Salsa

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Salsa

Postby Cross-7 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Cheap alternative
You can add in diced onions and more pepper but it ain't bad with just these 3
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Salsa

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:36 pm

I been putting Ro-Tel in about everything I cook in the crock pot.
0 x

Ca2le
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ca2le » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Haven't tried combining those. Maybe I should give it a try. By the way, I like using my crock pot too.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I been putting Ro-Tel in about everything I cook in the crock pot.

I love me some Ro-Tel. Put it in my spaghetti tonight.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Ro-Tel mixed with Ragu Double Cheddar cheese sauce heated in microwave makes a decent cheap cheese dip too.
0 x

saltbranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby saltbranch » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:51 am

In pot put 20 or so Serranos, an onion, 4-6 cloves garlic. Boil for a few minutes untill peppers are soft, then drain water. Pour into mixer. Mix on high, mean while get a pot of vege oil or the oil you prefer, just need enough to cover bottom of pot. Get the oil hot, then pour in the purr-aid pepper's and let the mix fry a few minutes. Then add salt and pepper to taste. You can add habeneros and ghost peppers to make it spicier
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:38 am

Ghost peppers?.... You guys are insane
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:45 am

Jalapeno is about the limit of my heat tolerance. Ghost peppers are crazy hot to me. I recently found out too that if you bring home made salsa to a drilling rig and place it in the bunkhouse, it will be gone when you get ready to eat it
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:07 am

saltbranch wrote:In pot put 20 or so Serranos, an onion, 4-6 cloves garlic. Boil for a few minutes untill peppers are soft, then drain water. Pour into mixer. Mix on high, mean while get a pot of vege oil or the oil you prefer, just need enough to cover bottom of pot. Get the oil hot, then pour in the purr-aid pepper's and let the mix fry a few minutes. Then add salt and pepper to taste. You can add habeneros and ghost peppers to make it spicier

Spicier is NOT the right word saltbranch. :lol2: :lol2:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:13 am

Craig Miller wrote:JI recently found out too that if you bring home made salsa to a drilling rig and place it in the bunkhouse, it will be gone when you get ready to eat it

I've never been on a drilling rig, but I suspect that would apply to anything homemade, not just salsa.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 am

Rafter S wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:JI recently found out too that if you bring home made salsa to a drilling rig and place it in the bunkhouse, it will be gone when you get ready to eat it

I've never been on a drilling rig, but I suspect that would apply to anything homemade, not just salsa.

It pretty well applies to anything period. We've got a good bunch of guys here. You could leave a hundred dollar bill laying out all week and not worry about it. But we've also got a couple big ole boys here that can't resist some good home made food.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:02 am

Craig Miller wrote:It pretty well applies to anything period. We've got a good bunch of guys here. You could leave a hundred dollar bill laying out all week and not worry about it. But we've also got a couple big ole boys here that can't resist some good home made food.

Had this in our squad room, but if you left your pen laying around someone would grab it.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 pm

My wife mixes the Ro tel with ground beef sometimes for tacos. She has been making salsa, and using it the same way, she uses salsa in chili and other dishes in place of plain tomatoes. We have been growing some jalapenos. She put's them in a lot of dishes, that's as spicy as we have ventured to try. When my wife and mother both tried making salsa together it turned into a fiasco, my mother doesn't want any spiciness at all and wants it sweet, wife likes to put several jalapenos.
0 x

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cbcr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 am

Wife will use those, also adds cilantro, a habanero pepper, we also grow some salsa peppers, and some garlic.
0 x

saltbranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby saltbranch » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:46 pm

TexasBred wrote:
saltbranch wrote:In pot put 20 or so Serranos, an onion, 4-6 cloves garlic. Boil for a few minutes untill peppers are soft, then drain water. Pour into mixer. Mix on high, mean while get a pot of vege oil or the oil you prefer, just need enough to cover bottom of pot. Get the oil hot, then pour in the purr-aid pepper's and let the mix fry a few minutes. Then add salt and pepper to taste. You can add habeneros and ghost peppers to make it spicier

Spicier is NOT the right word saltbranch. :lol2: :lol2:

A quick story for humor. I made some hot sauce to take to work, using recipe above. I added 4 Carolina Reapers into the mix and this stuff would peel paint. After pranking different guys at work, we had this salesman come in. He was a normal vendor from Louisiana and a cool guy. I need to add the taco lady just came and I had bought 2 breakfast tacos. Anyways he and another salesman were talking salsa(set up) and he proceeded to talk about Texas hot and Louisiana hot......how Louisiana hot was hotter. So I brought out my special hot sauce and spooned several spoons on one of my tacos. I suggested he try it and one of the guys had some crackers to use, he was game. I put about a quarter size dab on the cracker and he ate it whole. The Carolina Reapers have creeping heat if you never had them.....so at first he was like good flavor, not bad spice. A minute or so later, he was saying its getting hot :tiphat: then I dumped my taco in the trash. the look on his face was priceless, before it was over with he had eaten butter, sugar, water, salt just to try and kill the heat, literally has tears and spitting drool in the trashcan. He was a bit be nice so I took the same size dab on a cracker and took it for the team :banana: ,Texas heat got him that day :cboy: and he has refused my hot sauce since!
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”