New to the forum and having cattle

Let us know who you are.
Maxx
Beginner
Beginner

New to the forum and having cattle

Postby Maxx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:56 pm

I am from South Central Alabama. I have always been around cattle but until six months ago never owned any. I bought five heifers and I am really enjoying them. Sounds dumb but I find them theraputic. Trying to figure out what kind of bull to get, borrow, or artificial insemenate with. The heifers are from 12 months to 16 months.
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Re: New to the forum and having cattle

Postby A.J. » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:40 pm

:welcome: That doesn't sound dumb at all. Having cattle can be plenty stressful at times, but one of my favorite things to do if I've had a bad or stressful day is to go out with the cows. What kind of heifers are they?
0 x

GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby GAonmymind » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Welcome. I also find going out just to watch my cattle graze is therapeutic. Sometimes I note the little things on their health and condition also.
0 x

Maxx
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Maxx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:15 pm

The heifers that I got are all different. I got 1 Black Angus, 1 herford, 1 Angus Brahma cross, 1 herford Angus cross and 1 herford longhorn cross. I got different breeds to see if they have different personalities and dispositions. They do.
I like them all but seem to be more partial to the Angus.
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:35 am

Since you seem to be more partial to the Angus, a calving ease Angus or Brangus bull would probably be a good fit for them. Either of those two breeds should get you a black calf and cross well with the girls you have. If you have facilities and access to a good A.I. Tech, that is the quickest way to improve your herd and will allow you to carry one more cow than if you had a bull running full time with them.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:21 am

Stick to black angus for a heifer's first calf, calving ease is very important especially for newbies.
Contact your local A.I. technician to get them bred to calve before 30 months of age, so breed them at 15-20 months of age.
0 x

Maxx
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Maxx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:12 pm

I was looking at some sights for ordering seemen for AI. Is 20 to 25 dollars bout average per straw? Still trying to find a tech in my area also to get prices on doing it
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Id say you could find quite a bit in the $20-25/straw range. You might check with the large animal vets in your area and they might have some contacts for you, or do it themselves.
0 x

Maxx
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Maxx » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:45 pm

I talked to the vet today, they do the cidr method for AI. Is it safe for the heifers? All are over 14 months of age with exception of one she is like 5 days shy of 13. Would you wait a month to do all, hold her out, or go ahead with all of them?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Yes, cidr is safe and recommended for heifers, A.I. them all in a month to a black angus bull.
BUT you still need to find a local A.I. technician... right?
0 x

Maxx
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Maxx » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 pm

This vet that I talked to does the AI. He said the price for everything would be $75.00 per heifer. Is that about right? That is including Black Angus semen.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:29 am

Maxx wrote:This vet that I talked to does the AI. He said the price for everything would be $75.00 per heifer. Is that about right? That is including Black Angus semen.

If that includes the semen, it sounds like a bargain (says the guy that had 3 yearling bulls get into a shovin match thru a fence yesterday and now has 50' of fence to fix)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Maxx
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Maxx » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:38 pm

I have a question. The private part on one of my heifers doesn't look right. She pees fine and acts fine. I will try to explain it the best I can without sounding like a pervert. It doesn't have lips like a vagina does, it looks more like a second butt hole. Any comments would be appreciated.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 pm

Maxx wrote:I have a question. The private part on one of my heifers doesn't look right. She pees fine and acts fine. I will try to explain it the best I can without sounding like a pervert. It doesn't have lips like a vagina does, it looks more like a second butt hole. Any comments would be appreciated.

You are referencing the vulva not the vagina.

Heifers sometimes have a very compact vulva. I am speculating that is why there is not a lot of lip (proper term: labium majora). To be sure, post a picture. One of the traits of a freemartin, is a diminished labium majora.
0 x

Maxx
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Maxx » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:37 pm

I have a question. Earlier I was asking about AI. I was misquoted on the price for the vet AI ing my heifers. The price is 75 without semen, 105 with a standard Angus. Would I be better off ordering my own? If so where and what would be a good bull for small birthweight and good herd improvement? Thanks for any help.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”