Foot rot

Cattle problems.
AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Foot rot

Postby AZAggie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:09 pm

I had one of my older cows come up lame suddenly. Wasn't totally sure what happened, but it came on quickly. Vet says it is foot rot. Anyone have any dealings with this problem? Vet gave me some Draxxin which she got yesterday.
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Foot rot

Postby AZAggie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Picture of her foot.
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:16 pm

We see it some. Treated right it should heal.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Bleach in a pump sprayer works good to...keep it doctored for sure till cleared...we tend to let it roll when they show improvement..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:33 pm

I don't have any advice on treating it, but if you'll keep EDDI salt out year round you won't have to worry about it in the future.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 am

Draxxin should do the trick. We thoroughly clean the foot with diluted Betadyne, trim if necessary, and coat it with Kopertox. If you don't see a significant improvement within a few days you may want to give her Sustain III boluses.
0 x

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:55 am

Still swollen badly a week after treatment with Draxxin. She's walking a bit better but still looks bad.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Did you check to make sure there wasn't a rock or something in between the toes? I generally dig around with a flat head screwdriver. Or a nail/wire/whatever may have punctured her foot. DMSO or aspirin should help with the swelling. I have one that's chronic, most likely in the bone and we've treated her too many times. She's on her way out.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Aspirin would give her some pain relief. Swelling from foot rot should be gone in less than a week after treatment.
Swelling from bruising could easily take 4 - 6 weeks to heal.
0 x

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:16 pm

I haven't been able to get her into the lot where I can secure her. Of course she's as far away from it as she can get. I'm going to try to get her tied down where I can get a closer look.
0 x

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 am

I finally got the cow into my lot where I could get a good look at the foot. This picture below is what I found. There was a hunk of something, almost felt like tendon or ligament, hanging out that I cut off. I probed around and didn't feel anything in there. Gave her some more antibiotics. I'm thinking now she had something in her foot. Anyone seen an injury similar to this?
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:22 am

Could be a abscess,, they start at the sole and work their way up to the band and out
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:20 pm

In my experience once they get foot rot it will come back on them . I fought it with a couple cows for a few years. Never failed they would get it again. So now I get the cow back in good health and take her to the sale barn.
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks for the info fellas.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Glad you got her in for a closer look - which does not look good. I agree with puncture wound or abscess. Good luck with her!
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”