Bugs in feed?

The place to start if you are new!
tom4018
GURU
GURU

Bugs in feed?

Postby tom4018 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:33 am

I was always told not to feed it if it hand bugs in it? What does it do if they did eat it? Small calves is what I am concerned about. Bought a bag of calf starter and fed a few pounds of it and noticed later bugs coming out of the bag when I went back in the shed.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Bugs in feed?

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:46 am

My concern would be if there is bugs, there is bug shiit. Plus you paid for good feed, that some what you should get.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:34 am

tom4018 wrote:I was always told not to feed it if it hand bugs in it? What does it do if they did eat it? Small calves is what I am concerned about. Bought a bag of calf starter and fed a few pounds of it and noticed later bugs coming out of the bag when I went back in the shed.

I wouldn't feed it and also when I got the bags would open them immediately and inspect then put them in plastic barrels with a lid is what I do for calf feed and milk.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 am

what kind of bugs ??? We've fed hundreds of tons of feed that had weevils ground in it.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:42 am

M-5 wrote:what kind of bugs ??? We've fed hundreds of tons of feed that had weevils ground in it.

Really not sure but taking it back, just wondered if the few pounds fed will be harmful.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 am

tom4018 wrote:
M-5 wrote:what kind of bugs ??? We've fed hundreds of tons of feed that had weevils ground in it.

Really not sure but taking it back, just wondered if the few pounds fed will be harmful.

If its store bought I under stand.

around here when corn is gathered it will have some weevils in it and if not treated it will have it in the bins. I have unloaded it and you would have 100s crawling on you in just a few minutes straight out of the field. Even our deer corn we buy by the gravity load has them . I still have some "60's and 70's technology " for treating it to stop the infestation.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 am

All my feed has bugs, some live some dead. I put sevin dust in my mix all when I grind feed and still have live weevils when I feed it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:52 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:

All my feed has bugs, some live some dead. I put sevin dust in my mix all when I grind feed and still have live weevils when I feed it.

You feed your cattle sevin dust?
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Yes, I feed my cows FEED, with probably a minuet amount of sevin dust in it. We spray our corn with liquid sevin and other insecticides to prevent damage from weevils going in the grain bend every time.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:28 pm

The feed for our sheep comes with free weevil more often than not. We have been dusting the feed with diamatateus earth.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Craig Miller wrote:The feed for our sheep comes with free weevil more often than not. We have been dusting the feed with diamatateus earth.

Probably no extra charge for the added "protein". :lol:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:20 am

If I can eat weevils,,it ain't gonna hurt the cows...they aint to bad in grits after their boiled...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:If I can eat weevils,,it ain't gonna hurt the cows...they aint to bad in grits after their boiled...

I'll stick with pepper.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:26 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Yes, I feed my cows FEED, with probably a minuet amount of sevin dust in it. We spray our corn with liquid sevin and other insecticides to prevent damage from weevils going in the grain bend every time.

Gotcha. Never had heard of that.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:05 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:If I can eat weevils,,it ain't gonna hurt the cows...they aint to bad in grits after their boiled...

I'll stick with pepper.

I see your "better half" has convinced you those black things in the grits are black pepper too. :lol2: :lol2:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Return to “Beginners Board”