Best cash flow for cattle

The place to start if you are new!
trin
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Best cash flow for cattle

Postby trin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Wanting to get you folks opinion. If you have 36 acres what would be the best way to make money in cattle? Would it be beef cows, using buses cows, or raising feeder calved? All input is needed thank you!
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Best cash flow for cattle

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Not trying to be a wise-a$$, but what are "buses cows"?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:08 pm

If there was a 'best way' to make money in cattle, everybody would be doing that. In fact if making money period in cattle were easy, everybody would be doing it. Not trying to be a smarta$$ but I don't see how anybody can honestly answer your question. Too many variables for one, what kind of resources and facilities are you working with besides the 36 acres? Which isn't much by the way if you are looking to make much more than beer money.
0 x

kd4au
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kd4au » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:31 pm

One of the things about the cattle bis. is there are a lot of ways to be in it,mostly you need to do what suits you the best.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:57 pm

I've always thought, if I just had a few acres, I'd buy short bred cows, and keep em till they calved.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 pm

:?:
Workinonit Farm wrote:Not trying to be a wise-a$$, but what are "buses cows"?

:?: :?: :?: x3
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Nurse cows?

I have not done this but I was thinking the other day if I had a small place i would buy 4 or 5 really good papered females. I would AI them to good bulls and sell them private treaty for breeding and/or show animals.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

trin
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby trin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:26 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:Not trying to be a wise-a$$, but what are "buses cows"?

Nurse cows. Sorry bout that.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:09 am

I know a guy that does pretty good , buying culls from barn in spring pits them on millet all summer sells in fall. Most are bred so he takes calves and gets them to 4 to 500 then sells them. He told last week he doubled his money after expenses , I think that's stretching it some but I think he does pretty good on it.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:42 am

M-5 wrote:I know a guy that does pretty good , buying culls from barn in spring pits them on millet all summer sells in fall. Most are bred so he takes calves and gets them to 4 to 500 then sells them. He told last week he doubled his money after expenses , I think that's stretching it some but I think he does pretty good on it.

Any system that eliminates producing or buying hay to get through the winter sounds enticing to me at this point.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:42 am

Brute 23 wrote:Nurse cows?

I have not done this but I was thinking the other day if I had a small place i would buy 4 or 5 really good papered females. I would AI them to good bulls and sell them private treaty for breeding and/or show animals.

Good suggestion.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:47 am

Bigfoot wrote:I've always thought, if I just had a few acres, I'd buy short bred cows, and keep em till they calved.

Over the spring/summer/fall so you don't have to buy hay or hay equipment.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:11 am

trin wrote:Wanting to get you folks opinion. If you have 36 acres what would be the best way to make money in cattle? Would it be beef cows, using buses cows, or raising feeder calved? All input is needed thank you!

How much of your acreage is grazeable? How much risk are you comfortable with? Grazing 2 wt calves to 4 wts looks pretty good right now being that they bring the same per lb selling as buying them. Some of my customers having been keeping them 10 months til they're 7 wts and grossing $1.50 per head per day on minimal feed. Don't need to keep a cow around to nurse them either. :2cents:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 am

I used to plant rye and overseed with ryegrass. Bought no mouth pairs in December. Word of advice, sell the cows by tax day (April 15). Schools about out and school lunch program stops. You could graze the calves until end of May. If I were to do this again, I would throw crabgrass seed in with ryegrass. Noble Foundation did this and you could graze a set of yearlings in the summer before time to plant rye and ryegrass again. The disking in the fall helps plant the crabgrass for next summer.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Nurse cows?

This is exactly what I'm doing. Four registered Beltie cows, but I also bought a nice registered bull instead of AI. Calves at 12 months selling for $2,000 to $2,500 on the low/middle end. I'm only on 15 acres.

Last edited by NonTypicalCPA on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”