Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Seen Them on American Rancher the other night....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby f1tiger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 pm

The last sale I attended the angus bulls they were using Gardiner bulls ..... case closed, excellent heifers
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:51 am

Have a few Santa Gertrudis x Hereford cows. They seem to be a good cross that works well for us. Have had calves from them by Angus bulls and this year by a Hereford bull. The 3/4 Hereford calves are still a dark red and though they are young they look to me like they will be good calves.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Ky hills wrote:Have a few Santa Gertrudis x Hereford cows. They seem to be a good cross that works well for us. Have had calves from them by Angus bulls and this year by a Hereford bull. The 3/4 Hereford calves are still a dark red and though they are young they look to me like they will be good calves.
. Should be, Are they goggle eyed ??
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Ky hills wrote:Have a few Santa Gertrudis x Hereford cows. They seem to be a good cross that works well for us. Have had calves from them by Angus bulls and this year by a Hereford bull. The 3/4 Hereford calves are still a dark red and though they are young they look to me like they will be good calves.

Gert/Hereford cross is just a wrong percentage Beefmaster
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:52 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
. Should be, Are they goggle eyed ??

The 1/2 Gert cows we have are either goggle eyed or have red faces with some white on them. The Hereford calves from them are not really goggle eyed but have red necks and a little red around the eyes.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:

Maybe, but I've seen some of them. They make good cows, and are a consistent dark red, with varying amounts of white on the face, instead of the crayon box of colors you get from Beefmasters.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Maybe, but I've seen some of them. They make good cows, and are a consistent dark red, with varying amounts of white on the face, instead of the crayon box of colors you get from Beefmasters.

That 1/4 SH goes a long way when adding chrome
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Why don't the gerts chrome up like the Beefmasters when the gerts are 62.5% Shorthorn and the BM are only 25%(plus %25 Hereford)?
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Post Oak wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

Why don't the gerts chrome up like the Beefmasters when the gerts are 62.5% Shorthorn and the BM are only 25%(plus %25 Hereford)?

Not exactly sure, but maybe they were selectively bred for solid color.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:50 am

Post Oak wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

Maybe it was the combination of Hereford and Shorthorn that put the chrome on them.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 am

Post Oak wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

That was a mutant dark red color gene that stuck came out of a bull named Monkey . The King ranch secured from the Pierce ranch a bull that was 1/2 Brahman and SH bull was mated to SH this mating produced Monkey that is the foundation bull of all modern day gerts.

I was well educated in the hateful breed as a young man. Uncle ran a herd of 250 of them and I was the ranch gofer.
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:00 am

To answer the question of why Gerts don't "chrome" up, they were selected for solid color. I like a little white on the udders of my Gert cows. My experience is those cows seem to milk a little heavier. I have seen the same thing in Brangus.

Caustic, the breed has changed from your and mine younger days. They are not your uncle's Gerts. Here is a picture of a late 1960's early 70's bull and a modern Gert bull.

0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am

BC wrote:To answer the question of why Gerts don't "chrome" up, they were selected for solid color. I like a little white on the udders of my Gert cows. My experience is those cows seem to milk a little heavier. I have seen the same thing in Brangus.

Caustic, the breed has changed from your and mine younger days. They are not your uncle's Gerts. Here is a picture of a late 1960's early 70's bull and a modern Gert bull.

. Yep that older bull's type really hurt the breed....and it's been a struggle to recover..ad that and bad temperament... And they seemed more trouble than they were worth...you could build a saddle outa that sheath..
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:31 am

BC wrote:To answer the question of why Gerts don't "chrome" up, they were selected for solid color. I like a little white on the udders of my Gert cows. My experience is those cows seem to milk a little heavier. I have seen the same thing in Brangus.

BC,

Do you know if anyone maintained any of the Mayfair Gert bloodlines?
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”