Week old scouring calf/ being treated for pneumonia/ please help

Cattle problems.
Cdever
Beginner
Beginner

Week old scouring calf/ being treated for pneumonia/ please help

Postby Cdever » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 pm

My husband brought home a day old calf from auction last Tuesday, a few days later was down and out, called the vet and we started treating her for pneumonia. I've been giving her banamine 2x a day, but yesterday she started having looser stool, this morning it was really water so I added a few bottles of electrolytes with a thickening agent in addition to her normal feedings. I suspect she may have been over eating, so I started giving her smaller amounts of milk replacer, more frequently. The stool thickened during the day, but calf was grinding her teeth a bit. Still over all healthy. This evening, it's projectile water, she took only half the amount of milk replacer, after some persuasion, and when she stopped, she licked at her left side a bit before laying down. I did notice her licking at the left side earlier in the day also. I'm fearful I will be walking out to a dead calf in the morning. Any advice is appreciated
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Re: Week old scouring calf/ being treated for pneumonia/ please help

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:15 am

Sounds like she needs a scour pill yesterday. I ain't no expert on bottle babies but I if I have a calf with liquid stool they get a pill asap. Don't let it go to long it will be dead. Make sure keep it hydrated.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:48 am

wacocowboy wrote:Sounds like she needs a scour pill yesterday. I ain't no expert on bottle babies but I if I have a calf with liquid stool they get a pill asap. Don't let it go to long it will be dead. Make sure keep it hydrated.

x2. :nod:
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:16 am

Sustain III calf bolus and electrolytes only, no replacer. Grinding her teeth is a sign of pain, even with the Banamine. Good luck!
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:32 am

Stop the replacer and give only electrolytes. If she wont drink it, tube it in. Take a stool sample to your vet to see what you're dealing with before you take any advice of what to give it here. Once you know what you're dealing with, your vet will give you what you need. But, until you do that, do not continue to give her replacer and do not let her go without electrolytes....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Cdever
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cdever » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:35 am

I've been giving her electrolytes with a thickening agent, which hardens up the stool, but I was worried about her not getting enough nutrition, so I gave her medicated milk replacer, and the stool became watery again last night. She took 2 qts of electrolytes again this morning, she's mooing, running and jumping, and following me around the yard, quite watery stool. I believe the scours is a result from over feeding, as she hadn't had any loose stool until AFTER she was feeling better from the pneumonia treatment. I was concerned because she had next to nothing to eat for the first 3-4 days of her life, so I was giving an extra bottle in the afternoon (I stopped as soon as the stools began to become loose). The poo is literally like milk coming back out. How long should I continue giving ONLY electrolytes? How often and how much should I give her? (I'm worried about bloat) What electrolytes work best? I don't remember the name of the one I've been using from tractor supply, I picked it because of the thickening agent, I assumed it would work like pectin. She's overall, seemingly healthy. I know it would be detrimental if I allow her to become dehydrated. But I don't want her to starve either. I've read many things that say not to with hold milk feedings because they need it to help repair the gut, but I know in humans, milk hinders the repair process.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:59 am

Sounds like your milk is to rich for her system , cut the milk(powder) back to 2/3 of the cup that comes in the back should be around 5 oz. with a full bottle of water (2 qts) . If she only has milk scours this will help get her on track if no other issues are there. there is no way to know without a fecal test. the scour bolus will help. after her body adjust to the milk you can go back to recommended amount after a few days. if you buying the replacer from tractor supply look at the bag if it has SOY in it throw it away , get the one the with 100% milk soilds IIRC it has the pink band but don't quote me on it.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 am

Cdever wrote:I've been giving her electrolytes with a thickening agent, which hardens up the stool, but I was worried about her not getting enough nutrition, so I gave her medicated milk replacer, and the stool became watery again last night. She took 2 qts of electrolytes again this morning, she's mooing, running and jumping, and following me around the yard, quite watery stool. I believe the scours is a result from over feeding, as she hadn't had any loose stool until AFTER she was feeling better from the pneumonia treatment. I was concerned because she had next to nothing to eat for the first 3-4 days of her life, so I was giving an extra bottle in the afternoon (I stopped as soon as the stools began to become loose). The poo is literally like milk coming back out. How long should I continue giving ONLY electrolytes? How often and how much should I give her? (I'm worried about bloat) What electrolytes work best? I don't remember the name of the one I've been using from tractor supply, I picked it because of the thickening agent, I assumed it would work like pectin. She's overall, seemingly healthy. I know it would be detrimental if I allow her to become dehydrated. But I don't want her to starve either. I've read many things that say not to with hold milk feedings because they need it to help repair the gut, but I know in humans, milk hinders the repair process.

This morning, take a stool sample to the vet. There is no way knowing as to why she's scoured without a stool sample. Takes minutes and its cheap. Then, you can take your vets instructions as to what course to follow.. My guess is, she's been dehydrated and she has organ damage. She may or may not get over it or struggle with it for months. Only a vet can prescribe what she needs..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Cdever
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cdever » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:13 am

I called our vet, he said to do the same- diluting the milk replacer. He said that a stool sample is limited in showing what the underlying problem is, because there is no fever.? He also thinks it's due to the richness of the replacer. He said to just keep giving her electrolytes, skip a milk feeding (replace with more electrolytes) and dilute this evening's milk feeding. Should I be leaving water out for her to drink? I know in a dehydrated human, plain water can throw the sodium levels off to deathly levels. Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'm new to cows
0 x

aprille218
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby aprille218 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:09 am

Yes you can give her a bucket of plain water too. Most will just play with it when they are that young. After she drinks her bottle have some fresh clean water handy to pour into the milk bottle they usually will suck some of that down before they realize it's not milk. You can also add Kaolin ( cattle Pepto Bismal) to her milk bottle each time to help her.
0 x

Cdever
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cdever » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:43 am

Great advice thank you! I realized the new medicated milk replacer that I just purchased, mistakenly was soy protein!!! How did I miss that?! Luckily she only had 2 quarts and I have discontinued the use imediately! I think it will help fatten the pig's up nicely so at least it won't go to waste. I've can you giving her only electrolytes since this morning, switched her to re solve brand, which suggests no milk replacer for two full days, what's everyone's opinion on that length of time?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 pm

And a minimum of 20% fat and 20% protein
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Cdever wrote:Great advice thank you! I realized the new medicated milk replacer that I just purchased, mistakenly was soy protein!!! How did I miss that?! Luckily she only had 2 quarts and I have discontinued the use imediately! I think it will help fatten the pig's up nicely so at least it won't go to waste. I've can you giving her only electrolytes since this morning, switched her to re solve brand, which suggests no milk replacer for two full days, what's everyone's opinion on that length of time?

I use Re Sorb electrolytes and no replacer for 2 days. A shot of Vitamin B Complex will help give her energy or even a couple squirts of Karo syrup in the electrolytes. Ease back into the replacer, dilute it and gradually work up to the recommended amount.
0 x

Cdever
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cdever » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:48 am

Yes, Re Sorb is the one I used, I did just that and she seems to be doing better. Thanks
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”