Protein

Cattle problems.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

Protein

Postby HDRider » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:24 pm

With the help of Google, I got this...

Cattle called "corn-fed," "grain-fed", or "corn-finished" are typically fattened on corn, soy, and other types of feed for several months before slaughter. As a high-starch, high-energy food, corn decreases the time to fatten cattle and increases carcass yield.

So corn is high energy, used to finish cattle.

That is part is easy for me to understand.

Crude protein is an estimate of the total protein present in a grass. Protein forms the building blocks of muscle and its components are used in every system of the body. Crude protein is positively related to the digestibility of a grass and, in general, as crude protein increases, so does livestock performance (e.g. weight gain, milk production, etc).

What is the primary source of added protein? Beyond grazing, what is a good source of protein? Not asking which supplement, or about tubs. What is a good source of protein beyond those things?

Thanks
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Protein

Postby pricefarm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:30 pm

I use Ddgs as a protein supplement. I either feed it by itself or mixed with ground ear corn.
Not sure if that is what you are asking or not.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Fertilizer

Whole cottonseed at home.
Cows not at home get tubs if they need supplemental protein
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:09 am

HDRider wrote:With the help of Google, I got this...

Cattle called "corn-fed," "grain-fed", or "corn-finished" are typically fattened on corn, soy, and other types of feed for several months before slaughter. As a high-starch, high-energy food, corn decreases the time to fatten cattle and increases carcass yield.

Crude protein is an estimate of the total protein present in a grass. Protein forms the building blocks of muscle and its components are used in every system of the body. Crude protein is positively related to the digestibility of a grass and, in general, as crude protein increases, so does livestock performance (e.g. weight gain, milk production, etc).

What is the primary source of added protein? Beyond grazing, what is a good source of protein? Not asking which supplement, or about tubs. What is a good source of protein beyond those things?

Thanks

Brewers grain fed free choice and DDG
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:44 am

Cotton seed meal
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks

HD in your and my neck of the woods most commercial feeds manufactured for cattle would use cottonseed meal as the primary protein source. You do however have a lot of by-products that have good levels of protein and are very digestible. Wheat middlings, rice bran adn corn gluten feed are just some of the many. Alternative protein sources may be canola and/or sunflower meal. Corn or milo is usually used as the primary source of starches and energy. Cattle of all ages need certain levels of protein for growth but a higher percentage of gain comes from the energy levels of the feed. Stockers will do much better on a 11-14% feed with a high energy level than a 25% feed with a lesser energy level and it will cost much less to feed. No matter what you feed or how much you feed keep in mind that forage (grazing and/or hay/or silage) should always be the primary ingredient in the ration adn you build the feeding program around that.

Feeding horses etc. is a whole nuther ball game.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:41 pm

meat....
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:58 pm

10-12% protien hay(haygrazer has been my best luck), cottonseed as long as it is not a breeding bull, brewers grain, They sell the basic breeders cubes here 2o% at $7. $6 for 15% calling cubes. My cows will maintain well on just the haygrazer. Add any of the above and they do better. But I dont need FAT cattle now.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:13 pm

HD - you were quoting info on FEEDLOT cattle. The soy is the protein used in your info. Once steers reach about 800# ?? the protein level of corn (9%) is all they need. They need hay/grass to keep their rumen working properly.
I'm surprised no-one used soy as a protein source example?? Am I behind time????
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:HD - you were quoting info on FEEDLOT cattle. The soy is the protein used in your info. Once steers reach about 800# ?? the protein level of corn (9%) is all they need. They need hay/grass to keep their rumen working properly.
I'm surprised no-one used soy as a protein source example?? Am I behind time????

Jeanne in the south cottonseed meal is the primary protein source for cattle feeds. Not quite as high in crude protein as soybean meal but still 41%, highly digestible and usually more cost effective than bean meal. Soybean meal down here is used primarily in horse, swine, poultry and some dairy rations.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 pm

TB - thanks for that info.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:35 pm

TexasBred wrote:

Thanks

HD in your and my neck of the woods most commercial feeds manufactured for cattle would use cottonseed meal as the primary protein source. You do however have a lot of by-products that have good levels of protein and are very digestible. Wheat middlings, rice bran adn corn gluten feed are just some of the many. Alternative protein sources may be canola and/or sunflower meal. Corn or milo is usually used as the primary source of starches and energy. Cattle of all ages need certain levels of protein for growth but a higher percentage of gain comes from the energy levels of the feed. Stockers will do much better on a 11-14% feed with a high energy level than a 25% feed with a lesser energy level and it will cost much less to feed. No matter what you feed or how much you feed keep in mind that forage (grazing and/or hay/or silage) should always be the primary ingredient in the ration adn you build the feeding program around that.

Feeding horses etc. is a whole nuther ball game.

Tab all he has to do is ride south a few miles and I'll fix him up with ddg or gluten, whichever I have on hand.
He 80 or so miles from me.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”