Does anybody make a living with cattle?

The place to start if you are new!
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Do you or anyone you know make a living with cattle? What size and type of operation would it take in your opinion?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:39 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Do you or anyone you know make a living with cattle? What size and type of operation would it take in your opinion?

I know of no one today that does.
In my youth truck farming yes but not on strictly cattle.
My uncle ran the largest registered herd I knew of at the time in East Texas (250) he made his money in liquor.
Owned several package stores on the only wet county line for several counties. I have actually rode with him to the bank and he had a weekend worth of cash in peck baskets on the seat.
If you ever seen him you would have thought he was penniless.
On just cattle bet it would take minimum 300 head.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:44 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Do you or anyone you know make a living with cattle? What size and type of operation would it take in your opinion?

Know several, the majority are seek stock producers..need to have a few hundred if your commercial, can get by with less if your frugal.
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:54 pm

A couple of local stockers here. Probably 1500 calves. One has been out of cattle for a while and probably has 14 broiler houses.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:55 pm

I used to. They all went broke and now have a 8-5 job.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:00 pm

I know one. He and his dad work together. His dad also has cattle on the place. I've never asked how much land he has or how many cows. It ain't polite. It's probably 800ish acres between what he owns and rents and probably 400 cows. That's all just a guess though.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 pm

shaz wrote:A couple of local stockers here. Probably 1500 calves. One has been out of cattle for a while and probably has 14 broiler houses.

Was up in Amish country this past week...seen some feedlots...musta been a lot in and around Lawrenceburg at one time...
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Everybody knows all you have to do is get "bigger" to make more money. Just grow your way into a profit. :cowboy:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:17 pm

The few i know direct market. I know specifics on one guy, he sells 50-60 a year i would guess. Roughly half of which are born on his farm. I'm thinking he has a good thing going. Doesn't live an extravagant lifestyle, nothing new. But is content and seems to be very comfortable. He trades some cattle around throughout the year also. He has the function over fashion mentality, which i think is imperative. He leases quite a bit of what he farms.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 pm

TexasBred wrote:

Everybody knows all you have to do is get "bigger" to make more money. Just grow your way into a profit. :cowboy:
that's better then some did here when they were high...they hocked every thing buying up cows...lot of em lost their butts...
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:49 pm

I know three or four guys in the 250 to 300 head range, but they made their money elsewhere and retired and run cows. The only person I actually know that has made a living at it runs about 450 head, but he inherited the land.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:17 pm

There are a few. Very few!!!! Here it is the guys who produce seedstock and they have a reputation. They flush their top pedigrees and sell embryos. They hit it big with a couple bulls every year so can sell semen. They also run big herds and can scrape off the cream and sell it at premium prices. They sell commercial seedstock to buyers on a national scale. But even these operations plow a lot of the money back into the infrastructure.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:19 pm

We have for 37 years... I don't know how people get started these days with the price of land though....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:23 pm

I know a few folks that do alright with cattle. I'd say around 100 head is the break even point and all one man can handle when you have to feed hay.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:26 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:We have for 37 years... I don't know how people get started these days with the price of land though....

it's almost impossible for a young person to get into the business now...it can be done but,they have to be industrious...most ain't . My son is,I'm not...
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”