Trying different variations for salsa.

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Trying different variations for salsa.

Postby Ky hills » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 am

Yesterday my wife started making this years salsa. She makes some kind of spicy with jalapenos and beans, and then has a milder sweeter one with corn. She also made some from the left over tomatoes, peppers, and corn. It turned out to be about our favorite, it had some heat and a little sweetness to it.
This is her first batch of the year while cooking.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Trying different variations for salsa.

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:53 am

Looks yummy, I assume she cans it? I eat food on my salsa..lol
I turn my tomatoes into roasted condensed tomato sauce, just tomatoes cooked about 8ish hours. I then freeze it in 4oz bags. When I need salsa I just get what I need out of the freezer and make it. If I need pizza sauce, I do the same. Really extends our tomato crop. I found that if I put it into pint jars, sometimes we'd forget about it and some would go bad. I don't need a whole pint to make a pizza, so this has worked out really good for me. If I need more, I get 2 bags, etc......
I've found though, when I need salsa we eat at Taco Bell and I fill my purse up with packets.. lol.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 am

Note to self , Don't buy salsa steal it from taco bell.................................not
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:39 am

Ky hills, what kind of tomatoes do you grow for your salsa..I have problems with mine being too watery for salsa, which is why I started roasting them...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:35 pm

That looks good. When tomatoes come in we make a lot of salsa and other things. Salsa is fun to make because you can add just about anything and experiment like you are doing. I prefer to can ours because it keeps longer and saves room in the freezer.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:52 pm

M-5 wrote:Note to self , Don't buy salsa steal it from taco bell.................................not

Taco John's makes a couple of house salsas that are actually pretty good for a fast food place, but not available from drive through window.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:41 pm

I really enjoy making salsa also. The problem I have is waiting on my tomatoes to turn red. I actually got my first couple red ones today. The past few years a few friends of mine have started a "Salsa day" tradition. My one buddy has a really cool outdoor kitchen with a huge stone cooking area,.everyone brings a few buckets of salsa ingredients and we spend the day making and canning several batches of salsa. We always give the batches stupid names and some of them have become legendary. "Ring of fire '15" was a really good one and last year's "Scorpion '16" is still talked about, excellent flavor and heat. I will find the recipe and post it if anyone is interested.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:55 pm

ohiosteve wrote:I really enjoy making salsa also. The problem I have is waiting on my tomatoes to turn red. I actually got my first couple red ones today. The past few years a few friends of mine have started a "Salsa day" tradition. My one buddy has a really cool outdoor kitchen with a huge stone cooking area,.everyone brings a few buckets of salsa ingredients and we spend the day making and canning several batches of salsa. We always give the batches stupid names and some of them have become legendary. "Ring of fire '15" was a really good one and last year's "Scorpion '16" is still talked about, excellent flavor and heat. I will find the recipe and post it if anyone is interested.

What kind of tomatoes do you use? I plant celebrity because they do well for me, but I find that they just make salsa watery unless I roast them down first....but then they have that sun dried tomato taste which is good too....
Tomato plants down here have kind of wound down. I just went out and picked about 20 pounds of very ripe ones. I kind of forgot about them and went out to water my corn and saw so many red ones....Also, I made the mistake in planting cherries on the other side of the garden, mistake because this winter I thought I did care what kind of tomatoes I had since last year was so bad....lol They got over 7 ft tall and are just covered with no end in sight. We're going to get cool rain for the next 10 days which will just encourage them....yes, you can get tired of eating tomatoes.. :secret:
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:I really enjoy making salsa also. The problem I have is waiting on my tomatoes to turn red. I actually got my first couple red ones today. The past few years a few friends of mine have started a "Salsa day" tradition. My one buddy has a really cool outdoor kitchen with a huge stone cooking area,.everyone brings a few buckets of salsa ingredients and we spend the day making and canning several batches of salsa. We always give the batches stupid names and some of them have become legendary. "Ring of fire '15" was a really good one and last year's "Scorpion '16" is still talked about, excellent flavor and heat. I will find the recipe and post it if anyone is interested.

What kind of tomatoes do you use? I plant celebrity because they do well for me, but I find that they just make salsa watery unless I roast them down first....but then they have that sun dried tomato taste which is good too....
Tomato plants down here have kind of wound down. I just went out and picked about 20 pounds of very ripe ones. I kind of forgot about them and went out to water my corn and saw so many red ones....Also, I made the mistake in planting cherries on the other side of the garden, mistake because this winter I thought I did care what kind of tomatoes I had since last year was so bad....lol They got over 7 ft tall and are just covered with no end in sight. We're going to get cool rain for the next 10 days which will just encourage them....yes, you can get tired of eating tomatoes.. :secret:

I get my tomato plants from an Amish family that has a greenhouse and they specialize in vegtables. This place is awesome. I always get several varieties, I stay away from Roma's. This year I have Big boy, Amish paste, oxheart and a variety they said was their grandma's favorite but didn't have a name (of course you have to buy that one, Amish grandma's favorite c'mon). So far the big boys are way out producing all others but I can't say how they are because they are all still green.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:37 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun. We do something similar. Its amazing how much just a few people can put up in a day.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Jogeephus wrote:

That sounds like a lot of fun. We do something similar. Its amazing how much just a few people can put up in a day.

It's also amazing just how many beers can be drank by just a few of my friends in a day :hide:
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:33 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Ky hills, what kind of tomatoes do you grow for your salsa..I have problems with mine being too watery for salsa, which is why I started roasting them...

We use Roma tomatoes for the salsa, don't like them for much else though. My wife likes a chunkier less watery salsa too, she was experimenting around and didn't scald her tomatoes for as long on the last batch that she didn't can, she said it did better that way.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Ky hills wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Ky hills, what kind of tomatoes do you grow for your salsa..I have problems with mine being too watery for salsa, which is why I started roasting them...

We use Roma tomatoes for the salsa, don't like them for much else though. My wife likes a chunkier less watery salsa too, she was experimenting around and didn't scald her tomatoes for as long on the last batch that she didn't can, she said it did better that way.

I like a thick salsa also. KyHills, I don't know your wife's process but if she can thicken the sauce by using the skins. To do this scald core and peel but save the peels and put in a pot along with the cores and boil them for about an hour or so till they are just falling apart. After you've done this, run the contents of the pot through a food mill and you will end up with a thick paste like sauce that is high in pectin that you can either used to make tomato paste or add to your salsa as a thickener.

Not only does this make the most use of your tomatoes but it really adds a lot to your salsa. Your waste on a batch of tomatoes will only be about 3.5%. Granted its not worth the effort unless you are processing a bunch of tomatoes. If you are only doing a small batch using a small tin of tomato paste will make a world of difference if she wants that thick salsa.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Ky hills wrote:

I like a thick salsa also. KyHills, I don't know your wife's process but if she can thicken the sauce by using the skins. To do this scald core and peel but save the peels and put in a pot along with the cores and boil them for about an hour or so till they are just falling apart. After you've done this, run the contents of the pot through a food mill and you will end up with a thick paste like sauce that is high in pectin that you can either used to make tomato paste or add to your salsa as a thickener.

Not only does this make the most use of your tomatoes but it really adds a lot to your salsa. Your waste on a batch of tomatoes will only be about 3.5%. Granted its not worth the effort unless you are processing a bunch of tomatoes. If you are only doing a small batch using a small tin of tomato paste will make a world of difference if she wants that thick salsa.

Thank you Jogeephus for that information, I appreciate it.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 am

Try slow roasting your tomatoes before making them into salsa....takes it to a whole new level....
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”