying some.. if I stay

JMO but in a hot humid area where a cow needs to hustle a living a brangus cow is hard to beat

Watch it or they'll tell you you're full of it.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Muddy wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I'm not saying every one should use F1s or even Brangus. If you can put even 3/16 Brahman blood in your Angus cows you could benefit. When you go back with an Angus bull again the buyers will never know.

I couldn't remember what they called them. I had one. It was supposed to be less Brahman than Brangus. Thought they called it Angus Plus or some thing?

Called Brangus minus here.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:50 pm

halfbean wrote:I sent 17 of my steers and a few heifers last fall to Graham's in Gonzales to be fed after I weaned them. They were 1/4 to 1/2 Brahman. Got the results back last month and they graded out 73% choice with the remainder being select. We use a 44 farms Angus bull and a polled Hereford crossed on the Brahmans. I thought that was pretty respectable.

Graham's specializes in feeding Brahman influenced cattle.

Need that thumbs up :tiphat:
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:43 pm

halfbean wrote:I sent 17 of my steers and a few heifers last fall to Graham's in Gonzales to be fed after I weaned them. They were 1/4 to 1/2 Brahman. Got the results back last month and they graded out 73% choice with the remainder being select. We use a 44 farms Angus bull and a polled Hereford crossed on the Brahmans. I thought that was pretty respectable.

Thanks for sharing, good job. :clap:

Not only is it respectable but it's typical of the polled Hereford, Angus, Brahman mix.
:deadhorse:
0 x

halfbean
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby halfbean » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:

The DM conversion on them was 6.08, they gained 3.08 lbs/day and the cost of gain was .74 cents per pound. And that includes a few heifers in the group. I figured I cleared over $400/hd extra feeding them out. That's better than taking them to sale barn and being told the buyers don't want calves with ear.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:18 pm

halfbean wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

The DM conversion on them was 6.08, they gained 3.08 lbs/day and the cost of gain was .74 cents per pound. And that includes a few heifers in the group. I figured I cleared over $400/hd extra feeding them out. That's better than taking them to sale barn and being told the buyers don't want calves with ear.

Impressive
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Muddy wrote:

Yup it's Angus Plus, basically Angus Plus and Ultrablack are almost same animal. They have better cold tolerance than most Brahman composites. We have few people that raises Brahman influenced cattle in Minnesota but they're high maintenance animals with high inputs than the Angus & Hereford.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:51 am

Muddy is the world's foremost exert on Bos indicus, Brute. Time for all of us to shut up and learn from his wisdom.

Why is it that nobody on the Gulf Coast lectures Muddy about the grain states but Muddy is overflowing with free advice for us?

May I suggest that Muddy learn Portugese so he can also enlighten the Brazilians? Certainly it must be distressing to him that so many head of cattle are raised without his experience in Wisconsin and Minnesota?
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:04 am

Don't pess down my back and tell me it's raining!
The Outlaw Josey Wales
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAxIqKSx9ag
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:09 am

JWBrahman wrote:Muddy is the world's foremost exert on Bos indicus, Brute. Time for all of us to shut up and learn from his wisdom.

Why is it that nobody on the Gulf Coast lectures Muddy about the grain states but Muddy is overflowing with free advice for us?

May I suggest that Muddy learn Portugese so he can also enlighten the Brazilians? Certainly it must be distressing to him that so many head of cattle are raised without his experience in Wisconsin and Minnesota?

I don't see that he said on word about Brahman cattle in gulf states. Quite the opposite actually.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:32 am

Refer to my Josey Wales post
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 am

JWBrahman wrote:Refer to my Josey Wales post

Show me where Muddy said a negative word about hump back cattle on the gulf coast and I'll think about going to the movies with you.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:28 pm

The Ultrablacks are just Brangus crossed back with Angus, so the result is 3/16 Brahman influence and 13/16 Angus.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Rafter S wrote:The Ultrablacks are just Brangus crossed back with Angus, so the result is 3/16 Brahman influence and 13/16 Angus.

That's a cross even I could learn to love.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”