Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Re: Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Postby BK9954 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:11 pm

There is a guy that sells hereford/ Santa Gertrudis cross replacement heifers in the Souther Livestock Standard paper. He runs a full ad. People say they make great replacements here in Tx. I dont think they would bring a penny more at the auction. Never seen a brown hereford cross with ear bring more(except tigerstripes)Probably just on the market as replacement heifers. I thought about throwing some Santa Gertrudis on my Hereford bull but there's just not as much money in it from what I see.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:14 pm

BK9954 wrote:There is a guy that sells hereford/ Santa Gertrudis cross replacement heifers in the Souther Livestock Standard paper. He runs a full ad. People say they make great replacements here in Tx. I dont think they would bring a penny more at the auction. Never seen a brown hereford cross with ear bring more(except tigerstripes)Probably just on the market as replacement heifers. I thought about throwing some Santa Gertrudis on my Hereford bull but there's just not as much money in it from what I see.

https://www.google.com/search?q=star+fi ... UA7-hdC8eM: gimme gimme,,,my name is jimmy :cowboy:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:47 pm

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

saintgert
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby saintgert » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:32 am

I'm not sure where you're located, but generally agree with Walnut Crest's guidance--Gert cross heifers can make really good replacements, but usually you need something pretty special/an established market in your area to make a go of it with a composite bull. As an example: https://briggsranches.com/bulls/ and https://rockingasantagertrudis.com/brazos-composite/
0 x

Badtrain80
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Badtrain80 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Rafter S wrote:You said you'd hoped for better feedback. I didn't think there was anything wrong with what you got, but maybe it wasn't what you wanted to hear. If you're using AI I'd recommend using a Brangus bull on the Hereford cows, and vice versa. You can't go wrong with super baldies.

All the info is great I was hoping to hear about the gerts mix with brangus! Seems like no one has done that cross before! Thank you for your input I'll start looking for a brangus bull. The cows should be ready by the end of August!
0 x

Badtrain80
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Badtrain80 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 pm

elkwc wrote:I would watch the heifer develop. I have seen many good cows with Gert in them. The same can be said about Brangus. Either is a good cross if you are looking for some Brahma benefits without as much dockage. To be truthful IMO it is too early to tell a lot about any of the calves.

When would it be a good time to tell if they are good calves? Thanks for your input!!
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:07 am

Before you give up on Santa Gertrudis, go to http://santagertrudis.com/. At the bottom left hand corner of the home page there is a link to a powerpoint on how to use Santa Gertrudis in a crossbreeding program.

By the way, Salacoa Valley Brangus (Seminole Tribe) is getting into Gerts to compliment their Brangus cattle by offering red cattle to customers.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:11 am

BC wrote:Before you give up on Santa Gertrudis, go to http://santagertrudis.com/. At the bottom left hand corner of the home page there is a link to a powerpoint on how to use Santa Gertrudis in a crossbreeding program.

By the way, Salacoa Valley Brangus (Seminole Tribe) is getting into Gerts to compliment their Brangus cattle by offering red cattle to customers.

Howdy BC,

I hadn't heard that, and I wonder why they chose Gerts over Red Brangus?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 am

Probably for the crossbred effect, instead of breed regression...course I've been told the market don't give a crap about hybrid vigor... Which is the whole concept behind cross breeding....superior to the parents..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:Probably for the crossbred effect, instead of breed regression...course I've been told the market don't give a crap about hybrid vigor... Which is the whole concept behind cross breeding....superior to the parents..

You missed that deal. I meant most of the market doesnt understand why tigers are good. They just know they are. They get duped into buying tigers that are not true f1 crosses so they get the color but not the performance.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:50 am

Neighbor has a couple hundred head of gerts and has started the last few years using a horned Hereford bull on them. Have made some pretty darn good crossbred cows and the steers have done well (except for the knock on the ear) at the salebarn. 2 of them in 2 different years finished in the upper 10% of the market steers at the local county fair. Our fair uses ultra sound for carcass evaluation. That gets figured in with the market value, daily gain and the beauty contest scores. The brangus steers don;t do any better at the beauty contest part because of the ear.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Badtrain80
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Badtrain80 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:56 am

dun wrote:Neighbor has a couple hundred head of gerts and has started the last few years using a horned Hereford bull on them. Have made some pretty darn good crossbred cows and the steers have done well (except for the knock on the ear) at the salebarn. 2 of them in 2 different years finished in the upper 10% of the market steers at the local county fair. Our fair uses ultra sound for carcass evaluation. That gets figured in with the market value, daily gain and the beauty contest scores. The brangus steers don;t do any better at the beauty contest part because of the ear.

What do you mean by: except for the knock on the ear
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Badtrain80 wrote:
dun wrote:Neighbor has a couple hundred head of gerts and has started the last few years using a horned Hereford bull on them. Have made some pretty darn good crossbred cows and the steers have done well (except for the knock on the ear) at the salebarn. 2 of them in 2 different years finished in the upper 10% of the market steers at the local county fair. Our fair uses ultra sound for carcass evaluation. That gets figured in with the market value, daily gain and the beauty contest scores. The brangus steers don;t do any better at the beauty contest part because of the ear.

What do you mean by: except for the knock on the ear

In this area ear is looked on with disfavor. The more ear they have he hauls them to oklahoma
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:00 pm

I see too many people worry over a dock for too much ear, when they are giving up pounds. I was visiting with 2 order buyers after the sale and they both said they would rather have the dock and sell more pounds. One gave the example of a 500 lb okie steer @ $1.45 =$725.00 or a 550 lb Brahman influenced calf @ $1.35 = $742.50. We keep score with dollar bills.
0 x

f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby f1tiger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Gents will work in cross breeding ; check out Nunley brothers in Sabinal Texas : selling 500 heifers at the coyote ranch headquarters ; they have ranches all over texas: they cross the gerts with Hereford , angus and now are using watusi in their operation: you can view the cattle before the sale and then bid on video screen on sale day at the lodge but the big bass jumping in their very large lake is distracting , south Texas is home to some of the best santa gertrudis operations you will ever find
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”