Dmentia

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Dmentia

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 am

Just heard this week that a classmate of mine was placed in an Alzheimer's disease Unit. He was touring last year with his wife and cousin with trucks and fifth wheels. Never know when something will slip up and bite you in the butt.
0 x

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8503
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Dmentia

Postby slick4591 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:32 am

Sorry about your friend. My MIL is in a nursing facility and has it. Most of the time she can't tell you if she has eaten 20 minutes afterwards. Still knows faces, but the short term is almost gone.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: Dmentia

Postby jltrent » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:32 am

IT has hit him fast, that is usually not good. Some people decline slowly over a long time.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: Wedowee, Al

Re: Dmentia

Postby Ol' 243 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:42 am

Bad, bad disease. The families suffer the most.
0 x

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23427
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Dmentia

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:43 am

Horrible disease and sorry about your friend. I have to deal with it every day with someone in my family. At the moment I am paying for caregivers from sunup to dark but after some incidents last week it may turn into round the clock care. I think it would be easier on everyone if we put her in a home but her wish is to die in her home so I'll keep paying caregivers as long as I can.

Don't know much about this but I've been told they are finding a link between dementia and sugar. It sounds like people with heavier meat diets who stay in ketosis more often are less apt to suffer from this disease and they are even injecting some sort of fatty substance into the brain to kick the mind into ketosis rather than running on sugar. (probably botched that explanation up but it sounds like there is some hope)
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14504
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Dmentia

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:54 am

Sorry to hear it JD.
It is horrible to watch, as brilliant minds become almost child like. If I had to make a choice, I would rather my physical abilities deteriorate than my mental ones, (not that I'm any kind of mental giant to begin with).

I have a B-I-L that is still physically able to do things as long as someone is standing right there to remind him every few minutes what to do, but he can't keep a thought for more than a few minutes.
And yes, he forgets he has eaten a meal 15 minutes after he's done and will swear he hasn't had a bite to eat yet...and gets pretty upset about it.

I took him and other b-i-l to the sale barn one time and then to eat catfish a few hours later..when we got him back home, he told my sister "I don't know who those guys were, but all they did was just drive around for hours and I haven't had a bite to eat all day". (he had about 3 helpings of all-you-can-eat catfish at the place in Livingston.)
He didn't even remember being at the auction.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47001
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Dmentia

Postby dun » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Friends of ours from califnorna were out to turkey hunt a couple of years ago. Within a week he couldn;t remember how to get to where he needed to go to hunt. He had made it fine on his own when they got here and that was from him remembering the lay of the land from 2 years before. When they got back home it took a couple of months but they figured out he is now diabetic. As soon as that was under control he was back to just like he had been before. Having seen what it can be like to be that far out of touch really scared the crap out of me. I hope if it happens with me I can remember how to load a gun and where to point it.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8503
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Dmentia

Postby slick4591 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:20 pm

What we've noticed with MIL is that she's more alert early in the morning and gets progressively worse as the day goes on. Asked the doc about it and he called it "Sundowners."
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13923
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Dmentia

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:51 pm

hurleyjd wrote:Just heard this week that a classmate of mine was placed in an Alzheimer's disease Unit. He was touring last year with his wife and cousin with trucks and fifth wheels. Never know when something will slip up and bite you in the butt.

That's for sure ,,,a lot of folks take their health for granted,,I did..got
smacked to reality...God bless him
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13923
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Dmentia

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Horrible disease and sorry about your friend. I have to deal with it every day with someone in my family. At the moment I am paying for caregivers from sunup to dark but after some incidents last week it may turn into round the clock care. I think it would be easier on everyone if we put her in a home but her wish is to die in her home so I'll keep paying caregivers as long as I can.

Don't know much about this but I've been told they are finding a link between dementia and sugar. It sounds like people with heavier meat diets who stay in ketosis more often are less apt to suffer from this disease and they are even injecting some sort of fatty substance into the brain to kick the mind into ketosis rather than running on sugar. (probably botched that explanation up but it sounds like there is some hope)
theyve been linking diet drinks to dementia....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6388
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Dmentia

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Very sorry to hear that.

My grandmother had dementia before she past this year. Her's was drawn out over a couple years. One doctor early on described it best when he said she will have a bad episode, then recover and be better, then have a bad episode then recover and be better. Every time the bad episodes will get longer and the good times will get shorter until finally there are no good time. At that point she will have a bad episode and never recover.

He was right. It was very hard on our family.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21398
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Dmentia

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:12 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Horrible disease and sorry about your friend. I have to deal with it every day with someone in my family. At the moment I am paying for caregivers from sunup to dark but after some incidents last week it may turn into round the clock care. I think it would be easier on everyone if we put her in a home but her wish is to die in her home so I'll keep paying caregivers as long as I can.

Don't know much about this but I've been told they are finding a link between dementia and sugar. It sounds like people with heavier meat diets who stay in ketosis more often are less apt to suffer from this disease and they are even injecting some sort of fatty substance into the brain to kick the mind into ketosis rather than running on sugar. (probably botched that explanation up but it sounds like there is some hope)
theyve been linking diet drinks to dementia....



Well my grandmother and dad both died of Alzheimer's I don't think they every drank one in their life.
If I remember correctly back then they were claiming it was linked to aluminum powder in deodorant.
I don't think they have a clue myself .
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23427
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Dmentia

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:45 pm

My son was talking about it not to long ago and he said they think it has something to do with sugar. More specifically, the brain's inability to break the sugar down for energy. He said the brain needs energy to function and the body can get the energy the easiest from the use of sugar. From what I understood, they found in dementia patients the brain's ability to use sugar shuts down for some reason. This happens over time and goes unnoticed till the brain is damaged then its to late and the damage is irreversible. He says the human body works best when its in the ketosis mode where the body breaks down meat and fats for energy yet we are told we should eat foods according to the food pyramid which are all high in sugar. He says if you eat more meat and fats and stay clear of the carbs and sugar you will be healthier. In other words, eat more beef but pass on the potatoes and bread.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Dmentia

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Jogeephus wrote: He says if you eat more meat and fats and stay clear of the carbs and sugar you will be healthier. In other words, eat more beef but pass on the potatoes and bread.


Similar to the Atkins diet.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Dmentia

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:42 pm

We are, currently, dealing with Dementia in our family, my mother. :( I have to say, Dementia $ucks! It is definitely hard on the family. Fortunately, right now, most of the time Mom is happy. She's still in her own home. Dementia is a terrible thing. :(
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.


Return to “Every Thing Else Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests