Dmentia

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Dmentia

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:47 pm

0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Jogeephus wrote:My son was talking about it not to long ago and he said they think it has something to do with sugar. More specifically, the brain's inability to break the sugar down for energy. He said the brain needs energy to function and the body can get the energy the easiest from the use of sugar. From what I understood, they found in dementia patients the brain's ability to use sugar shuts down for some reason. This happens over time and goes unnoticed till the brain is damaged then its to late and the damage is irreversible. He says the human body works best when its in the ketosis mode where the body breaks down meat and fats for energy yet we are told we should eat foods according to the food pyramid which are all high in sugar. He says if you eat more meat and fats and stay clear of the carbs and sugar you will be healthier. In other words, eat more beef but pass on the potatoes and bread.

Good post. Our diets are too high in starches and sugars (carbohydrates). Doctors are moving in that direction. You get a longer, cleaner burn on the fats and proteins. It does not have to be red meat. Fish protein has the benefit of good fats that provide the good high density lipoproteins. Fish is excellent as a breakfast food. If I am going to have a long morning of work, I try to eat catfish, salmon or tilapia.
0 x

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:We are, currently, dealing with Dementia in our family, my mother. :( I have to say, Dementia $ucks! It is definitely hard on the family. Fortunately, right now, most of the time Mom is happy. She's still in her own home. Dementia is a terrible thing. :(

This sounds exactly where we are with our mother, we had to make her stop driving a couple months ago she wasn't happy about that, and I agree this is not going to be good.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Poor old lady friend here.is in the early stages of it...will tell the same story 3 or 4 times in a roll...just minutes apart. You want to tell her. But you just act enthused with each time.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:19 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Jogeephus wrote: He says if you eat more meat and fats and stay clear of the carbs and sugar you will be healthier. In other words, eat more beef but pass on the potatoes and bread.

Similar to the Atkins diet.

Yes, pretty much so. My wife had some blood work done and here cholesterol was high and some other things were not good but rather than putting her on statins and other medicine he told her to cut the carbs and sugars out and eat proteins. In three weeks her cholesterol had dropped 50 points and some other bad numbers dropped significantly. She's lost some weight and she says her mind seems sharper which is all in line with what he said would happen. What was puzzling to me is I would have thought her cholesterol would have increased with the higher meat and fat consumption but he said it doesn't work that way unless you throw things off balance with sugars.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Bright Raven wrote: Fish is excellent as a breakfast food. If I am going to have a long morning of work, I try to eat catfish, salmon or tilapia.

Catfish and tilapia are not the species the nutritionists want you to eat and it's not just for protein.
Salmon, tuna, mackeral, etc are the good ones. Any oily fish.

He says if you eat more meat and fats and stay clear of the carbs and sugar you will be healthier.

Throw type 2 diabetes in the mix, and the whole carb thing changes too. You're supposed to eat lots of carbs with Type 2. Five different servings of carbs--15 grams each, plus a starch, a protein and a fat, at each meal, 3 X/day....It's one of the reasons so many diabetics are overweight and can't lose weight. That, is a LOT of carbs.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:06 am

greybeard wrote:
Bright Raven wrote: Fish is excellent as a breakfast food. If I am going to have a long morning of work, I try to eat catfish, salmon or tilapia.

Catfish and tilapia are not the species the nutritionists want you to eat and it's not just for protein.
Salmon, tuna, mackeral, etc are the good ones. Any oily fish.

He says if you eat more meat and fats and stay clear of the carbs and sugar you will be healthier.

Throw type 2 diabetes in the mix, and the whole carb thing changes too. You're supposed to eat lots of carbs with Type 2. Five different servings of carbs--15 grams each, plus a starch, a protein and a fat, at each meal, 3 X/day....It's one of the reasons so many diabetics are overweight and can't lose weight. That, is a LOT of carbs.

The average American 100 years ago consumed 4 pounds of sugar a year today it's close to 90 lbs.
Sugar is sugar be it corn syrup or cane etc start reading labels it's in everything today especially the corn.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:22 am

I ended up changing my Mom's diapers. I with Dun. Hope someone tells me in time that I can load a gun and cure it. gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:32 am

plumber_greg wrote:I ended up changing my Mom's diapers. I with Dun. Hope someone tells me in time that I can load a gun and cure it. gs

Always said after watching my grandmother and dad if the Dr ever gives me the diagnosis I am writing a note right then. It will say apply 45 acp properly devastating disease on families.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:19 pm

It's a sickening disease and surprising how common it is. My grandmother had it. She would get fighting mad wanting to "go home". We moved her closer years ago as her disease progressed so someone could be with her 24/7. We had to learn what tricks would work to calm her down. Some of the family would only made matters worse. Arguing with her was futile. I picked her up several times walking down the road with a clueless cousin tagging along behind her. I would tell her I was taking her home, then ride her by the pasture to look at the cows and she would mellow right out. She would then do whatever I ask. Like a whole different person. She died unexpectedly last year but was a relief in way. Sad way to live out old age. Spend your whole life making memories .....only to lose them all. I feel for anyone that has it or taking care of someone with it.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 pm

My great grandmother had it before they knew what the disease was...she was a devout Christian woman.. Started cussing and smoking...wound up putting her in moccasin bend..when she became pretty much a zombie...
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 pm

For anyone caring for a person with dementia or alzheimers here's a book that you'll find very helpful. Coach Broyles' wife had alzheimers, and he tells about them being away from the home and her getting upset and wanting to go home. He'd drive to to their house, pull up front, and she'd argue she doesn't live there. He'd pull out of the drive, go around the block and pull in the same driveway. She'd be fine and glad to be home.

Very easy to read and understand. He wrote it like a playbook, thus the title.

http://shop.alz.org/Special-Promotions/Coach-Broyles-Playbook-for-Alzheimers-Caregivers
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 pm

double post
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
Jogeephus wrote: He says if you eat more meat and fats and stay clear of the carbs and sugar you will be healthier. In other words, eat more beef but pass on the potatoes and bread.

Similar to the Atkins diet.

Yes, pretty much so. My wife had some blood work done and here cholesterol was high and some other things were not good but rather than putting her on statins and other medicine he told her to cut the carbs and sugars out and eat proteins. In three weeks her cholesterol had dropped 50 points and some other bad numbers dropped significantly. She's lost some weight and she says her mind seems sharper which is all in line with what he said would happen. What was puzzling to me is I would have thought her cholesterol would have increased with the higher meat and fat consumption but he said it doesn't work that way unless you throw things off balance with sugars.

Look into fasting. It has made a world of difference for my wife. I cured problems I didn't know I had with a short fast to support her. It also holds lots of promise for heading dementia off at the pass.
0 x

Chuckie
GURU
GURU

Postby Chuckie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:22 am

My Mom had dementia/Alzheimers. She started to forget to eat, so it was time for me to move in with her. One of her grandkids would stop by and she would take me to the other room to ask me who it was. So I would tell her and things just continued to decline. Stage 4 lung cancer before the complications of the disease did. It was so difficult to try to make her eat solid food as she could only tastes sweets. She was losing it quickly when the cancer came along. She died in two weeks of her lung cancer diagnosis.
0 x
There are three kinds of service:
Good - Cheap - Fast
Good service Cheap won't be Fast
Good service Fast that won't be Cheap
Fast service Cheap won't be Good

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”