Over Conditioning

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Over Conditioning

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:08 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:Isn't Kentucky known for good grass??? We have had no rain in a month...and the pastures are crunchy...I have lots of grass, it is just rank. I'd let her run with the others Ron.

Tim

Tim,

I think our grass in this area is very nutritious. Unless the pasture is over stocked, cattle here carry a lot of condition just eating forage. The Bluegrass and outer Bluegrass which is the physiographic area I fall in, are both known for good soils. That is why the thorobreds do so well here.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Is that a heifer Ron? How long do you leave the calves on them? I would think the longer the better to put a bit of a check on them in your situation.

Ken
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:42 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Is that a heifer Ron? How long do you leave the calves on them? I would think the longer the better to put a bit of a check on them in your situation.

Ken

I can see why you ask if she is a heifer by her udder. NO. This will be her third calf. My cows are now all fall calvers. They were weaned at 6 months. I like to get them weaned and on feed so I can take the bulls to Fire Sweep by June so she can finish them.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Ohhh, baby's got back! And yet some cows are just fat. My Steamroller was a chunk when we got her 9 years ago and now clocks in at well over 2000 lbs. Doesn't matter if she's penned or grazing, she doesn't walk it off and she's raised huge calves but never draws down. BTW, fat as she is she breeds like clockwork.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:03 am

TCRanch wrote:Ohhh, baby's got back! And yet some cows are just fat. My Steamroller was a chunk when we got her 9 years ago and now clocks in at well over 2000 lbs. Doesn't matter if she's penned or grazing, she doesnj't walk it off and she's raised huge calves but never draws down. BTW, fat as she is she breeds like clockwork.

That is encouraging. So far all is going well even the ones over conditioned.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:53 am

Some people's favorite color in cattle is "FAT" LOL! :lol: I'd rather have that than rail poor. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:19 am

We have the same issue with all but one of the vows in the Granny family line. I prefer to leave then on pasture so they have a wider area to cover. I feel the additinal muscle tone from all of the walking helps with the over condition possible issues. It's worked fine for 18 years so I guess I'll continue doing it.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Health & Nutrition”