Green as it gets

The place to start if you are new!
brianjjohnson
Beginner
Beginner

Green as it gets

Postby brianjjohnson » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:38 pm

I have just bought 33 head of cattle and am in need of some direction. Ive been doing as much reading on general info as i can, but still have a few (a lot) of questions. I have 13 calves and 20 heifers on 25 acres. No barn, no catch pin and 2 feed troughs. The land was purchased from a lady with a third party lease on it. He was using it for cattle (the same cattle i ended up buying). I had intentions of cleaning up the land and then starting with a few cows and working up my own herd. However, long-story short a good deal persuaded me in purchasing the cows as well. The land was COVERED in summer cedars, to the point you couldn't see any grass and calves and smaller heifers would get lost in the muck. Since purchase I have bush-hogged everything down. Lastly the cows are pretty puny looking and to my knowledge have not been wormed, preg-checked or had any fly prevention. Cows are located in North Alabama and I was told that they are a black-angus mix.... Okay now that you have that back-round here are my questions.

1. What type of grain feed if any do i need to be getting to get the weight back up/ how long do i keep them on it
2. What type of mineral-block and how many /how long do i keep them on it.
3. Do i need to spray fields for weeds and cedars now or weight till next year./ What do i need to spray them with
4. What type of wormer should i give/ injectable -pour on- vet gun?
5. Fly prevention?

I have a buddy i go to church with coming out to look that works with the north american limousine association. hes going to tell me about which ones i need to get rid of and which ones to keep.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Green as it gets

Postby Ol' 243 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Oh boy, I'm afraid you done bit of a chunk. First thing to do is concentrate on getting some facilities to work them in.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Green as it gets table

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:32 pm

you can cut the cedar growth over half cutting it in bloom,, right now... Depending on how bad you have it,can have it under control in a couple years...you need to get portable panels up..you can borrow,rent a portable squeeze chute from the extension office.to get you by. Sounds like they need a injectable wormer now,to get full effect.the pour on is good on healthy cows...get your buddy to mouth the cows...https://www.google.com/search?q=portabl ... AXLAkGasXM:
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 pm

My advice would be to sell 2/3 of your herd and get things in order.

Edit sell 3/4.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:36 pm

From your pasture description I think you need to start by selling off half your cows. If you don't have grass for them now, you sure aren't going to have enough thru the winter.

Other option is to buy more and run a feedlot.

Ya beat me to it fence....
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Why not sell all the cattle, work on the place, then buy the way you planned?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:33 pm

Who might your buddy be that works with North American Limousin?
0 x

Aaron9876
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Aaron9876 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Wow...way to dive in head first...off a cliff...blindfolded...

If the pastures are as bad as you describe why did they have so may head per acre?
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:18 pm

Aaron9876 wrote:Wow...way to dive in head first...off a cliff...blindfolded...

If the pastures are as bad as you describe why did they have so may head per acre?
overstocking seems to be the norm in North Ala..
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Sell them. If you sell them for more than the "great deal" you got them for, you will be ahead of me for this year profit-wise. (And ahead of many others, I'll bet). Having pocketed some profit, consider yourself a successful cattle farmer and retire from it. (Only half joking).

Seriously, consider selling them and getting proper facilities before you jump back in. Just because you got a good deal doesn't mean your original plan wasn't good. They need worked and you need a way to do it safely.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:55 am

Doubt you'd get much for them if their looking poor,, a lot of it due to the calves pulling them down..and you say they are first Calvers..sell the calves if their old enough..and before the market is flooded next month...fertilize pasture now, so it can recover,and some fall and winter grazing...weve been getting plenty of rain to do it good...if you keep em get in shape going into winter...
0 x

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:41 am

Whew, whatever you do, good luck. Sounds like you got a lot of work ahead.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:31 am

brianjjohnson wrote:1. What type of grain feed if any do i need to be getting to get the weight back up/ how long do i keep them on it
Give them some good hay, and all of it they'll eat. Any good feed will help, but don't give them a lot of it right away. Ease them into it.
2. What type of mineral-block and how many /how long do i keep them on it. Don't get blocks. If you have a place to keep it out of the weather then loose mineral and loose salt are a better choice. Keep both out for them year round. If you can't keep it out of the weather then get a mineral block and a salt block. Again, year-round.
3. Do i need to spray fields for weeds and cedars now or weight till next year./ What do i need to spray them with Wait until next spring
4. What type of wormer should i give/ injectable -pour on- vet gun? Since you don't have any way to catch them, spray-on or pour-on may be your only option.
5. Fly prevention? That's the least of your problems right now.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Rafter S wrote:
brianjjohnson wrote:1. What type of grain feed if any do i need to be getting to get the weight back up/ how long do i keep them on it
Give them some good hay, and all of it they'll eat. Any good feed will help, but don't give them a lot of it right away. Ease them into it.
2. What type of mineral-block and how many /how long do i keep them on it. Don't get blocks. If you have a place to keep it out of the weather then loose mineral and loose salt are a better choice. Keep both out for them year round. If you can't keep it out of the weather then get a mineral block and a salt block. Again, year-round.

3. Do i need to spray fields for weeds and cedars now or weight till next year./ What do i need to spray them with Wait until next spring
4. What type of wormer should i give/ injectable -pour on- vet gun? Since you don't have any way to catch them, spray-on or pour-on may be your only option.

I like these for mineral... Cows like them too...
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:58 pm

HDRider wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

I like these for mineral... Cows like them too...

Thank you for posting that. I have some of those too, but clean forgot to mention it this morning.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Beginners Board”